Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Hi All! New G37S owner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016 | 08:57 AM
Jedz123

Hi All! New G37S owner...

Howdy folks!
I just got into a 2013 G37 after a very long and very dull ownership of a 2008 Toyota Yaris 2Dr HB. Here's some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

I did my research and decided to go the G37S Coupe over the Q60 for it had a long line of dependability and reliability. I'm the first official owner for its a lease left over, still on warranty for another 42k milks . Has 18K now. Great shape... Like new. I wanted a black coupe, low mile... I had to travel 9 hours round to seal the deal... Researched hard. It was the best deal I could fine with what I wanted. I ended up buying it for just under $24K.

I'm not to new to the car scene just been in hibernation. I'm a huge motorcycle enthusiast, I have 3 bikes and ride them primarily. The Yaris was a result of a need to have a cage that was cheap and good on gas... Since I bought that car my salary has more then tripled and I thought it was time to treat myself on my next cage. I looked at Inifiniti, Acura and Lexus and pulled the trigger in the Infiniti for it offered the best performance and best platform if I ever did walk down the tuning route(which is more like a definite possibility).

So I've been browsing, great info on this site! I pick the car up next weekend. Since it was an out of state purchase I didn't have the time to get the Vermont registration setup(love living in a small slow sate) so next Saturday I pick up and go.

Any tips or tricks are appreciated but I'm looking at getting into a stone reliable fast and gorgeous car.

Thanks!

Best
-Jedz
Old 04-19-2016 | 09:20 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new cage! For the first order of business, I think you should install tints on the ride to make it look stealthy and to decrease chances of UV damage to the interior. Feel free to post pictures of your bikes too, stories are always appreciated around here
Old 04-19-2016 | 09:34 AM
kennyz424

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the new G! It's gorgeous and the mileage and price you payed is spot on! Pictures of the bikes would be really cool as well since some here are also into bikes!

As for future mods everybody will have a different opinion on what route to go so expect many different scenarios lol. I say start with the basics... tints, drop, exhaust and intake are perfect starter mods that get the car looking and sounding great!
Old 04-19-2016 | 09:53 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

nice car, looks close to mine.

Originally Posted by Jedz123
... the Infiniti for it offered the best performance and best platform if I ever did walk down the tuning route(which is more like a definite possibility).
oh ... not the best for tuning. our 3.7L is kinda maxed out from the factory. unlike a turbo car, you'll spend $thousands to get a few extra horsepower.
now this won't be a popular opinion, but i wouldn't go throwing money at performance mods, and here is my reasoning:

AIR INTAKES:
expensive noise makers on this car, potential PITA for filter cleaning.
the stock air box is a cold air intake, drawing air from the high pressure area in front of the radiator. i suspect they will flow more than the engine can handle. the factory filters are so easy to remove its ridiculous. i replaced mine with R2C black hex panel filters so i can just clean and replace. CAI's are a PITA to access the filter, may need cutting up the car to install and are expensive. short rams will probably suck in hot engine bay air and lose you some hp. if you like the noise and want to pay for it, go ahead, but not worth it to me ..

EXHAUST:
again ... big money, small gains. IMHO, as a luxury sport coupe, the G37 shouldn't sound like a raspy grunting Chewbacca. i did get an axleback (Beluga, $260) that makes a nice, deeper, somewhat exotic sound. that was worth it to me, and also saved a bit of weight over the factory muffler (its HEAVY!). not worth it to me for a full exhaust as far as money vs. gain.

Any tips or tricks are appreciated but I'm looking at getting into a stone reliable fast and gorgeous car.
get a midnight black grille (or Plastidip yours), and the factory spoiler. nice appearance upgrade, IMHO.

good luck with your G!
Old 04-19-2016 | 10:15 AM
Jedz123

Pics of the bike? Sure twist my arm ... There my true passion since I ride 20K or so miles a year...

The Jedz line up:
Primary rider-
2008 Kawasaki Concours14 ZG1400:

It's a sport touring bike... But it's a true sleeper at it's heart is the mighty ZX-14 engine. I've done exhaust, Air box &Filter and ECU Flash. Should be North of 150WHP and 105 ft/lbsWhp of torque with my mods. For a daily rider it's adequate. Shaft drive.
Specs
1352cc I-4 DOHC 16V with Variable Vavle timing, Direct Fuel-injection.
6-Speed Tetra lever shaft Drive (Feels like a chain bike)

Track and mountain Carver
2007 Suzuki SV1000N

I built this bike from frame up. Using the stock front forks, there ok but it was budget build. Loads of torque, light and nimble it's just a blast! Secondary throttle bodies removed, Power commander, custom 2-1 exhaust and Custom Yoshi can. 120WHP probably with close to 75 ft/lbs...
Specs
997cc, 90' Single Pin V-Twin, 8V Gear Driven Quad Cam, Fuel Injected.
6-speed, 520 Chain Drive conversion.

The Blast the problems away Super Cruiser
2004 Honda VTX1800

This was originally a god awful ugly VTX1800R with the huge ugly fenders and saddle bags... I retro fitted 78 Honda CB750 fenders and body accents. V&H shotgun pipes (No baffles), Custom K&N air breather and Power Commander. With this setup it has close to 105 WHP but a Bone crunching 130 Ft/Lbs of torque. Very fast for a cruiser although it's the slowest in my stable. Stone cold reliable.
Specs
1798cc (110ci) V-Twin, 6V SOHC, Fuel Injected
5-Speed with heal tow shifter, Shaft Drive.

All I got! It's my passion. I'm glad I can financially afford to rekindle my passion in cars too...

