Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Soon to be part of the G37 family

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:00 PM
bgraham813
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Soon to be part of the G37 family

Hello all,

After many years of loving their sounds and (seemingly) endless aftermarket, when the time came up to replace a car in the family and after much research, I'll be the owner of a 2012 Black on Black G37XS Sedan Friday. I got it from Carvana ( I know, 3rd purchase with them everything has been fine the first two times) and wanted to know...

I've got 7 days to try it. I opted for an S model with 102k over a handful of 50-80k Journey and X models. In those 7 days, what should I look for? I'm handy with cars and do all of my own work, yet this is the first Japanese car I've owned. Previously I've had a Lincoln Mark VII, CTS Sport, and wanted a sedan based on a RWD platform with 300+ hp and kept landing on the G37.

I love the exhaust note, and have been reading about muffler deletes. Before I take the plunge, is it possible to disconnect the mufflers but leave them hanging just to see if I like it? I read a post somewhere but haven't been able to find it since. Aside from that, any notorious issues I should look for at the 100k mark?

Thanks! You have a very active forum and I'm hoping to be a part of it!
The following 2 users liked this post by bgraham813:
G37xs JM (03-18-2021), Kinggg (03-23-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:09 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Not sure what you mean about leaving mufflers hanging.

You should check oil pressure, I'd say... because your year is one of the potentially affected years with the galley gasket issue. If those go bad the engine explodes itself. It's the one weak spot I'd say of that engine. It wasn't fixed until I believe 2013. Anyways, if oil pressure is low this could be an indication that the galley gaskets are going bad.

Check the rear diff for leaks. It's common that the bushing fails. This can apparently be bandaged relatively cheap, though, by purchasing something like a Whiteline bushing for the diff. If you can mount a camera down there to point at the diff, and do hard acceleration you could see it flex a lot if the seal is bad.

Whenever you start the car and let it idle some to warm up, listen for a tapping/clicking/rattling sound coming from the passenger side. It won't happen EVERY start, necessarily. This is likely a damaged catalytic converter (passenger side).

Check under passenger mat and that whole area down there for sunroof leak damage/current leak. There's a little part that gets clogged or something and would need to be replaced if this happens.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:06 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to the group! Glad to have you here. This forum really is a ton of help. With a little bit of research you can find an answer to all your questions. Have fun surfing around!
Old 03-23-2021, 05:13 AM
Kinggg
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bgraham813
Hello all,

After many years of loving their sounds and (seemingly) endless aftermarket, when the time came up to replace a car in the family and after much research, I'll be the owner of a 2012 Black on Black G37XS Sedan Friday. I got it from Carvana ( I know, 3rd purchase with them everything has been fine the first two times) and wanted to know...

I've got 7 days to try it. I opted for an S model with 102k over a handful of 50-80k Journey and X models. In those 7 days, what should I look for? I'm handy with cars and do all of my own work, yet this is the first Japanese car I've owned. Previously I've had a Lincoln Mark VII, CTS Sport, and wanted a sedan based on a RWD platform with 300+ hp and kept landing on the G37.

I love the exhaust note, and have been reading about muffler deletes. Before I take the plunge, is it possible to disconnect the mufflers but leave them hanging just to see if I like it? I read a post somewhere but haven't been able to find it since. Aside from that, any notorious issues I should look for at the 100k mark?

Thanks! You have a very active forum and I'm hoping to be a part of it!
Happy for you! I’m looking for a G37S so I can also be part of the forum lol, no luck yet but hopefully soon I’ll also have one. The big thing I’ve heard is the galley gasket issue, if it hasn’t been done I would take it to a certified dealer with a good estimate and get it done as a preventative/ get a buyers inspection (only time I would ever take a car to a stealership). You could take it to a reputable shop but for a job like that they probably know more of what they’re doing at the dealer. Hope you enjoy the car!