Picture Share G Sedan Th ultimate forum to view and post high definition pictures of your G Sedan.

B n' Yellow G

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 PM
xzeus
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man that looks pretty simple to do
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Plasti-Dip II?
Hardly. Plasti Dip is a legitimate quality product that is being used by a lot if G owners in a way it's not designed for. And that I personally don't like or think looks good. This appears to be a dye designed for what it's being used for. And the pictures of look goid to me. The external accents aren't my taste at all, but the colored stitching looks great. I've wanted to do this since I first got my car and just never knewour there was a method that would look classy and not cheap tacky. Now I know.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Hardly. Plasti Dip is a legitimate quality product that is being used by a lot if G owners in a way it's not designed for. And that I personally don't like or think looks good. This appears to be a dye designed for what it's being used for. And the pictures of look goid to me. The external accents aren't my taste at all, but the colored stitching looks great. I've wanted to do this since I first got my car and just never knewour there was a method that would look classy and not cheap tacky. Now I know.
Point taken. I guess we differ in opinion here. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to use Plasti-Dip. We have seen people on this site use weather stripping to create a "lip" for their cars. That is not the designed purpose of weather stripping, but some do it. The product description for this fabric marker says it is "Ideal for light and dark colored fabrics. Use it to decorate aprons, t-shirts, totes, denim, and canvas shoes." I suppose the argument could be made that using it on a leather car seat is not "what it is designed for." To the same end, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to use a fabric pen. I guess I just wouldn't do it.

Some people prefer the flat finish Plasti-Dip provides on their emblems and, clearly, some people like the results this pen provides. I am not saying the OP's seats look bad. They do not. Personally, just as I won't use Plasti-Dip on my car, I don't know that I would ever use a fabric marker. (For the record, Crayola makes fabric markers, as well.)

To each his own. Like I said, it doesn't look bad. I'm on board to see the results as this becomes the new trend around here...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Point taken. I guess we differ in opinion here. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to use Plasti-Dip. We have seen people on this site use weather stripping to create a "lip" for their cars. That is not the designed purpose of weather stripping, but some do it. The product description for this fabric marker says it is "Ideal for light and dark colored fabrics. Use it to decorate aprons, t-shirts, totes, denim, and canvas shoes." I suppose the argument could be made that using it on a leather car seat is not "what it is designed for." To the same end, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to use a fabric pen. I guess I just wouldn't do it.

Some people prefer the flat finish Plasti-Dip provides on their emblems and, clearly, some people like the results this pen provides. I am not saying the OP's seats look bad. They do not. Personally, just as I won't use Plasti-Dip on my car, I don't know that I would ever use a fabric marker. (For the record, Crayola makes fabric markers, as well.)

To each his own. Like I said, it doesn't look bad. I'm on board to see the results as this becomes the new trend around here...
That's going to be my next mod for sure! Haha!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts

I think the problem is that you're used to spending thousands on mods that you can't justify a $4 mod
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

OP, can you provide a link to the exact product you used please?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do they make a JDM fabric pen?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
erick_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha looks good!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Roland958

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any arts and crafts store should carry those (even Walmart).

Here is what I used.

DECOFABRIC : OFFICIAL MARVY UCHIDA STORE
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Roland958
Any arts and crafts store should carry those (even Walmart).

Here is what I used.

DECOFABRIC : OFFICIAL MARVY UCHIDA STORE
Thank you.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
I think the problem is that you're used to spending thousands on mods that you can't justify a $4 mod
... Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know you think I'm 'The Mod Snob' or whatever, Sam. And I'm sure the "JDM fabric pen" remark was a little dig at me, too.

In all honesty, though, you're probably right. I don't think it would ever occur to me to take a marker to my seats. I give the OP credit. Like I said, the end result doesn't look bad at all. It actually looks good from the couple pictures provided. I will admit that I have never seen something like this up close, but if it doesn't look, to use Jeremy's terms, cheap and tacky (or if one cannot immediately tell that the colored stitching is the result of a marker) then I will certainly concede that this is a nice, economical modification.

From those pictures alone, if the OP had posted that he had his seats re-stitched, I don't think I would have questioned him.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I honestly didn't know it was a regular old paint pen until he said it was. I presumed it was some sort of fabric dye designed for this type of thing. and while better photos to show detail would be great, the cost is low enough that I'm willing to experiment with it on an older car first so that I can see how it will look in my G. If it looks as good as his photos seem to from what I can see, I'm willing to try it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm wondering if this dye will go over the black stitching like our shift boot ?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
@ BB: You can use anything to color sticking. I've had friends go as far as using colored sharpie pens to color their stitching, and unless they told you no one would be the wiser. This does preduce a permanent result which I've seen in person and does not look bad at all. It is very economical solution in deed.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
@ BB: You can use anything to color sticking. I've had friends go as far as using colored sharpie pens to color their stitching, and unless they told you no one would be the wiser. This does preduce a permanent result which I've seen in person and does not look bad at all. It is very economical solution in deed.
Wouldn't sharpie stain the leather ?

Quick Reply: B n' Yellow G