Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Looking to buy a g37x. Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Curtis Roberts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking to buy a g37x. Need help please!

Let’s see here. Background. I live in a snowy climate and have the chance to purchase a 2012 Infiniti g37x. 75k miles. It will be 14k which is a bit high but it has a full two year/125k mile powertrain warranty. The dealership already did their check on it and replaced air conditioner and brakes all the way around it. I’m still a tad leery since I have never went and bought a car from a dealership. I’m going to have my mechanic also do a once over on the car for me. He has worked on G37s but I guess my main question is what do I really need to have him check for me that could potentially be bad or going bad? I test drove it and I hear nothing. I crawled underneath and took a look nothing is leaking. To me it looks like a very clean car. I do know that looks can be deceiving though and just want to be careful before I drop 14k cash on something! Sorry this is so long but thank you in advance!

One more thing. How will I know my Awd is performing up to par? I don’t have snow to test it on and from a dead stop the tires don’t break any traction. Again. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Cross country X (05-29-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:50 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Chase a moose through the forest, then you'll know.

You don't have the oil gallery gasket issue to worry about, so check for leaking sun roof drains, all the auto-up window switches work, have your mech check the xfer case fluid and examine the front CV joint. That's all that comes to mind at the moment. There are threads that discuss the known issues but you'll have to search for them.
The following users liked this post:
Cross country X (05-29-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Cross country X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Words of warning and wisdom from a reformed? Car Salesmen

Good luck shopping and they are great cars, you'll love it. Now with that said, trust your gut, some dealers are far from honest. If the AC compressor died, likely the system leaked or the drive belt was never changed and snapped.... The condition on these is everything if you plan to own it past 120k miles, so drive a few so you know how a proper g drives and talk to more then one dealer. It's your money, use it well. To begin with, look for a responsibly owned car that was not revved the heck out of for Y#$%^& videos, or that has evidence of extensive mod removal. Make sure there are No VVEL noise, no knocks or ticks or bearing noise ect. Ideally look for a car that has had some of the major services done, Trans, diffs, transfer case, brakes, coolant, accessory belt, psf. Those are all due or overdue, if a lot of work like that was done it usually means the owner took care of the car and meant to keep it outside warranty for a while. If none of those were done, it was owned by someone who drives their cars to 100 It is worth hiring a mechanic with a Consult 3 or at least tech II scantool to hook it up to that car and check its ABS, AWD and transmission and look under the car for hidden damage and with those they can tell you if the computer has recently been reset. Also you cannot pull any codes for the first two system with a consumer OBDII reader and as they cost $$$$ it's worth the $100-200 for the mechanic. I love my g37x sedan I bought it with 33k miles 3 years ago to escape the car payment game and my budget was 20k max. It's been the best car I've ever owned but I took blue not black, didn't get a sport, and did a few tasteful mods down the road, because it was the best running g37 (old lady owned) one I could afford to buy. Sorry for the longwhinded write-up, and good luck!