Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Thunderhill Raceway (Willows, CA)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thunderhill Raceway (Willows, CA)

Anyone taken their ride out to Thunderhill for a high performance driving event? Thinking it would be fun to get a group from throughout NorCal to go out there for an HPDE sometime in Spring. Anyone interested? It's about $200 for the day that brings some professional instruction, instructor ride-along, and solo track time.....something like four 20 minute lapping sessions. If you're not familiar, Thunderhill is a legitimate racing facility. 3.0 mile road course with elevation changes, wide with minimal near-track barrier areas, and has a pretty fresh surface. I'm goin.....
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
MOB

sunny NorCal days are coming folks......anyone run their G at Thunderhill, or want to this Spring?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have a G anymore, but T-hill is on my list of tracks I'd like to visit this year.

Which organization are you planning on going with? NCRC?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've ran Thunderhill...VERY fun. They have a few setup options for tracks, I've ran two of them, and all are very fun. Not a lot of technical turns, so it is a great place to just go out and have fun. Not to mention, there is ALL KINDS of run off room, so if you get squirrely you aren't hitting a barrier.

This track overall does a pretty good job. I'm there a lot for SCCA and NASA races, and they have a pretty solid operation. Definitely more laid back than Sears, Laguna, etc, which can be good or bad depending on the event.

On your way back stop at Granzella's for an excellent sandwich...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by Mike
I don't have a G anymore, but T-hill is on my list of tracks I'd like to visit this year.

Which organization are you planning on going with? NCRC?
Not certain yet....probably NCRC or HOD. My friend ran a bunch of events with Trackmaster's last year in his M3 & had a blast. I think it was resurfaced back in 08 or 09 so it's smooth & legit. Nice facility & I can't wait to turn laps there. Not going out there to "beat" anything or anyone, just want to have a fun day of very spirited driving with no LE to worry about.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
......Not a lot of technical turns, so it is a great place to just go out and have fun. Not to mention, there is ALL KINDS of run off room, so if you get squirrely you aren't hitting a barrier.
-
-
-
......On your way back stop at Granzella's for an excellent sandwich...
exactly why it's such a great place to go get your kicks and drive home unscathed. Thought about Infineon and/or Laguna, but those are NOT forgiving if you find yourself needing some room & slamming into a barrier in my daily driver would forever suck. Granzella's is definitely great....Black Bear Diner is also a hidden gem out there in BFE.

surprised a thread like this doesn't get more chatter....doesn't anyone DRIVE their cars anymore? hahaha

Sacramento Raceway Park's dragstrip is back in season again on Wednesday nights too. $15 to run on the lights all night vs. all kinds of interesting equipment. Nobody from in here goes with their G on occassion...besides me?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:37 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MOB there are a bunch of guys on Driver that bring there g35's to Sac Raceway. The Sac crew of G35's is much more active than 37s I think.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Felix_the_Cat

when is this event? I might be interested. Dont really want to beat my car but maybe just push it more than i would on the street sounds like fun. My girlfriends dad tracks his z06 at infineon a lot ive rode with him a couple times and whoa what a blast but kinda scary with all the other cars out there at the same time. I saw a couple cars wrecked out there and a sti even flipped on its roof
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
MOB

there are a bunch of "HPDE" events at Thunderhill thoughout the season. Hit up their website to see everything that's going on. Not sure, but I might be signing up for the "Ferrari's & Friends" event in mid-April through "Hooked On Driving". Would be cool to be on track with some Italian tones......
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 PM
thegad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any solid plans yet? I was just thinking about checking out Infineon, but this sounds like it would be a better place to participate in my first track event.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
MOB

I haven't personally registered for any events out there this year yet but am definitely spying this Ferrari day as the one I'll most likely attend. Shoot, even if you didn't want to track that day....would be a nice chance to see some horses getting after it on track. There's always some interesting equipment showing up to these events that make it fun to just roam the paddock area too.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 AM
cCarlo

Limitless Motorsports holds some events (Grip-Drift-Skid) at THill from time to time. It would be cool to organize with them.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
MOB

update

Ok so, I am officially registered for the "Ferrari's & Friends" sports & exotics event through Hooked on Driving that is happening at Thunderhill on April 21. Couple of friends are also jumping on board, one with an M3 and a 355 spyder, and another with his limited edition 350Z. Can't friggin wait! The anticipation is that there will be upwards of 30+ Ferrari's in attendance with many models represented AND....the potential for an Enzo.

Anyone interested? here's the link.....scroll to the April 21 event.

High Performance Driving Events
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm going to their may 19th run at infineon
Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 PM
MOB

Just put on my sway bars today.....4 days & a wake-up till track time. Sweet.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Raceway (Willows, CA)