Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Save the Manuals and buying cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Litebody

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save the Manuals and buying cars

I saw a post in the What other Cars have you owned that referenced "Save the Manuals" that reminded me of a conversation with some guys in my sports car group. Somebody saw my blip**** pedals over paddles t-shirt and we started talking about trend away from manual transmissions.

I usually defer on the topic because I have only once bought a brand new car. Everything else had been previously titled. I figure it's the demand of guys buying new that will make the manufacturers produce straight up 3-padal manuals, not the cries of guys in the used market.

So I piped up and asked how many of these guys in my group bought new, and it was one guy out of the group of 14 cars. There are Miatas, BMWs, Corvettes, Nissans, Vipers and assorted vintage 2-seaters in the group. The one new buyer was a 911 guy.

So we all realized that as used car buyers, we're part of the problem in the demise of the manual transmission, as much as I wish I had the money to buy new.

What do you guys think of that?

Not starting nothing. Just asking.

lb
Old 01-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Interesting perspective.

I think a lot of prospective buyers might want manual, but when it actually comes time to buy the car, end up switching for a variety of reasons: spousal considerations, availability, color, the fact that autos and dual clutch transmissions no longer a performance penalty, etc.

Look at BMW and the M5/6. When past generations came out they were initially dual clutch only, but the US market demanded MT, so BMW delivered a MT. Then people didn't actually step up and BUY the MT, so now we're back to the dual clutch only.

It's sad, manuals are dying. Making sure I have a MT to move onto from my G is the biggest deterrent to keeping my car at this point, because in another couple years, the market for MT, 4 door, RWD or AWD cars is going to be even smaller.

The new Audi S4 ditched the manual option. How long until BWM decides it's not worth the cost to certify a MT for the 3 series? Inifiniti and MB already made that decision. At that point, the market essentially shrinks to hot hatches, muscle cars, and a few niche sports cars like Porsche. Even Porsche is moving away from MT.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts
This thread is depressing!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:14 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
In chicago you're probably less likely to get car jacked if driving a manual
Old 01-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Put these stickers on the side windows....

https://www.redbubble.com/....

The following 2 users liked this post by Entcee:
Gio37 (01-19-2018), slartibartfast (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo

But they might still shoot you and leave you for dead anyway when they cant drive off with your car
Old 01-19-2018, 11:30 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^Valid point. Maybe they'll choose an easier target if they see those stickers on either side.
The following users liked this post:
Entcee (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Litebody

I like the anti-theft sticker. I may have to get one.

Re Legos reply, I have to admit I don't know a lot about the Germans, and Europeans in general. Mostly because I'm too low rent to get one new and won't buy a used one (to use as a daily driver - not a weekend summer sports car), cuz I'm scared i wouldn't be able to afford to keep it running and looking good. That said, I learned to drive on my dad's 71 Super Beetle when my older sister was learning to drive. He insisted she (we) learn to drive manual so we'd never be stuck for not being able to drive one. And it came true for her in college on 80s. That logic doesn't make sense any more, and my wife and two daughters won't learn on mine "cuz they're [my]baby".

Then my pops automatic was a 2 or 3 speed, maybe 4 as well, so he would advocate manuals for gas mileage sake.

I'd love to have had the 6sp version of the old Legend I had, but those were rare of course in sedans, but coupes as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Litebody
I like the anti-theft sticker. I may have to get one.
If you do, get this one... It matches our shift pattern. http://www.redbubble.com/people/apex...hoCCyIQAvD_BwE
Old 01-19-2018, 07:22 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
the euros arent outraged at the thought of no manuals? that enough should be a reason to keep manuals. car manufactures should leave it up to the consumers rather than force people who want manuals to drive autos
Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
car manufactures should leave it up to the consumers rather than force people who want manuals to drive autos
They have left it up to consumers. And they didn't want manuals.

It's not worth the R&D and regulations and emissions certification and blah blah blah for a few hundred units a year.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
i find it hard to believe all the euros werent mostly buying manuals. idk where i would find the stats
Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Litebody

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
They have left it up to consumers. And they didn't want manuals.

It's not worth the R&D and regulations and emissions certification and blah blah blah for a few hundred units a year.
^ that's the point exactly. The manufacturers are responding to the demand for NEW cars, and at least for the point of my original post, all the guys complaining are guys who only buy used cars. So as automatics become so sophisticated and reliable, and add-in the F1 *** PlayStation paddle shifter for all y'all young growed-up-on-iPads-and-XBox mfrs (read: I'm not used to not doing it without a 3rd pedal, even with the fake manual in my 7sp auto)!

I dont know. I'm just kidding with the hyperbole, but it's an interesting thing to ponder.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Manual transmissions are going away sooner rather than later. It's a function of very weak consumer demand and higher production costs. Manuals are less expensive to build, but the production process of building 2 transmission configurations is more costly than doing all units with one drivetrain.

The used car consumer thing is a good point. Manufacturers and distributors only care about the wishes of the original purchaser, subsequent owners don't factor in. It's evident that you'll buy whatever is available so they don't need to be conscious of what the second or third owner might want. Even race cars are going away from manuals. It makes perfect sense. It's something that manual transmission lovers will have to accept and make peace with quickly. Or limit themselves only to older cars.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:04 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Was just looking at the camaro ss 1le package. No automatic option, manual only. If only that car had 2 more doors and a more practical trunk!@#

Quick Reply: Save the Manuals and buying cars