Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New member - 2013 G37x Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Ace_07
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
New member - 2013 G37x Coupe

Hi all. I posted my first intro in the Coupe section, where I have been lurking for the last three years, but I guess it was supposed to go here instead.

My car is a 2013 G37x Coupe, purchased new. Lapis Blue exterior, Stone interior w/ Premium/Navigation pkg. It's basically stock at this point but the warranty runs out soon so then it's game on. The only modifications I've made are cosmetic (Xpel Ultimate paint protection film).

I have very limited track experience. I have taken three autocross classes (two summer, one winter), and have attended driving courses at Skip Barber Racing School (Lime Rock Park, CT) and Bill Scott Racing (Summit Point Raceway, WV).

Here's my G37 fresh out of the detailer, after paint coating:

My car is currently on winter wheels/tires but those will come off in a few weeks. The wheels/tires in the above picture are my summer setup -- OEM tires, Enkei Tuning Tenjin 18x8 in gunmetal gray. I will swap to Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the summer wheels when the OEM tires wear down; I plan on a few more autocross days this year which will kill the OEM tires and then I can go with the summer rubber.

I am hoping to attend the summer meet in Gouldsboro, PA and see you folks in person.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:11 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum again man! I'm pretty sure I already commented on your other thread but what's wrong with 2 welcome messages! Lol the car looks beautiful man and we all hope to see you at the PA meet!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:00 PM
JeffG37x

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome! Beautiful car. You no longer need to lurk .
Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Nice intro, looks like you've done your homework to put that G through its' paces, have fun!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Ace_07
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome. Definitely going to try and make the August PA meet!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! Glad that you decided to join us and post. You're joining a great community. Folks here are very willing to help and share information. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions at all, we are always happy to help!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM
gnewbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice car! I have almost the same vehicle. Mine is "Slate Blue." Same interior color as yours I think. I've been calling it "beige." It works for California summers, though the "Lapis Blue" exterior would work even better.

Questions:
1) What lead you to going with the Enkei Tuning Tenjins over the stock rims?
Any performance data?
The Enkeis are nice, especially for one piece. Enkei has been a popular brand for decades now. The gun metal color would compliment mine almost perfectly.

BTW: tirerack.com has those going for 220 each, and they have a pic of what looks like your car in profile view. Just go through the "pick your car" directed wizard menu, then Media Gallery-> customer photos.

2) Your cars front end: clean and awesome. How did that happen? Your request when bought new?
[Edit: It's not molded into the font end, but I know that taking mine off would expose nasty drill holes that had to be done to put the plate housing on!]
My has molded into the plastic the ugly housing for the license plate. You've got me wondering if I can arrange a swap out with the dealer.

3) This is for anybody who can answer:
I bought mine used and had a VIN explosion done at the Infiniti dealership.
Apparently it's a 2013.5 g37x coupe, Tech Pkg, Nav Pkg, but not the "super-duper" cruise control. What was done differently at 2013.5 vs. 2013? Keep in mind this is not a Q model that supposedly happened at 2013.5.

Last edited by gnewbie; 04-17-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Question 2 edit
Old 04-21-2016, 08:43 PM
Ace_07
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gnewbie
1) What lead you to going with the Enkei Tuning Tenjins over the stock rims?
Any performance data?
I wanted reasonably priced aftermarket wheels that would reduce unsprung weight for better performance during autocross events. The Tenjin 18x8 is 21.0 lbs, which I believe is about 5.0 lbs lighter than the stock 18x8 Infiniti OEM wheel (don't quote me on that, I'm not sure about the exact numbers). I don't have any performance data but the benefits of less unsprung weight are well known.

By the way, I stashed my OEM wheels in the Enkei boxes from the Tenjins. When it comes time to resell my G37 the resale value will not be impacted negatively for having aftermarket wheels. I did not want to risk my OEM wheels on Pennsylvania roads; we have some of the worst roads in the nation as potholes and defects abound. If a pothole cracks one of my wheels, tt's much cheaper to pay $220 for a new Enkei Tenjin to pay Infiniti $400 for a new OEM wheel!

For the specific wheels themselves, I always liked the wheels from Steve McQueen's Ford Mustang GT in the movie "Bullitt". The Tenjins are available in gloss black or gunmetal gray, both with polished lip. Not being the classic 5-spoke design they are not the same as McQueen's wheels but the style is approximately the same. I prefer to have some contrast between the tire and the wheel so the polished lip worked well in that regard.

Last, as you point out Enkei is the maker of the G37 OEM wheels so I was confident that I was getting a quality product, even at a decent price.

Originally Posted by gnewbie
2) Your cars front end: clean and awesome. How did that happen? Your request when bought new?
I think it was dumb luck. I live in Pennsylvania, but purchased the car in Delaware. Neither Pennsylvania or Delaware mandate a front plate, so the dealer did not drill the front bumper. He gave me the front plate in case I re-sold the car to someone who would need it (e.g. New Jersey and New York residents).

I don't know the answer to your third question but best of luck in finding out!