Moving to NY or NJ...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 PM
slickrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STOOF
yeah looking around the outskirts of WPB or FTLAUD

What are you a defense attorney?

Yep...I'd like to break into a different area of law up north, but I grew up in this type. Depending on your lifestyle, I'd look into Las olas area for a nice condo in FTL, or City walk in WPB. I like WPB area more, esp. since the courthouse has direct east ocean views.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive been looking around wellington/royal palm/loxahatchee area

Im looking for a 4/3/3 on at least .5 acre, but closer to an acre. NO HOA! lol
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 AM
slickrick

Originally Posted by STOOF
Ive been looking around wellington/royal palm/loxahatchee area

Im looking for a 4/3/3 on at least .5 acre, but closer to an acre. NO HOA! lol
You must be able to find CHEAP housing down here to buy. Skip the big land; mowing the lawn every week in the summer is a pain. I agree with the 3 car garage which can be found in newer developments (read: everywhere down here).
Old 07-29-2011, 01:48 PM
SpinG37X

Originally Posted by slickrick
Hey all, I am likely moving to NY or NJ in the next few months to continue my career up there. I am coming from south florida. I will keep this on topic of cars:
-How strict are the police in stopping you for dark tint? Down here people have 15% all around without issues. I plan to get my G re-tinted because I have under 20% tint on my car now. I want to get a 70% or higher tint for the front windshield, and do either 40% all around for 50% all around. I considered keeping the back window tint on my car, and doing 50% on my front windows, but I never like the look of that. Also, will I fail inspections with "tint" on my car in NY or NJ? Also, anything I need to do to prep my car for the drive up besides expect many rock chips and put on some Conti DWS tires? Thanks all I hope to be up there soon and maybe make it to a meet or two.
Police can be a pain around NY area, especially if you get caught driving fast, blowing red lights, no seatbelt. If they get you, they will most likely bust your chops for dark tints. I have 35% all around (no windshield) with stone interrior, passed by many cops didnt even care.

As far as inspection, I know people with super dark tints all around had no issues. An extra $20 goes a long way.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:22 PM
The Jewbag

Do you plan on re-registering your car? Because if I were you I'd keep my Florida regi and plates and they'll leave you alone
Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
bigfy39

I know that they changed the NJ Inspection process to cut costs. NJ only inspects your emissions now. If you have broken taillights, tint, etc. you will not fail. I had a friend that had tint on the front windows and just got his car inspected with no problems.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
The Jewbag

Originally Posted by bigfy39
I know that they changed the NJ Inspection process to cut costs. NJ only inspects your emissions now. If you have broken taillights, tint, etc. you will not fail. I had a friend that had tint on the front windows and just got his car inspected with no problems.

They'll pass you with front tints, just not with windshield tint.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfy39
Are you sure about that? I'm from NY, but my good friend lives in NJ and he just had to peel the tint off his front windows to pass inspection. This was just two or three months ago.

In NJ, new cars don't have to be inspected for the first 4 years, but after that they get inspected every 2 years. So he's forced to peel his tint and reapply it every other year...
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Jewbag
They'll pass you with front tints, just not with windshield tint.
In NY, yes...in NJ, no.

Tint on the front side windows will always cause a failure in NJ state inspections. Unless they just recently changed the way they do inspections.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM
stormgate

Originally Posted by MSCA
In NY, yes...in NJ, no.

Tint on the front side windows will always cause a failure in NJ state inspections. Unless they just recently changed the way they do inspections.
this was recently changed. you will pass inspection if you have tints on the front sides... not sure about the windshield.

i think they even made it that police cannot pull you over simply for tints... but can give you a ticket for them if they pull you over for say... a busted tail light or speeding.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

nj stopped inspecting cars for anything but emissions. so you only have to worry about tickets.
NJ will issue you tickets left & right for front tint.
windshields can also get you towed- but thats if your a complete jerk to the officer.