Picture Share G Coupe Th ultimate forum to view and post high definition pictures of your G Coupe.

Vossen Got 10.5? Lets give it a try...Success!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Can'tGme

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks good.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap......
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks nice! Second pic looks sweet!!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
cdeez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow..that looks dope man. im pretty selective as to what i comment on that for sure looks good.

keep it up brotha..

i wonder why people hate on vossen, i personally like the wheels and no offense to folks with 3 piece wheels or supposely high end wheels but those wheels bend, crack, warp, and scrape like any other wheels and sometimes worse.

im rocking forgestars btw if anybody wants to take a shot.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 PM
eMPeezy
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
damnnnn jay! perfect combo
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by cdeez
wow..that looks dope man. I’m pretty selective as to what I comment on that for sure looks good.

keep it up brotha..

I wonder why people hate on vossen, I personally like the wheels and no offense to folks with 3 piece wheels or supposedly high end wheels but those wheels bend, crack, warp, and scrape like any other wheels and sometimes worse.

I’m rocking forgestars btw if anybody wants to take a shot.
I don’t think it has anything to do with quality it's more or less because up until the release of the CV4,5 & 7 they released only one model wheel at a time and everyone with Vossens would switch to the same "new" setup and it gets really old seeing the same thing over and over.

As far as 3 piece wheels being just as susceptible to damage here is a take from HRE on that subject. I won't drill too much into it on this thread, but I will tell you that you are misinformed if you believe what you said. Also not all cast wheels are as strong as the next even in the same design. I'm not saying anything negative about Vossen with this, just correcting what you said.

Cast Wheels vs. Forged Wheels
Often we talk about quality when we talk about forged wheels but what exactly are we talking about? Well, it turns out that quality encompasses just about everything from start to finish and since wheels are functional as well as stylistic, a lack of quality can adversely affect the performance of your car or even worse… cause a safety concern.

So there is a lot that goes into making a high quality wheel: raw materials, design, engineering, fitment, production accuracy, finish quality, etc. Let’s just start at the beginning for now and discuss the raw materials and specifically castings vs. forgings.

Back in the old days (2000!!) there were only a small handful of companies making forged wheels. At the time, the major discussion was always about cast wheels vs. forged wheels. Things have changed recently but in case you haven’t kept up I’ll give a quick and rather simplistic summary.

Casting
Basically castings are made from molten aluminum that is poured into a mold. Lot’s of fire and heat. After it is cast and cooled, there is usually some final machining and finishing work to get it to fit the right application and to have a nice finish. Some cast wheels are heat-treated as well. This is how most wheels are made and a high quality pressure cast product that is well engineered can indeed result in a very nice quality wheel. What did I just say??!!! Think about it… if all cast wheels were terrible, we wouldn’t all have them on our cars from the factory. However, some poor quality aftermarket cast wheels that aren’t made to OE standards can definitely be of inferior quality. The major advantage to cast wheels is that they are relatively cheap and really easy to make in high volumes. The major disadvantage is that they tend to be heavier than forged wheels due to their relatively low material strength properties.

Forging
Forged wheels are different in that they start out as aluminum billet, typically 6-7 inch diameter bar stock. These are then cut into the right length (the volume needed), heated, and pressed into shape (using very accurate dies and successive steps) under about 6-12000 tons of pressure. The forging process imparts a lot of energy into the metal and changes the internal grain structure of the aluminum (metals have a crystalline structure) and this change in the grain structure is what gives a forging additional strength in comparison to the original billet rod. They are then heat treated to a T6 condition in the case of 6061-T6 to get the right mix of strength and ductility. A forged aluminum wheel has a higher specific strength as well as higher toughness (engineering term for its ability to absorb energy) in comparison to a casting. This allows an engineer to design a wheel that is lighter, stiffer and less susceptible to cracking under impact and with better fatigue properties than a casting.

So now that you know a forged wheel can be lighter and stronger than a casting, why does it matter? That’ll be part of my next post where I’ll discuss unsprung mass and rotational inertia.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM
AceJack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay when's the next time youre coming out so i can see this in person? Looks better then your last set up
Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AceJack
Jay when's the next time youre coming out so i can see this in person? Looks better then your last set up
Been super busy with work but hopefully soon ill be at one of the meets.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
How do you like the 4s Vs the 1s? I still loved the CV1s on your ride, you pulled them off best. CV4s I wanna try Full Graphite and the 5s an 7s lol.

Make a video man, I wanna see rollers!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
BooSa37

Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels
How do you like the 4s Vs the 1s? I still loved the CV1s on your ride, you pulled them off best. CV4s I wanna try Full Graphite and the 5s an 7s lol.

Make a video man, I wanna see rollers!!!
CV1 LE will always be my fav's but I'm more than happy with CV4's. In regards video I need to find someone...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sick. Needs Campbell's soup
Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Beautiful man!! Your G is a inspiration for all graphite G's out there, great work!!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 AM
BooSa37

Originally Posted by Polar_g37s
Beautiful man!! Your G is a inspiration for all graphite G's out there, great work!!
thanks !!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks Great!! I just saw your old CV1 LE's the other day.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
enshadow

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i wonder how the CV 7 will look with 10.5 all around. but you make those CV-4 look sick

Quick Reply: Vossen Got 10.5? Lets give it a try...Success!