Picture Share G Coupe Th ultimate forum to view and post high definition pictures of your G Coupe.

I Added Side Markers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Maybe I’m a party pooper here but there’s no practical reason for such side markers in that the amber part of the OEM headlights perform the same function. If it’s just another mod to invoke some sort of originality then I guess disturbing the otherwise clean look of the front fender is worth it.
A lot of cars come with them, I consider them a safety feature on my Z. They give warning to those next to you when you have your turn signal on. The plain fact is they do serve a purpose if he wired them correctly.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:58 AM
D_Rek

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RDDLINE
I can barely put stickers on straight! lol That kind of job takes some serious huevos! Nicely done!
Thanks Bro. Lol
It's ok. I still have problems with stickers too. Haha
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 AM
D_Rek

Originally Posted by Tazicon
A lot of cars come with them, I consider them a safety feature on my Z. They give warning to those next to you when you have your turn signal on. The plain fact is they do serve a purpose if he wired them correctly.
Mos def Tazicon. I completely agree with that.
That's why I'm gonna wire mines to blink and stay on.
It'll be a form & function kinda thing.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Tazicon

Originally Posted by D_Rek
Mos def Tazicon. I completely agree with that.
That's why I'm gonna wire mines to blink and stay on.
It'll be a form & function kinda thing.

There you go buddy! Nice job BTW. I would be scared to take on a project like that. You only get one chance at the cuts!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
There you go buddy! Nice job BTW. I would be scared to take on a project like that. You only get one chance at the cuts!
if you mess up on cutting, just make the holes bigger and put these babies on.

D_rek, what color lights are you going to use for them? amber or white?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
D_Rek

Thanks sir.
Yea, the first side marker i know i was scared. lol

Originally Posted by myk1013
if you mess up on cutting, just make the holes bigger and put these babies on.

D_rek, what color lights are you going to use for them? amber or white?

Lol, I'm jus glad to did most of my friends honda's to know that you cut small then cut into the size of the marker.

I wish i could change the blub but its sealed inside the housing, so i'll be rocking amber till it burns out then ill figure out how to get inside it.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
If they were such a helpful safety feature then I’m sure they would be required by the feds. But as I said before, the side amber lights that are mandatory serve that purpose nicely.

And I don’t see a lot of cars with this redundancy unless it’s an older car. My old ’74 Porsche 914 had them to meet the new law at the time. Even then, I thought they spoiled the clean look of the car and were out of place as shown below. But I guess I was a party pooper back then too.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If they were such a helpful safety feature then I’m sure they would be required by the feds. But as I said before, the side amber lights that are mandatory serve that purpose nicely.

And I don’t see a lot of cars with this redundancy unless it’s an older car. My old ’74 Porsche 914 had them to meet the new law at the time. Even then, I thought they spoiled the clean look of the car and were out of place as shown below. But I guess I was a party pooper back then too.

There's alot of things that are helpful / useful that aren't required by the feds.

Not everyone has the same perception of having a "clean" look as yours. A lot of the non USDM cars have sidemarkers today, whether European or Asian cars.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Not really feeling it, ruins the clean look imo. I have seen the LED side markers on G35s and found them really clean with the car. But on the G37, it's not necessary and really takes away the clean look. But different strokes for different folks. Props to you on originality and having the ***** to cut into the fenders.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by D_Rek
Thanks twothree.
Sadly it's a halogen, I had a LED ready tho. :/
U can't open the housing to get to the bulb. Maybe if i baked it but i'll pass for now until the bulb does burn out. lol

It's the CF AIT roof spoiler.
I don't think the amber bulbs are even halogen. I think they are standard incandescent bulbs. The bulb does not seem to be replaceable so if it dies, the assembly has to be changed out. The upside is that they are easy to remove.

Detailed pictures of the assembly here:

G35Driver - View Single Post - JDM 350GT Skyline side marker lights ...

and here:

G35Driver - View Single Post - JDM 350GT Skyline side marker lights ...
Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe I’m a party pooper here but there’s no practical reason for such side markers in that the amber part of the OEM headlights perform the same function. If it’s just another mod to invoke some sort of originality then I guess disturbing the otherwise clean look of the front fender is worth it.
The amber portion of the headlights are not visible to other drivers at the rear quarter panels who thinking about changing into the same lane that I'm about to change into.

They are also not very original since they are required in a few other countries in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

The nice thing is that we have a choice in the US. I just wished they'd at least make it a factory option here.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by terrycs
The amber portion of the headlights are not visible to other drivers at the rear quarter panels who thinking about changing into the same lane that I'm about to change into.

They are also not very original since they are required in a few other countries in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

The nice thing is that we have a choice in the US. I just wished they'd at least make it a factory option here.
The amber front/red rear side light law is designed to spot a driver's direction when passing in front of a vehicle such as in dark intersections. True, they may not spot someone changing into the same lane that you may change into, but any safe driver will not change into a lane unless the next lane over is also clear. This is how I was taught to drive.

At any rate, I find it encouraging that some members here are concerned with safety features that are not yet required. Considering how many of us covet various illegal mods like tinted windshields, and some of us discard other safety devices like TPMS sensors, it’s nice to know that safety is still a major concern.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
At any rate, I find it encouraging that some members here are concerned with safety features that are not yet required. Considering how many of us covet various illegal mods like tinted windshields, and some of us discard other safety devices like TPMS sensors, it’s nice to know that safety is still a major concern.
I knew that was coming!

I have to say, on this one, I agree with Chekov.

Was this modification really done for safety reasons OR was it done so the vehicle would look like the non-USDM version of the car? If the main concern surrounding this car is safety, I might consider lightening up that limo tint...

OP, I give you credit for the DIY initiative. This took some gall and came out nice...
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Tazicon

There are places where you can be passing a car and not see their turn signals when they are changing lanes. When the side of the car flashes, or in the case of many pick up the lights on the mirror flashes it then you can see it. Yes they do server a purpose.

This amazes me, you, I would think, would be the very first one to advocate any additional safety measures into a car from all of your previous posts. You sure are against any mods that take away from safety right? Why are you against one that adds to the safety it?????

Also I love them on my Z. Yes this is a stock item, far better to have these than lighted door sills!
Name:  DSC00024small.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  56.9 KB
Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

This amazes me, you, I would think, would be the very first one to advocate any additional safety measures into a car from all of your previous posts. You sure are against any mods that take away from safety right? Why are you against one that adds to the safety it?????
Don’t get me wrong, I am not against these markers. If the feds were to make these additional side markers mandatory I would accept them as another safety device that may be useful.

But I can see it now, some members here would be posting questions on how to remove them and how to patch up the holes. Other posters would scream that the feds are going too far, screwing up our cars for useless safety devices, vowing to pay the tickets rather than put them back; or boasting, “I removed my side markers a year ago and I’ve never been pulled over for it”.

Quick Reply: I Added Side Markers