Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Best upgrades at the start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 10:08 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Transmission, the dealership will refuse to do. They call it lifetime fluid. Basically there are clutch packs inside this transmission that wear down and clutch material is suspended in trans fluid. Doing a flush beyond 70k gets rid of that clutch material – not recommended as the transmission may start slipping. You can do a drain and fill, but not a complete flush. If the car is above 100k, don't touch the fluid, leave it as is.
@hexotic Have you experienced this first hand? Dealers telling you no? I have brought this up to my local service writing group that I have used for years (3 different ones), and none of them advise against drain and fills. Only one advised against a "fluid exchange" (replaces around 10 quarts of fluid through a vacuum process). I just had the fluid drained and filled in my son's Ford Ranger at 200K miles (prior to that, at around 170K miles). No issues. I can't imagine JATCO transmissions behave a whole lot different as far as wear and clutch material selection than Ford. I had my transmission fluid exchanged at 43K and the improvement was noticeable. Had planned to do it again at 73K then again when I go over 100K if I still own the car.

​​​​​Maybe ​@BULL (or some of the others that are mechanics at Nissan/Infiniti) has some thoughts on this topic as his knowledge of the platform seems to go pretty deep.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:26 PM
lektrix
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brezzsent
I'd get the Sport rear sway bar really makes the handling on the awd more neutral as the awd tends to understeer a bit. The sway bar makes the car feel more planted with less body roll.
Had my 2012 G37X sedan for 5 years and wish I saw this thread earlier...... which rear sway bar do you guys recommend? product link please, anything from Amazon?
Old 11-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,712 Likes on 3,520 Posts
Any of the name brands...they're all good enough. Hotchkis, Eibach, Whiteline, Stillen, etc.

Black Friday is coming up.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:39 PM
absurd37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 g37

I did it on mine at 74k miles, runs perfect. It's hard to give a straight answer since it may differ a bit from car to car and how much it has been abused or not. If you're in the 70-90k mile range, it's a good time to do it because doing it beyond that could have negative effects. That's about all I can say and you have to make the decision based on your situation.

P.S. the AT in the G does not like hard launches from stand still. Roll pulls are fine, but from a dig, would not recommend doing it too often. I'm on my second transmission, just saying lol
I have a 2009 G37 93kmiles, it’s shifting a little slow or hard I would say, is a transmsission drain and fill the move right now? I’m also having terrible mpg, on odometer it says 11.4
Old 02-04-2024, 09:56 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by absurd37
I have a 2009 G37 93kmiles, it’s shifting a little slow or hard I would say, is a transmsission drain and fill the move right now? I’m also having terrible mpg, on odometer it says 11.4
That's probably pushing it and would be saver to keep it as is.

Although if you have the Q1 2009 car with the 5 speed instead of 7 speed, it may have a dipstick where you can check the state of your fluid. Or add a dipstick to the 7 AT, it has the provisions for it, they just put a plug in the hole where it attaches.

Often the issue is in the valve body and changing the fluid wont solve the issues.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:27 PM
absurd37
Registered Member

That's probably pushing it and would be saver to keep it as is.

Although if you have the Q1 2009 car with the 5 speed instead of 7 speed, it may have a dipstick where you can check the state of your fluid. Or add a dipstick to the 7 AT, it has the provisions for it, they just put a plug in the hole where it attaches.

Often the issue is in the valve body and changing the fluid wont solve the issues.
Thanks for replying bro, so you’re saying trans fluid drain and fill won’t be good for anything? I researched online, trans drain and fill helps benefits with shifting smoother and better mpg. Im about to do a MAF sensor and intake clean. What do you think?
Old 02-04-2024, 04:06 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by absurd37
Thanks for replying bro, so you’re saying trans fluid drain and fill won’t be good for anything? I researched online, trans drain and fill helps benefits with shifting smoother and better mpg. Im about to do a MAF sensor and intake clean. What do you think?
So the way my master tech friend described it is the transmission in our car uses little clutches and that material wears down over time and is deposited into the fluid. As long as this material is in the fluid, the transmission clutches don't really slip, but if you drain and fill at this high mileage, you may lose too much of these particles. This is generally why Nissan says its life time fluid. You are most likely going to be fine if you do it, but in rare cases it does more harm than good.
I'm not a professional by any means, so wouldn't hurt to run this by someone that works on these on a daily basis, but this it the answer I got when asking these questions.

As for the maf sensor and intake clean, totally cool to do, I do mine every year along with the throttle bodies. If messing with the throttle bodies, make sure to do the proper post cleaning procedures. Acceleration pedal release position relearn, Throttle valve closed position relearn, Idle air volume relearn. Look up Motorvate DIY on youtube, I think episode 27 is where he does a nice guide on how to do these.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:02 AM
camopaint0707
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Proper 200tw tires should be the first thing anyone does.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:44 AM
Jchag28
Registered Member

2012 g37x awd

I have a 2012 g37x awd sport ,
mods I have
-hfc fast intentions
-z1 motorsports cat back exhaust touring
- afe throttlebody spacers aluminum
- z1 motorsports ported intake plenum (upper & lower)
-z1 motorsports 2.5 inch long tube cold air intakes
-no tune yet
- stock suspension still
Hey everyone what should be my next mods ? Staying n/a for a while to save up but I still want to upgrade to get the most out of my engine, lmk what I should do next. probably keep going performance wise
Old 09-25-2024, 07:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,712 Likes on 3,520 Posts
Originally Posted by Jchag28
I have a 2012 g37x awd sport ,
mods I have
-hfc fast intentions
-z1 motorsports cat back exhaust touring
- afe throttlebody spacers aluminum
- z1 motorsports ported intake plenum (upper & lower)
-z1 motorsports 2.5 inch long tube cold air intakes
-no tune yet
- stock suspension still
Hey everyone what should be my next mods ? Staying n/a for a while to save up but I still want to upgrade to get the most out of my engine, lmk what I should do next. probably keep going performance wise
That mod list... time for a tune.