Thanks for tuning in!
Old 04-19-2016 | 10:27 AM
Jedz123

Originally Posted by Landshark
nice car, looks close to mine.

oh ... not the best for tuning. our 3.7L is kinda maxed out from the factory. unlike a turbo car, you'll spend $thousands to get a few extra horsepower.
now this won't be a popular opinion, but i wouldn't go throwing money at performance mods, and here is my reasoning:

AIR INTAKES:
expensive noise makers on this car, potential PITA for filter cleaning.
the stock air box is a cold air intake, drawing air from the high pressure area in front of the radiator. i suspect they will flow more than the engine can handle. the factory filters are so easy to remove its ridiculous. i replaced mine with R2C black hex panel filters so i can just clean and replace. CAI's are a PITA to access the filter, may need cutting up the car to install and are expensive. short rams will probably suck in hot engine bay air and lose you some hp. if you like the noise and want to pay for it, go ahead, but not worth it to me ..

EXHAUST:
again ... big money, small gains. IMHO, as a luxury sport coupe, the G37 shouldn't sound like a raspy grunting Chewbacca. i did get an axleback (Beluga, $260) that makes a nice, deeper, somewhat exotic sound. that was worth it to me, and also saved a bit of weight over the factory muffler (its HEAVY!). not worth it to me for a full exhaust as far as money vs. gain.

get a midnight black grille (or Plastidip yours), and the factory spoiler. nice appearance upgrade, IMHO.

good luck with your G!
Thanks for the heads up! The only things I would be chasing hard for is a sound, I think the G came out of the box with plenty of power! (hell it's 3X more powerful then what I've been driving for the past 6 years). Thanks for the advice on the Muffler, I'm not looking for power just a nicer tad louder sound. How does a CAI sound vs stock? The car is nice sounding as is but would like to bump the volume up a tad.

Tuning in would be the suspension piece, I've owned a few Miata in my time and went with the G for it's similar drive-train setup and handling capabilities AND it's a better day to day car then any of Miata's could ever be. I'm still researching. Check my post above and Speed is not what I need out of this car, I want to go fast I'll hop on my bikes. I'm looking for a quick good handling car... In the end. Which I a stock G does pretty dang well.

Thanks so much for the input!

-Jedz
Old 04-19-2016 | 12:44 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Yaris to G...interesting choice of upgrade
Old 04-19-2016 | 01:03 PM
Jedz123

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
When I bought the Yaris my Commute was 55 miles to work (one way) every day... I was a multi unit operator/ General Manager so I had to haul goods and supplies, not uncommon to travel +250 miles a day to support multiple units....
The Yaris HB fit those needs well.

Now my commute is 4 miles... I'm an Associate Executive Director, so the biggest load I carry is my satchel for my laptop and paperwork. Sometimes just 1 passenger, my boss to visit outlying operations.
The G fits these needs well.

Last edited by Jedz123; 04-19-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2016 | 03:20 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Used to own a ZG myself in a past life. AreaP exhaust, pc3, flies out, shad top box, gps, radar detector, heated grip, and some other adds on I can't remember any more.

Mine was one of the first models used by fuel moto to establish the mapping. IIRC ~150hp, and around 100 ft lb of torque. Plenty of power to get this pig moving.

40K later upgraded (?) to the 2010 fz1 because connie was porky Wanted something lighter more sporty, less heat.
Old 04-19-2016 | 04:47 PM
Jedz123

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Used to own a ZG myself in a past life. AreaP exhaust, pc3, flies out, shad top box, gps, radar detector, heated grip, and some other adds on I can't remember any more.

Mine was one of the first models used by fuel moto to establish the mapping. IIRC ~150hp, and around 100 ft lb of torque. Plenty of power to get this pig moving.

40K later upgraded (?) to the 2010 fz1 because connie was porky Wanted something lighter more sporty, less heat.
I went the other way...

How my Fizzy looked after I retired it with over 70K miles racked...

I had a B-king in between the Fizzy and the Connie... Realized power and speed is not what I needed in daily ridden machine. All weather, ABS, comfort and warmth for those +400 mile days. For it's size the Connie handles very well! I love mine.
Old 04-19-2016 | 05:00 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
I came from a Prius

Just like op, I was commuting about 400 miles per week while working for the government...and back then gas was about $4/gal!
Old 04-19-2016 | 10:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Nice group of bikes for sure!
Welcome to the site, glad you found us and glad you've ditched the Yaris ")
Old 04-19-2016 | 10:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I went the other way...

How my Fizzy looked after I retired it with over 70K miles racked...

I had a B-king in between the Fizzy and the Connie... Realized power and speed is not what I needed in daily ridden machine. All weather, ABS, comfort and warmth for those +400 mile days. For it's size the Connie handles very well! I love mine.
Ahh.. a first gen model. I sold mine at ~40K. Lots of touring too.

It wasn't until the 2010 model that kawasaki resolved the extreme heat (esp by the right foot/cat). Here in the midwest that turned out to be an issue on 90+ deg days.

Here's a pic of my fz1 from Shenandoah national park (VA).

Hi All! New G37S owner...-fpzhndd.jpg
Old 04-19-2016 | 11:14 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Track and mountain Carver
2007 Suzuki SV1000N

Oh, this thing is pretty.
Old 04-20-2016 | 12:05 AM
G37sGraphite

My god sounds like you stole this....
2013 G37 S with 18k miles and how much did you pay?
Options?

I own a 2013 also purchased a couple months ago...the exhaust note was too timid and with the Tanabe axel back and R2c intake I installed now has a nice deep growl without being annoying definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: Hi All! New G37S owner...