Aftermarket Exhaust Laws in MA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Aftermarket Exhaust Laws in MA?

Hello guys,

I'm about to install the Tanabe Medalion in my 07 g35x, but one thing is holding me back.

The exhaust laws in MA prevent me from installing and aftermarket exhaust and I can get ticketed for it with an insurance rate increase.

Here is the law:
No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.

Can someone with some experience comment on this? I've read online stories of people getting ticketed for this. If it ends up being a problem, I'm thinking of selling mine. I haven't opened the box yet.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 AM
sask83
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You should be ok, the Tanabe is only axle back and the db levels won't be near motor vehicle limit.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sask83
You should be ok, the Tanabe is only axle back and the db levels won't be near motor vehicle limit.
That's the issue. Cops can take a look at the Tanabe and see that the exhaust tips are bigger which is already grounds of being pulled over. There is no decibel limit in the state of MA. They just make sure it isn't louder than stock.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I had no idea about this law. I live in MA, I hear cars almost daily with loud exhausts, mustangs, 350 & 370Z, corvettes, Hondas, trucks...everything.

If that law was strictly enforced wouldn't it put Lou's Custom Exhaust out of business at the least?

I've had friends with exhausts and never heard of them getting pulled over. I would assume it would be up to the cops discretion...I'm not worrying about it, I'll be getting an aftermarket exhaust soon.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Vance67
I had no idea about this law. I live in MA, I hear cars almost daily with loud exhausts, mustangs, 350 & 370Z, corvettes, Hondas, trucks...everything.

If that law was strictly enforced wouldn't it put Lou's Custom Exhaust out of business at the least?

I've had friends with exhausts and never heard of them getting pulled over. I would assume it would be up to the cops discretion...I'm not worrying about it, I'll be getting an aftermarket exhaust soon.
I also read stories online where you can even fail inspection at inspection stations.

The exhaust can be replaced, but it cannot be louder than stock. Since most aftermarket exhausts are louder than stock, technically it is illegal. I think what bothers me most is the insurance rate increase once you get a ticket. I wouldn't mind paying $50 tickets every now and then.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I also read stories online where you can even fail inspection at inspection stations.

The exhaust can be replaced, but it cannot be louder than stock. Since most aftermarket exhausts are louder than stock, technically it is illegal. I think what bothers me most is the insurance rate increase once you get a ticket. I wouldn't mind paying $50 tickets every now and then.

I'm part of a car club in New England (Northeast VQ). Almost everyone has a modified VQ (350, 370, G35 & G37...just in case). Recently, one of our members posted that his vehicle with ART pipes and aftermarket exhaust passed inspection in MA. I also know of at least 15 others that have aftermarket exhausts and pass inspection in MA.

Again, I think it's up to the discretion of the shop doing the inspection. As long as it passes emissions, I think most will pass it.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:41 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Anyone actually got ticketed for aftermarket exhaust on here in MA?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:33 PM
sask83
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88

U have some stock V8s that are louder than the Tanabe exhaust, u should be ok.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Zack342
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i have a fast intentions cat back on my car.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:26 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Zack342
i have a fast intentions cat back on my car.
You've never had any problems with the cops?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Vance67

If you have facebook, go to the "Northeast VQ" page and ask them there if anyone has gotten a ticket for it. It's about 415 members (not all in MA, but the majority are), most of them have modded cars.

I've never heard of it, but I'm sure you get that **** head cop that day and someone will. I'm sure someone has gotten a ticket for it, but I would assume, 99% do not...just opinion from what I've seen, it's not based on any facts.

You could even try the "New England Tuners Society" on facebook too
Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Illinois has a similar law about keeping noise less than or equal to OEM. Drove with an aftermarket Invidia cutback on my previous car for about 3 years and was pulled over once for it. I was told it wasn't legal but only received a warning. It is going to vary greatly from cop to cop and it will be greatly at their discretion. If you drive late at night frequently or get caught utilizing your exhaust, your chances of getting pulled over and ticketed will increase exponentially. My biggest issue wasn't the fact that I may get a ticket, it was that they had a reason to pull me over whenever they felt like it; very similar to having illegal tints.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

The insurance surcharges for this type of modified exhaust ticket in MA lasts for quite a while (3-6 years.)
Old 06-07-2014, 05:11 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I've lived in Boston my whole life and have more than 10 cars with aftermarket exhuast , dropped etc and never had any issues . There is a DB level in ma never seen it but heard about it
Just put the mufflers on and you'll be fine . I've been running my exoticspeed now for 3 years and not one problem , I was even supercharged which and had HFCs which just made it louder , if you front drive like an azz they pretty much leave you alone .
Great point about Lous custom exhaust hell the shop name states what they do lol it the law was that they'd have to close down. It him that law is more towards emissions than noise . Cause if it was for noise then no one would ride a Harley or a sport bike .
BTW listen to some of the turbo diesel trucks those guy put 5 inch exhaust on them and sound like a jet airplane !
Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm another M******* here. I did get pulled over on 93S in Stoneham back in 2007 when I still had my modded 2G Eclipse (turbo). I had a GReddy exhaust on my car. The exhaust wasn't obnoxiously loud. If anything, the current exhaust setup on my car is probably even louder (resonator delete, Tanabe axle back) than the GReddy system I had. My Eclipse was tastefully done, too, not riced out or anything.

The Statie that pulled me over looked in his mid to late 20's. The guy asked me to step on the gas pedal. I lightly tapped it. He asked me to give it a little more gas. I did. He then asked me if I thought it was loud. Obviously, I said no...hahah...He then told me to go home and swap it out. I said no. I told him it was perfectly legal because it passed emission test every year. He then told me to wait in my car. He came back to his cruiser and came back with a $50 ticket. I didn't really know it was considered a moving violation at the time. I didn't have time to go to court for a $50 ticket. I just decided to pay the BS ticket and be done with it. Little did I know I got 2 points on my record and my insurance premium went up because of the surcharge later.

I see plenty of other cars with LOUD exhausts everywhere. I always back off the gas a little bit whenever I see a Statie nearby. If anyone of them want to go on a power trip, they can and will pull me over. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though.

By the way, I was driving normally (not speeding, gunning it or anything) when I got pulled over in my Eclipse for the supposedly loud exhaust. I wasn't attracting attention in any way.
The following users liked this post:
SlimTV (06-08-2014)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust Laws in MA?