Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Another new guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 05:41 PM
Blitz_37Xs
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another new guy

Hi all

Finally joined up after lurking for several months. I've got a 2012 G37Xs coupe that I purchased about a year ago with ~114k on the odometer. I ended up going out and looking for a fun car, after my '08 Acura TL type s was totaled out due to a tornado, here in Central MO.

Fortunately, the previous owner had already upgraded a few things, such as ISR front pipes and mid pipes, and the Tanabe Medallion axle back. I believe it was lowered a bit as well, but I'm not completely sure and it didn't have coil overs installed. I'm going to be looking at the possibility of putting some on in the future. It's currently riding on 20" Flow One Race Spec F2 gunmetal wheels and Yokohama Advan Sport 285/30zr20 tires.

About a month ago, I ran over something on the highway in the middle of the night, that made it under the bumper with just a few scratches, ripped the engine covers off, bent the welded cross bar under the radiator (didn't get into the radiator though), concaved my oil pan and transmission oil pan, separated the flex area of the front y-pipes, and seriously dented up my mid pipes. So I've got a little insurance money to play around with how I'm bringing it back up to snuff. I'm currently getting ready to replace the stock cats with HFCs (looking seriously at the FI resonated HFC, with the Kinetix as a second choice). Also going to be replacing the front y-pipe and mid pipe with Tanabe (because I'm a little OCD, lol) and I've got the Stillen Gen3 CAI on the way. After reading on here quite a bit, I think I may add some sway bars as well. I'm still debating on the gains vs cost of the Z1 or M370 plenum. After everything is in place, I believe I'm going with an ECUtek tune. Debating on whether to go with a Sebastian E-tune for around $1k or take it to Habibi Motorsports in St. Louis for around $1,300-1,400 (he's got an AWD dyno).

I'll try to get some new pics up once we're finished working on it. The following ones are pics taken at the dealership when I bought it, and before the new shoes.

Just wanted to say hi and thank you so much for all the good info that I've already gotten from this site. I hope to learn a lot more. Btw, this site may be as bad as ar15.com as far as getting me to spend money, lol.

Stay safe
Blitz

Old 06-16-2020, 11:41 AM
Blitz_37Xs
Registered Member

Well, my Tanabe mid pipes are now back ordered until at least 7/31

Trying to find a suitable option. I thought I could just put ISR mid pipes back on but I can't find them anywhere, only the front Y-pipe. I guess Megan Racing is an option. Still searching to see if there's anyone else's mid pipe that will fit between the Tanabe front Y and the Medallion axle back.

Also decided to leave the stock sway bars alone.

I did contact ConceptZ about the tune and I'm going that route with the remote tune. I just wish I could get some parts in to finish putting this thing back together. It's killing me, not being able to drive it.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:04 PM
myGforMe
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Those headlights do pretty well at night?
Old 06-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Blitz_37Xs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by myGforMe
Those headlights do pretty well at night?

They're not bad. I was assuming that they were the stock headlights for this model. Maybe I should check, lol.

I was going through the "Show off your Coupes" pic thread and was interested in taking a look at Oneighty orb lights.

I'll try to get a pic of them in the dark. My poor car is on the lift at our shop right now, waiting for parts to come in to put her back together.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:37 PM
myGforMe
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz_37Xs
They're not bad. I was assuming that they were the stock headlights for this model. Maybe I should check, lol.

I was going through the "Show off your Coupes" pic thread and was interested in taking a look at Oneighty orb lights.

I'll try to get a pic of them in the dark. My poor car is on the lift at our shop right now, waiting for parts to come in to put her back together.
They are definitely not the stock lights. They are GTR style headlights. I have seen different post about different manufactures making them and one set being better than the other. But I haven't seen too many statements on how well they perform at night. Was just curious on another opinion of what someone thought about them. Maybe someone will chime in and educate me, lol. I know how you feel waiting, it SUCKS! Even more so now a days when shipping takes way longer.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:29 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
You've got a nice coupe. I had one too and also got totaled, but it was hit in the parking lot at our old apartment. I now have a sedan. Really like the subtle mods you've got on the car: Wheels, headlights and duck-bill spoiler. These VQ's can sound as quiet or as agressive as you want. I'm guessing your current exhaust setup sounds good without being too terribly loud. Made a good choice for a fun car. oh and the blacked out grill is a nice touch too. My coupe was white and I painted my grill and trunk chrome lip dark charcoal metallic and it looked really sharp.By the way, from the shape of your grill, if you didn't buy it from a dealer, you might want to check if your car is actually a 2012. To my knowledge, only the 08 and 09 had that grill. The years after that all had the updated grill design with extruded points on each corner of the grill. Even my 2010 coupe had that updated grill. Check out some pictures and you'll see what I'm talking about.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...7404956941.jpg

Last edited by Rochester; 08-11-2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: this is not your intro thread - pic as a link