Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Thinking about getting a G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 12:49 AM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about getting a G37 Sedan

Hi. So I’m a currently a senior in high school, and I daily drive an 07 Prius. Love the car, but the only thing is that I share it with two other people. I want to save up and buy an V36 (2007-2013) Infiniti G sedan. So far, I’m really into the car, but there are a few unanswered questions that I have.
First off, I need an automatic. As much as I want a manual, there are people who need to be able to drive my car. Not a big deal though.
The biggest red flag to me is the head gasket issue on the pre-2012 models. Mainly, I don’t know if or how bad should that scare me. Is it a super common issue? Are the 35HR cars the same way? Otherwise I’d rather get the 37 since it has a 7AT which would definitely be better with gas, and the extra power is a bonus. If the 35s are more reliable than the 37s, then I’ll change my mind.
Also, I don’t really want AWD. I don’t think I need it, it just extra weight and lowers fuel economy. The thing is, almost every G35/37 I see for sale is an AWD model. But I’ve heard that the AWDs ruin the driving experience due to softer suspension and a reduced rear sway bar. Can someone please confirm this?
Is the Sport model worth it? Does it ride too harsh?
And finally, should I get a G? Would you say it’sa worthy purchase all things considered? I would really like to get a luxury sports sedan that’s reliable, yet fun. So far, no other option seems as good as the G35/37 with those factors considered. With that said, should I work towards getting a G? Thanks for reading this far and possibly responding.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:57 AM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...y-awd-6mt.html

This will answer some of your questions. As for the others, I didn't want to take the chance on prior 2012 issue so I got a 2013 myself. Next thing you want to figure out is your price range, how many doors you want, and if a sport model is worth it for the extras added. Read around here a little bit and you should find everything you need.
The following users liked this post:
TheRealM67v (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 01:05 AM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...y-awd-6mt.html

This will answer some of your questions. As for the others, I didn't want to take the chance on prior 2012 issue so I got a 2013 myself. Next thing you want to figure out is your price range, how many doors you want, and if a sport model is worth it for the extras added. Read around here a little bit and you should find everything you need.
Thank you. I need a sedan, and to be honest, I’m looking for the lowest price possible. I’m talking like, sub-$5k, sub-$4k
Old 12-28-2019, 01:15 AM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Good luck with your search. Keep your eyes open and something may just pop up within your specs.
TheRealM67v (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:54 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealM67v
Thank you. I need a sedan, and to be honest, I’m looking for the lowest price possible. I’m talking like, sub-$5k, sub-$4k
Sounds like you want a high mileage journey (X or not, you've got little wiggle room). Budget in an extra $500 (DIY, or $750 if you can find a dealer willing to 3x drain and fill) to change the transmission fluid. The "lifetime" fluid is 100k miles. If not changed early, some say it's a dice roll.
If you're worried about the rear handling in the X, you can swap an S model sway bar for about $50 and some elbow grease. Tightened mine right up.

Last edited by BeeW; 12-28-2019 at 11:01 AM.
TheRealM67v (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 01:00 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BeeW
Sounds like you want a high mileage journey (X or not, you've got little wiggle room). Budget in an extra $500 (DIY, or $750 if you can find a dealer willing to 3x drain and fill) to change the transmission fluid. The "lifetime" fluid is 100k miles. If not changed early, some say it's a dice roll.
If you're worried about the rear handling in the X, you can swap an S model sway bar for about $50 and some elbow grease. Tightened mine right up.
Yes! A Journey with Nav, Premium pack, and wood interior would be absolutely ideal for me, though I’m willing to sacrifice in some respects.
I might just get the AWD just because I live in Reading PA, and almost every G within 150 miles is an x. I did watch a video (WannabeSS’ video) on a G37xS and how he was straight up ranting about how much the handling sucks compared to the RWD. I don’t know if he was exaggerating or if it’s actually true. May someone please shed light on this?
And as far as the interior squeaks and rattles bit in the video, I honestly don’t care about that. I don’t really care much about fit and finish either.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:26 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealM67v
Yes! A Journey with Nav, Premium pack, and wood interior would be absolutely ideal for me, though I’m willing to sacrifice in some respects.
I might just get the AWD just because I live in Reading PA, and almost every G within 150 miles is an x. I did watch a video (WannabeSS’ video) on a G37xS and how he was straight up ranting about how much the handling sucks compared to the RWD. I don’t know if he was exaggerating or if it’s actually true. May someone please shed light on this?
And as far as the interior squeaks and rattles bit in the video, I honestly don’t care about that. I don’t really care much about fit and finish either.
I mean the Journey, its a solid entry level luxury vehicle built to compete with BMW 3 series. I track my xS sedan... But Ill need a ton more events before I can drive anywhere close to the limit. Doubt the difference between the two would matter to me beyond a mental tickle that I've got the S-package. And I know I couldn't hit the limit on public roads without a very expensive bill and some hospital time.

You're a senior in HS? Driving just a couple years? Done extensive track or HPDEs before ? If the answers are Y, Y, N. It shouldn't matter. As well, the stiffer suspension on PA roads would just suck. (the xS in Boston isn't very fun either).

The hater in me doubts you'd find a non-salvage Post-2011 RWD S with premium, nav and wood for under 5k. But don't let me discourage you!

Do you work on your own cars? If so, it would be more amendable to your budget. These cars are on the cheaper end of luxury repairs but still cost luxury $$.

I love driving. Grew up with a 10yo BMW e46 manual that taught me tons about car control (and code browns). When I finally had enough $$ of my own I wanted to drop it on the newest fastest thing I could get. Then, a wise man told me (paraphrased); "Skip the fancy Bimmer, Benz or Bentley. If you truly love driving fast, get something cheap sensible and slow. Save your money (and make lots more) so you can get as much track time as possible, and level up your ride when you have the skill."

