Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Thinking about getting a G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 03:35 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KImChee
Maintenance costs will be more since this is a "luxury car." I like the above answer, can't go wrong with a Honda hatch, or other such cars. Also realize the G isn't very fuel efficient and requires premium fuel compared to a Honda Civic. The G is a gas murderer lol.

Here's food for thought as well: are you going to be going to college? I've also seen people lose their side mirrors, scrape other cars, back their own cars into walls. If you want the G, I say go for it. If you only have a general lot or god forbid a frat house lot to park in then I would suggest getting a beater, colleges eat cars alive. Drunk college kids driving and parking everywhere? That's what my 1986 Chevy Nova was for. Your classmates will dent, back up into, and scratch your car, and feel justified all because they are late for class...
Good points, but there’s a good chance that I won’t live on college campus, and I’m not worried about those things anyway. Plus, getting a beater car is more like a temporary thing and selling it to upgrade to a better car would be very difficult.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:37 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KImChee
The G is a gas murderer
The fuel economy part is gonna suck tho. Although I used to have a 2003 Altima 2.5S that got 17 mpg (AND A 4-CYLINDER ONE TOO WTH) so Ill get used to it

Last edited by TheRealM67v; 12-30-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:41 AM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
My third car is a Prius, so filling up the tank a few times on the G was a bit shocking lol.

Originally Posted by TheRealM67v
The fuel economy part is gonna suck tho. Although I used to have a 2003 Altima 2.5S that got 17 mpg (AND A 4-CYLINDER ONE TOO WTH) so Ill get used to it
The following users liked this post:
TheRealM67v (01-20-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

So I test drove my friends (modified) 2011 Infiniti G37xS Coupe, and it was AMAZING! I’m hooked!
A few things I took away. We drove the car regular, and with the AWD fuse pulled out (RWD mode), and I sort of change my mind about the G37x. The AWD gives you so much more confidence. It just puts down power so much better, but not in a boring way. It feels like a RWD car that’s just magically really well hooked up. It’s not until you drive the car with just RWD when you realize just how good the AWD system is.
Granted, the car I was driving was on coil overs, but the handling on this “x” is more than good enough for me. In my opinion, don’t bother spending more for the RWD car, unless you want to drift very very often. The AWD car is more than good enough in terms of handling.
So now if I get the “x”, I’m not going to feel any type of way.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Here’s the video of me driving it. I forgot to link it earlier.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
You seem pretty content. Congrats, and good for you, OP. That's a lot of car for a teenager. Be safe.

Hi. So I’m a currently a senior in high school
I'm going to give you what sounds like old-man advice. You really, really shouldn't be driving a car with your hoodie up. That's just dangerous, limiting your peripheral vision. Please don't drive like that.
TheRealM67v (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:55 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You seem pretty content. Congrats, and good for you, OP. That's a lot of car for a teenager. Be safe.
Thanks but that was my friend’s car. I still don’t have one.

I'm going to give you what sounds like old-man advice. You really, really shouldn't be driving a car with your hoodie up. That's just dangerous, limiting your peripheral vision. Please don't drive like that.
Yeah you’re right honestly.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Thanks but that was my friend’s car. I still don’t have one.
Doh! I read right past that and assumed this was the car you found.

Yeah you’re right honestly.
Cool. Good luck in your efforts. FWIW, I started looking at the G37 in 2009 and didn't get one for almost 3 years. That's kind of extreme, LOL. The point is, patience makes for good decisions, and the G is a great car.
TheRealM67v (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:13 PM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Doh! I read right past that and assumed this was the car you found.

Cool. Good luck in your efforts. FWIW, I started looking at the G37 in 2009 and didn't get one for almost 3 years. That's kind of extreme, LOL. The point is, patience makes for good decisions, and the G is a great car.
Thank you so much. Words of wisdom, my guy
Old 04-07-2020, 02:27 AM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
You mentioned you can see very well.. You're going to have some trouble making left turns at intersections because the driver side A-pillar will get in the way every single time lol. I also think the driver side bolsters are a bit intrusive.... Other than that, yeah, the sedan is great. I have a 2012 G37s sedan. I didn't want to compromise on space since I had intentions on adding air suspension, amp and subs. The coupe trunk is smaller and you of course lose the real back seats so loading up the trunk would basically mean no space at all. The coupes look better, though.. can't deny that.
TheRealM67v (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:51 AM
TheRealM67v
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AnotherVQ
You mentioned you can see very well.. You're going to have some trouble making left turns at intersections because the driver side A-pillar will get in the way every single time lol. I also think the driver side bolsters are a bit intrusive.... Other than that, yeah, the sedan is great. I have a 2012 G37s sedan. I didn't want to compromise on space since I had intentions on adding air suspension, amp and subs. The coupe trunk is smaller and you of course lose the real back seats so loading up the trunk would basically mean no space at all. The coupes look better, though.. can't deny that.
I have to admit that the coupe G37s are much sexier than the sedans, but I personally can’t do coupes because they sacrifice so much practicality, and yet they’re no faster/better performing. And they’re more expensive to buy/insure on top that
Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

I have to admit that the coupe G37s are much sexier than the sedans, but I personally can’t do coupes because they sacrifice so much practicality, and yet they’re no faster/better performing. And they’re more expensive to buy/insure on top that
Yeah the coupes win in looks, hands down. I bought the sedan because it was hard to find good condition/mileage coupes in my area and I wanted a sedan anyways after I thought of it for a while.. so I can put airbags and sub(s) while retaining some trunk space and have back seat space as well. USAA says they don't distinguish rates based on coupe or sedan.
TheRealM67v (05-14-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 01:01 AM
Broken_2008_G37
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi. So I’m a currently a senior in high school, and I daily drive an 07 Prius. Love the car, but the only thing is that I share it with two other people. I want to save up and buy an V36 (2007-2013) Infiniti G sedan. So far, I’m really into the car, but there are a few unanswered questions that I have.
First off, I need an automatic. As much as I want a manual, there are people who need to be able to drive my car. Not a big deal though.
The biggest red flag to me is the head gasket issue on the pre-2012 models. Mainly, I don’t know if or how bad should that scare me. Is it a super common issue? Are the 35HR cars the same way? Otherwise I’d rather get the 37 since it has a 7AT which would definitely be better with gas, and the extra power is a bonus. If the 35s are more reliable than the 37s, then I’ll change my mind.
Also, I don’t really want AWD. I don’t think I need it, it just extra weight and lowers fuel economy. The thing is, almost every G35/37 I see for sale is an AWD model. But I’ve heard that the AWDs ruin the driving experience due to softer suspension and a reduced rear sway bar. Can someone please confirm this?
Is the Sport model worth it? Does it ride too harsh?
And finally, should I get a G? Would you say it’sa worthy purchase all things considered? I would really like to get a luxury sports sedan that’s reliable, yet fun. So far, no other option seems as good as the G35/37 with those factors considered. With that said, should I work towards getting a G? Thanks for reading this far and possibly responding.
What exactly are you looking for? Speed? Luxury? 2 door or 4 door? Reliability? price range? gas mileage? what is important to you?
Old 05-15-2020, 01:03 AM
Broken_2008_G37
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
biggest question would be price range
Old 05-15-2020, 01:09 AM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Also, I have a sport model on bc racing coil overs lowered with low profile tires with the coilovers set to I think 5 or 6 away from stiffest setting and I don't think it rides too rough.

Last edited by AnotherVQ; 05-15-2020 at 01:24 AM.
TheRealM67v (05-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a G37 Sedan