Picture Share G Coupe Th ultimate forum to view and post high definition pictures of your G Coupe.

Athens Blue With Autokits-X Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:48 PM
G2Envy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rarely go above 100mph. I drive like a granny and try to stay at 75 on the freeway.

The lip fit's great but as I posted above, when the lip is on, it sorta snaps in on the sides. However, their is about an inch air gap between the bottom of the lip and the bottom of the bumper. If I were to use screws (which I haven't ATM) I'd have to find some longer ones to compensate for the air gap.

I don't think the lip is going anywhere though I had to use some force in getting the sides to "snap" into place. I added more 3M tape than what came on the lip for more sticking power. The lip also rests on the front area near the faux vents which is why I opted in not using screws. So unless I hit something on the road I don't think the lip is going anywhere? It's a tight fit as I said.

I believe a few people on here didn't use screws too right? I don't track my car and to tell you the truth I've only hit 120 once since I've owned it. I have no need to go any faster on city streets.

I don't think I'll mold it in as the lines don't bother me. I'll try to get measurements on clearance today as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
thejumpoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm considering this lip myself Merritt. We should get together soon so I can see it in person
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by G2Envy
I rarely go above 100mph. I drive like a granny and try to stay at 75 on the freeway.

The lip fit's great but as I posted above, when the lip is on, it sorta snaps in on the sides. However, their is about an inch air gap between the bottom of the lip and the bottom of the bumper. If I were to use screws (which I haven't ATM) I'd have to find some longer ones to compensate for the air gap.

I don't think the lip is going anywhere though I had to use some force in getting the sides to "snap" into place. I added more 3M tape than what came on the lip for more sticking power. The lip also rests on the front area near the faux vents which is why I opted in not using screws. So unless I hit something on the road I don't think the lip is going anywhere? It's a tight fit as I said.

I believe a few people on here didn't use screws too right? I don't track my car and to tell you the truth I've only hit 120 once since I've owned it. I have no need to go any faster on city streets.

I don't think I'll mold it in as the lines don't bother me. I'll try to get measurements on clearance today as well.
Looks great man. I'm in the process of placing my order with Alex in a couple of days. BUT I suggest you use some screws to secure that. I'd be scared to drive it like that even at 40-50 mph! Water can get in there and mess with the stickiness of the tape, bumps can loosen it up a bit and before you know it, you'll feel like you ran over something and see that lip flying behind you from your rearview mirror.

Have you thought about powdercoating your wheels? Or are you going with aftermarkets?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
AUTOKITS-X
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I rarely go above 100mph. I drive like a granny and try to stay at 75 on the freeway.l.
the car looks great with the lip
(sides skirts are comming up..)

Now! to make it secure you have to put at least 1-2 screws on each side (around the wheels) and that can be enough to hold the lip and the double side tape.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow your car is hot Bro. You definitely need some hot wheels now to match. I have some wheels up for sale if you're interested. I'll trade you my aftermarket wheels for your S wheels + cash too! Pm me if you're interested.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheel-a...ed-wheels.html
Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
Wow your car is hot Bro. You definitely need some hot wheels now to match. I have some wheels up for sale if you're interested. I'll trade you my aftermarket wheels for your S wheels + cash too! Pm me if you're interested.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheel-a...ed-wheels.html
ha ha! nice sales pitch bro.

But yeah, those wheels would look great on your ride.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 AM
G2Envy

Originally Posted by AUTOKITS-X
the car looks great with the lip
(sides skirts are comming up..)

Now! to make it secure you have to put at least 1-2 screws on each side (around the wheels) and that can be enough to hold the lip and the double side tape.
Are you talking about inside the fender area? Where the edge snaps into place on the side of the bumper right? I was thinking about doing this instead of the bottom.

Thanks for the comments guys. I wasn't expecting everyone to tell me to get rims haha. The "sales pitch" was awesome by the way.

Oh yea I forgot to address my headlights. I know getting them painted looks better but I don't have any downtime with the car. I need it for work as I go on base a lot. I was close to almost going half on an extra pair of stock headlights with a friend so that we could send in our lights without any downtime. IMO painted > overlays > stock. The overlays will have to do for now

I was also able to measure the font today. I've got ~5 inches of clearance all around.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I was also able to measure the font today. I've got ~5 inches of clearance all around.
So this lip only dropped you less than an inch in total?
That is a very cool.

Thanks for the info!

Shane D
Old 02-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Canadian144

Awesome, your car looks good man. But you definitely need some wheels haha!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 PM
w0ady

ya id definitely recommend putting 1-2 screws on the inside of the wheel well where the lip wraps around. would suck to run over it after spending all that $.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM
AUTOKITS-X
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you talking about inside the fender area? Where the edge snaps into place on the side of the bumper right? I was thinking about doing this instead of the bottom.
Yes, that's it
just put a couple screws or rivets and you will be good.

Originally Posted by w0ady
ya id definitely recommend putting 1-2 screws on the inside of the wheel well where the lip wraps around. would suck to run over it after spending all that $.
+1
Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
+1 on securing your investment with some rivets/screws
Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im gonna use velcro hehe. so i can put it on just for car shows
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM
G2Envy

Yep I'll definitely be putting one screw at least in each side.

I found out I can't make it out of my work driveway without scraping today =( Scraped the bottom a little so when I got home I put some painters tape along the whole bottom of the lip. This way hopefully instead of scraping up the lip, the tape will take most, if not all the damage. I put 3 layers of painters tape along the bottom. I don't know how other people with less than 5 inches of clearance get around!

It doesn't bother me as I don't see it unless I'm looking underneath the car. Luckily my car is Athens blue so the tape blends in better

Although since the lip doesn't have a clear bra over it like my front bumper, I'm pretty sure it'll get beat up with paint chips later on. Hmmm maybe I should just put painters tape along the whole lip!! haha j/k that's too ghetto. Only on long trips would I do that.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 AM
jwoods986

Looks good and the Athens Blue is beautiful! Just wish it was offered on the sedan

Personally, I think the stock S wheels look fine.

Quick Reply: Athens Blue With Autokits-X Front Lip