NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Moving to NY or NJ...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
slickrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to NY or NJ...need advice

Hey all, I am likely moving to NY or NJ in the next few months to continue my career up there. I am coming from south florida. I will keep this on topic of cars:
-How strict are the police in stopping you for dark tint? Down here people have 15% all around without issues. I plan to get my G re-tinted because I have under 20% tint on my car now. I want to get a 70% or higher tint for the front windshield, and do either 40% all around for 50% all around. I considered keeping the back window tint on my car, and doing 50% on my front windows, but I never like the look of that. Also, will I fail inspections with "tint" on my car in NY or NJ? Also, anything I need to do to prep my car for the drive up besides expect many rock chips and put on some Conti DWS tires? Thanks all I hope to be up there soon and maybe make it to a meet or two.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tinted windshield will get you pulled EVERY time up here. 35-30% is about all I've gotten away with on the front two windows. They don't make a big deal about the back and rears.

You will fail inspections because they use a meter on the tint.Have to find a friendly shop. When you know what town you're going to be in, ask again and someone local can turn you on to the right place to go.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:19 AM
slickrick

Originally Posted by Tainui
Tinted windshield will get you pulled EVERY time up here. 35-30% is about all I've gotten away with on the front two windows. They don't make a big deal about the back and rears.

You will fail inspections because they use a meter on the tint.Have to find a friendly shop. When you know what town you're going to be in, ask again and someone local can turn you on to the right place to go.
So even a 70-80% front windshield will get you noticed? wow. And every year you must "pass" inspection by them checking your tint? I guess I'll plan on taking off my tint and putting 50% all around.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yea, dont tint your windshield or go below 20% in tint and you wont have any problems!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A tinted windsheild is a sure ticket. They HATE that.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
slickrick

Originally Posted by Tainui
A tinted windsheild is a sure ticket. They HATE that.

Glad I asked I was about to put a 70-80% clear tint on it to reduce heat. Going from 15% all around to 50% will be tough to deal with.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
NY and NJ has tons of different areas.... I never got bothered with my tints... 35% windshield, 20% side and rears
but then again, I know tons of law enforcement and don't drive like an idiot

Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
slickrick

Originally Posted by da mayor
NY and NJ has tons of different areas.... I never got bothered with my tints... 35% windshield, 20% side and rears
but then again, I know tons of law enforcement and don't drive like an idiot

I've seen your posts regarding your new M...beautiful car btw. I deal in a profession that fights tint tickets among other things, but I'd rather not be bothered by getting one
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
how is your search on looking for a home? you plan to rent or buy? I have a few connections if you need some help
Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM
slickrick

Originally Posted by da mayor
how is your search on looking for a home? you plan to rent or buy? I have a few connections if you need some help
I plan to rent either in Manhattan, Hoboken, or somewhere else just outside of the city, subject to change of course pending the job I get.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
expensive, expensive. the closer to the city you are, the more it will be. there is access to get into the city from the train or buses fyi. if you plan to keep your florida plates, dont worry about it because state the car is registered in takes precedent on the law.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
slickrick

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
expensive, expensive. the closer to the city you are, the more it will be. there is access to get into the city from the train or buses fyi. if you plan to keep your florida plates, dont worry about it because state the car is registered in takes precedent on the law.
I'm switching to a NY plate (currently looking at anything other than the ugly basic plate) when I get up there...you can still get a ticket for tint even if its a Fl plate. I've been reading up on the path trains from NJ into the city. I've been up to NY many times and people need to wash their cars!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NJ is more strict with tint than NY. I've lived in NY my entire life, but only 5 miles from the NJ border, so I spend plenty of time driving in both states.

Definitely do not tint the windshield...that's asking for trouble in either NY or NJ. I've put 20% on just about every car I've ever owned (all side windows and back window) and I've never had a problem. But 20% isn't really all that dark, so maybe I would have had problems if I had like 5%...

In NJ, you'll fail inspection if you have any tint at all on the front side windows. My buddy from NJ pulls his tint off and reapplies it every 2 years (which is the normal inspection interval in NJ). In NY, we have inspections every year, but you can't fail for tint at all, so it's not even a factor.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by slickrick
I'm switching to a NY plate (currently looking at anything other than the ugly basic plate) when I get up there...you can still get a ticket for tint even if its a Fl plate. I've been reading up on the path trains from NJ into the city. I've been up to NY many times and people need to wash their cars!
The way the law reads, if you have Florida plates (or any other state) and drive the car in the state of NY, you have to follow NY tint laws. However, there are plenty of Florida cars with dark tint in NY and the cops don't seem to bother with them, even if their tint is extremely dark.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 PM
MSCA
Banned

BTW, New York has a ton of white "picture" plates to choose from, so you don't have to get the ugly new yellow plates.

NYS DMV - Custom Plates and Personalized Plates

Quick Reply: Moving to NY or NJ...need advice