Picture Share G Coupe Th ultimate forum to view and post high definition pictures of your G Coupe.

Initial pics of Status Elite Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
lakers8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lmao couldnt all of that be in one post instead of 10 of them
Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
What is the down side to having the parts clear coated? And I'm talking professional automotive type paint.
From Status Elite:
"clear coat yellows and delaminates over time"
Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
From Status Elite:
"clear coat yellows and delaminates over time"
Ok, I've heard that before. Why? What makes this application of the clear coat different? Does the resin make it yellow? The clear coat on the car doesn't yellow or delaminate. I've had all kinds of parts clear coated and they don't have this issue. I want to know why this happens. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to know the answers. I've heard of this same problem happening with clear coats on wheels. Never understood why.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to know too.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OK so I just received my same pieces today and honestly they look good. No scatches. They have a little haze out of the box but I will Pledge them and that should take care of it. The cuts and weave all look good to me. I am satisfied overall.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 PM
IvoryG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
OK so I just received my same pieces today and honestly they look good. No scatches. They have a little haze out of the box but I will Pledge them and that should take care of it. The cuts and weave all look good to me. I am satisfied overall.
That's good let me know how yours fit.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Status Elite
Former Sponsor

Awesome, post some pictures up!

vrquick, did you install yours yet? Did it fit correctly?

Kevin

Last edited by Status Elite; 03-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 AM
w0ady

i vote for a polish and clear coat...
Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Status Elite
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Ok, I've heard that before. Why? What makes this application of the clear coat different? Does the resin make it yellow? The clear coat on the car doesn't yellow or delaminate. I've had all kinds of parts clear coated and they don't have this issue. I want to know why this happens. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to know the answers. I've heard of this same problem happening with clear coats on wheels. Never understood why.
I will have Rob answer this for you tomorrow!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed them all last night and the radiator cover is money. Looks great, fit perfect, no issues what so ever.

Now the battery/brake fluid covers is another story. I could not get them to sit totally flush. The first one I did not line up the front edge pefectly with the cover so it hung over a couple mm and would not lie in there so I had to take the blow dryer to it to remove it and redo that one, I thought that would take care of it but it did not. Then I did the second one and was very careful to line it up right and still wont sit flush when I snap the covers down.

I am considering taking my Dremmel to it to shave the edges down thinking that may help but I dont know if that will mess them up.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM
w0ady

^pics or ban chad.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Status Elite
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kidcane
I installed them all last night and the radiator cover is money. Looks great, fit perfect, no issues what so ever.

Now the battery/brake fluid covers is another story. I could not get them to sit totally flush. The first one I did not line up the front edge pefectly with the cover so it hung over a couple mm and would not lie in there so I had to take the blow dryer to it to remove it and redo that one, I thought that would take care of it but it did not. Then I did the second one and was very careful to line it up right and still wont sit flush when I snap the covers down.

I am considering taking my Dremmel to it to shave the edges down thinking that may help but I dont know if that will mess them up.
Hey Kidcane, the fitment of the oem covers by itself allow very little clearance if you noticed before installation. Our initial design was to cover all edges around the oem cover. The distance from the edge to carbon was just thousands of an inch clearance!! So we trimmed all edges except for the side closest to the front of the car, just to give it better looks. What we still retained is the rounded edges where the carbon rolls over rather than a flat piece with no rounded edges. We understand it is a very tight fit to start with, but we would like to retain as much detailed design as possible. I personally pushed the carbon torward the rear of the vehile so the front lip sits in the crack. It works and looks good. Let me know if you decide to dremel for better fitment. I recommend to tuck in the front lip, which looks great. Again, let me know if you decide to dremel, either you can send it to me and I can do it for you, or I can give you pointers if you decide to do it.

Thanks for the feedback,
Kevin
Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
IvoryG

Radiator cover fit great. The fit on the battery cover was good but the master cylinder side is a little off. I may have to trim the front rolled edge to get it to fit nice.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 PM
COR Photog

SICK!!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Steven at JIC

Awesome stuff guys. You don't use clear coat because it defeats the purpose of dry carbon. Dry Carbon is about weight, and excessive resin and clear coat makes for additional weight. Plus if you check out real gangster parts like Mugen Dry Carbon Hoods or ASM for S2000 it has absolutely no shimmer, its dull. For example

It gives a quality that only dry carbon can, although i have personally seen Status Elites carbon and its damn glossy for dry carbon with a super clean weave. Your not gonna get that from cheap china stuff.....

Quick Reply: Initial pics of Status Elite Carbon Fiber