But I'm a rando on the interwebs. Its your money, ball if you wanna.

Last edited by BeeW; 12-28-2019 at 03:37 PM.
TheRealM67v (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 03:57 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BeeW
I mean the Journey, its a solid entry level luxury vehicle built to compete with BMW 3 series. I track my xS sedan... But Ill need a ton more events before I can drive anywhere close to the limit. Doubt the difference between the two would matter to me beyond a mental tickle that I've got the S-package. And I know I couldn't hit the limit on public roads without a very expensive bill and some hospital time.

You're a senior in HS? Driving just a couple years? Done extensive track or HPDEs before ? If the answers are Y, Y, N. It shouldn't matter. As well, the stiffer suspension on PA roads would just suck. (the xS in Boston isn't very fun either).

The hater in me doubts you'd find a non-salvage Post-2011 RWD S with premium, nav and wood for under 5k. But don't let me discourage you!

Do you work on your own cars? If so, it would be more amendable to your budget. These cars are on the cheaper end of luxury repairs but still cost luxury $$.

I love driving. Grew up with a 10yo BMW e46 manual that taught me tons about car control (and code browns). When I finally had enough $$ of my own I wanted to drop it on the newest fastest thing I could get. Then, a wise man told me (paraphrased); "Skip the fancy Bimmer, Benz or Bentley. If you truly love driving fast, get something cheap sensible and slow. Save your money (and make lots more) so you can get as much track time as possible, and level up your ride when you have the skill."

But I'm a rando on the interwebs. Its your money, ball if you wanna.
Thanks and I’m not holding my breath on finding a 2011+ for under $5k either.
In your case, I think I’ll skip the S due to stiff suspension and maybe just retrofit paddles instead.
Yes I’ve been driving for a few years and no I haven’t taken a driving school. I might do so if I get the Infiniti.
I would like to get into working on cars myself, to an extent of course. I think the G would be a good starting point.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
The only thing stiff about the RWD Sport Package suspension is the OEM Tokico shocks. I wouldn't get too hung up on that.
TheRealM67v (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 03:11 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
As mentioned above swapped in the Sport Rear Sway Bar ($60) into the X and it tightened up the handling noticeably.
TheRealM67v (12-29-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:57 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
+1 on the 'skip luxury brand' for learning how to drive hard. Best things to drive hard are older RWD small sedans/coupes/hatches - think miata, RWD corolla, that sort of thing. Early 90s hondas are good too as their suspension setup is far advanced of what an economy car should have had. Ask any car guy if an Integtra Type R is a real sports car or no - FWD aside. I'd also add the BMW Minis as being good handling, but the maintenance costs are almost that of a BMW.

If you've got $5k to spend, spend $3k and have 2k for mods/maintenance. If you spend all that 5k you're still going to need maintenance and you won't have the $$ for it.

TL;DR: fastest cars on the track are the ones with experienced drivers. Driving experience costs money and time, how much do you have?
TheRealM67v (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:26 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Maintenance costs will be more since this is a "luxury car." I like the above answer, can't go wrong with a Honda hatch, or other such cars. Also realize the G isn't very fuel efficient and requires premium fuel compared to a Honda Civic. The G is a gas murderer lol.

Here's food for thought as well: are you going to be going to college? I've also seen people lose their side mirrors, scrape other cars, back their own cars into walls. If you want the G, I say go for it. If you only have a general lot or god forbid a frat house lot to park in then I would suggest getting a beater, colleges eat cars alive. Drunk college kids driving and parking everywhere? That's what my 1986 Chevy Nova was for. Your classmates will dent, back up into, and scratch your car, and feel justified all because they are late for class...

TheRealM67v (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:29 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

And in my experience the local drug addicts will troll the freshman lots for cars to break in to, even to just steal the stock radios.

First time at college nigh-on 30 years ago had my Z28 broken into 4x in one semester, even after I decided to not replace the head unit.
TheRealM67v (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:30 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

You want something that handles very well. That's about it. Having a small motor teaches you to conserve momentum. Or if you need more size, consider a used police car - mostly Challengers (or chargers, can't keep them straight) with improved suspension for about $3000. Ain't pretty, but they're tough and they ride and handle pretty well.
TheRealM67v (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:55 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
+1 on the 'skip luxury brand' for learning how to drive hard. Best things to drive hard are older RWD small sedans/coupes/hatches - think miata, RWD corolla, that sort of thing. Early 90s hondas are good too as their suspension setup is far advanced of what an economy car should have had. Ask any car guy if an Integtra Type R is a real sports car or no - FWD aside. I'd also add the BMW Minis as being good handling, but the maintenance costs are almost that of a BMW.

If you've got $5k to spend, spend $3k and have 2k for mods/maintenance. If you spend all that 5k you're still going to need maintenance and you won't have the $$ for it.

TL;DR: fastest cars on the track are the ones with experienced drivers. Driving experience costs money and time, how much do you have?
I see what you mean, by my current car has navigation, Bluetooth, smart key with push button start, leather seats, and more. I’ve grown accustomed to features like that, and I don’t want to, in a sense, down grade to a car with less equipment, and also not as safe in crashes. I really like the G, but not necessarily because it’s a luxury brand car. It has pretty much everything I want, and it’s fun to drive, at least from what I hear.
Also, track driving is something that I would maybe want to do in the future, but it’s not a big priority to me. I mostly just like occasional spirited driving.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a G37 Sedan