Picture Share G Coupe Th ultimate forum to view and post high definition pictures of your G Coupe.

Injen Intakes Installed! + a few other things I never took pics of

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No before and after dyno?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:53 PM
jedmonds
Registered Member

Anyway to write a DIY guide with pics on how to install the injen thru the wheel well, when you have your next installl?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomG37
You really shouldnt need to worry about changing the ECU programing on a N/A car with just exhaust and intake. The ECU should be able to learn and adapt to the mods.
oooh ok im an amatuer ive never done more than intake as a performance mod on a car before (well springs too) so i dunno...i hear different opinions on the subject.... i hear stories of how an intake and exhaust that combine for 20 whp without ecu tuning can usually optimize for 30whp or so wit proper ECu tuning...its all about how much the air/fuel ratio adapts right? i hope our cars learn well...i know a lotta computer systems in it all "talk to each other" so we'll see haha...

BTW to the OP let us know if u catch any SES or CEL lights with your new injen + greddy setup!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:59 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
oooh ok im an amatuer ive never done more than intake as a performance mod on a car before (well springs too) so i dunno...i hear different opinions on the subject.... i hear stories of how an intake and exhaust that combine for 20 whp without ecu tuning can usually optimize for 30whp or so wit proper ECu tuning...its all about how much the air/fuel ratio adapts right? i hope our cars learn well...i know a lotta computer systems in it all "talk to each other" so we'll see haha...

BTW to the OP let us know if u catch any SES or CEL lights with your new injen + greddy setup!!!
No problem glad I could help, I have a turbo G35 so I know a little bit about this car too.

You are correct about getting more power out of the intake and exhaust with the ECU tune, the car does not need it, but it will give you more power.

The reason why most people don't get the ECU tuned on the G's is becuase you need to remove the ECU from the car, and ship it to a shop that can do ECU tuning like Technosquare. Its not cheap and you lose the car for 3 days because you have no ECU. Its better to have all of the N/A mods done before you spend the money to get it tuned.

Also he should not have any SES or CEL lights, because those usually come on when you replace the cats with test pipes or HFC's.

Tom
Old 06-21-2008, 01:12 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomG37
No problem glad I could help, I have a turbo G35 so I know a little bit about this car too.

You are correct about getting more power out of the intake and exhaust with the ECU tune, the car does not need it, but it will give you more power.

The reason why most people don't get the ECU tuned on the G's is becuase you need to remove the ECU from the car, and ship it to a shop that can do ECU tuning like Technosquare. Its not cheap and you lose the car for 3 days because you have no ECU. Its better to have all of the N/A mods done before you spend the money to get it tuned.

Also he should not have any SES or CEL lights, because those usually come on when you replace the cats with test pipes or HFC's.

Tom
Thanks Tom! Yeah I guess I am safe just installin my Injen, resetting ECU...Then resetting ECU again after installing an exhaust...and then down the road maybe Ill send my ECU in for a retune to maximize the intake & exhaust...but the crummy thing is if later i revert back to stock airbox and/or stock exhaust i will want to "detune" the ECU back to stock by the same guys that tuned it right? I guess given that it may be worth foregoing the ECU-tune benefits and keeping stock ECU and just letting it "learn". What do U recommend? (bear in mind the only bolt-on mods I plan on are intake/exhaust and I am never going FI)

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 06-21-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 PM
TomG37

Thanks Tom! Yeah I guess I am safe just installin my Injen, resetting ECU...Then resetting ECU again after installing an exhaust...and then down the road maybe Ill send my ECU in for a retune to maximize the intake & exhaust...but the crummy thing is if later i revert back to stock airbox and/or stock exhaust i will want to "detune" the ECU back to stock by the same guys that tuned it right?
You really should not have to reset the ECU after installing the intake and exhaust. From what I understand, the ECU takes about 1,000 miles to learn no matter what. So if you reset it, it takes 1,000 miles, and if you don't reset it, it will still take 1,000 miles.

If putting the stock parts back in caused you to have a problem, the company that tunes the ECU usually gives a discounted price if you get another tune from them. So even if that was the case, it wouldnt cost as much as the first re-flash.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM
The1andOnly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, sorry for not replying guys, I was at Cars & Cofee this morning.

Originally Posted by Wicked_limitz
congrats.....how do you like the intakes?

i didnt know grubbs had a version 2 spoiler? I dont see it on their website? Can you tell me where you got it from? im loving it.

I love the intakes, felt them immediately as I pulled out of the shop

They don't really state that it's version 2, I was speaking to the sales guy(forgot his name) and he told me that this is their second version that they are using. The LEDs are different from the first one. He also said that the color matching is much better. I just got it from their website.

Originally Posted by JLai
I'm curious, how hard is it to reach the smaller reservoir to put in windshield washer fluid?
They actually have an extension tube that goes all the way up to the same basically the same level where the stock resevoir was.

Originally Posted by erasat
I'm having problems with the spoilers, Am I seeing right?, Do you still have the chrome and you put the other in top of it?, If that's what I'm seeing, Can you take day pictures?, I'm looking for exactly the same but all the information I've been seen doesn't specify if that's possible.
Yes, you take out the chrome piece. I used the DIY that a member posted. Just search "Grubbs Spoiler" and it will come up.

are u runnin GREDDY exhaust & Injen Intake with stock ECU programming? How does it feel? Do the parts feel like they're workin in relative harmony? Are you considering ECU tuning?
Yea, I just reset the ecu when I got home from the shop. Byron, from Injen actually suggested that this morning as well, but I had already done it. The parts feel really good together, it got a bit louder inside the car now as well. It pulls much better now, especially in the mid-range.

Originally Posted by bboysteele
No before and after dyno?
It's too freakin hot right now down here to do a dyno. The conditions just suck. They were dynoing Gamedog's production intakes and it was 114 in the dyno room.

I did forget to run a baseline though.

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 06-21-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: multiposting... keep thread shorter for people to read easier...
Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 PM
vinnys coupe

great setup, prob my future setup right there.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 PM
JDM

love the HID, does the color fo the bulbs stay that way the entire time??

I'm really feeling the purpleish look
Old 06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
J.Oh

looks good cant wait to order one... when im not broke lol
Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 PM
The1andOnly

Originally Posted by JDM
love the HID, does the color fo the bulbs stay that way the entire time??

I'm really feeling the purpleish look
Yup. The pics of the lights were taken before I pulled into my garage after driving back from the shop. If you want more of a purpleish look, get some 8000 bulbs.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:46 PM
ucla bruin

NIce pics yo.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 PM
The1andOnly

Thanks

That was funny this morning at C&C with all the people sticking their heads in mine, David's, and Alan's engine bay looking for turbo's. LOL.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:52 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

All that means is that its time for you to get an INTERFOOLER!!! hahaha
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM
G35Tuning

Amazed at how many people pass on a dyno run...I personally NEED TO KNOW the exact gains that the cash I just spent returned on investment....Saying it sounds great wouldn't be enough (for me)...But congrats anyways, best of luck...

Quick Reply: Injen Intakes Installed! + a few other things I never took pics of