Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:01 PM
funDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-purchase questions

Hi everyone. Current Legacy GT driver (in need of repairs), and before that, various VWs. My LGT is getting long in the tooth, and not sure how much longer I can rely on it as a DD.

So, I'm looking at a G37 sedan. Chevy SS would be nice, but it's a lot more $$, and I don't drive that much on a daily basis, at the current time. G37 seems like the fastest/sportiest near-luxury cars that's not insanely expensive. To get > 330 hp really needs a jump in $$, except for maybe Charger R/T, but that's about the same performance, I hear, since it's much heavier. Charger Scat Pack is around the same as a Chevy SS.

I'm trying to understand all the various combinations of cars available and what to look for. I'm looking 2012-2013 only, due to the paper gasket thing, low mileage, CPO, etc..

I sat in a sport sedan, and the seats nearly broke my legs/hips (yes, I need to go on a diet - read that thread and LOLed!). Also drove a G37x and liked that, coming from an AWD subaru. However, AWD isn't a hard-and-fast requirement - I don't use AWD all that often. I've needed it maybe 3 times on trips to Tahoe in 11 years, and even then, our FWD Grand Caravan would probably have been just fine. G37x's almost seem cheaper here than a regular G37 sedan.

I saw that some adjustment to the air in the bolsters in the sport seats is possible, and some have modded the seats. That's still an outside consideration, but generally, looking for a model with NON-sport seats.

I'm wondering, how much of the sport package is relatively easily obtainable (outside of the seats) without too much hacking/hassle. I believe the sports package consists of:
a) LSD
b) paddle shifters (auto)
c) sport seats
d) bigger wheels
e) faster rack
f) bigger brakes
g) sport suspension

Anything I missed? From reading up, I think that b), d) and f) are relatively easy to do (just $$) for both G37 and G37x if the car is prewired for shifters - any way to know? Is it easy to check (such as when test-driving/buying the car)? I know it may be not be as fast as the shifter (my LGT has a similar transmission to the G35 5AT, so I'm quite familiar with the shift lag, etc), but I like the paddles just for fun..

G37x:
For AWD, I think the LSD isn't as needed as much, although I wouldn't mind. Does the G37x come with the faster rack? I was unclear about this. Also, do aftermarket suspension options exist? Can the factory sport suspension be swapped in? I believe a coupe rear sway (or aftermarket) is recommended. G37xs is just an appearance package, right? So, bigger tires and what? Paddles? Anything that's not easy to add later?

G37 (non-x): can the LSD be swapped in? Not cheap, I'm sure. What about rack? Is the sport suspension a direct fit? Is it worth it, or just easier to get aftermarket suspension? I currently have Konis on my LGT, but have had Bilstein PSS9s before ('94 Corrado VR6), etc..

That is, how close can I get to a sport version WITHOUT the tiny sport seats, starting from a non-sports model?

Also, it seems that the sound system is just like the one in my Legacy - integrated into everything - and really hard to replace? But, wiring the head unit into aftermarket amp + speakers works ok? How hard is it to get AT the speakers to replace them? Anything else I need to know about the stereo/nav? Does the backup camera come standard with or without nav? Do all Nav systems come with the 10-speaker Bose? Any combinations to prefer or avoid? What kind of CD/DVD/mp3 options are supported with the various sytems? I had to swap my 6-disc CD player for an '06 CD player to get mp3 support in my Legacy. I see some of the units are hard-drive based - are those upgradable/replaceable? Hard drives go bad... Can I put in an SSD? Can I use DVDs with mp3s (as data) on them? I don't NEED nav - I have an Android phone if I need it. But, I also don't dislike built-in nav.

There are a bunch of '12 and '13 G37/G37x examples available for around $21-24k, CPO and not, with 25-38k miles.. That's sort of my sweet spot.

Any other suggestions? What's the largest wheel/tire size that can be fitted without any mods?

Thanks for any help. Sorry for so many questions.
fd
Old 12-11-2015, 08:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by funDriver
Hi everyone. Current Legacy GT driver (in need of repairs), and before that, various VWs. My LGT is getting long in the tooth, and not sure how much longer I can rely on it as a DD.

So, I'm looking at a G37 sedan. Chevy SS would be nice, but it's a lot more $$, and I don't drive that much on a daily basis, at the current time. G37 seems like the fastest/sportiest near-luxury cars that's not insanely expensive. To get > 330 hp really needs a jump in $$, except for maybe Charger R/T, but that's about the same performance, I hear, since it's much heavier. Charger Scat Pack is around the same as a Chevy SS.

I'm trying to understand all the various combinations of cars available and what to look for. I'm looking 2012-2013 only, due to the paper gasket thing, low mileage, CPO, etc..

I sat in a sport sedan, and the seats nearly broke my legs/hips (yes, I need to go on a diet - read that thread and LOLed!). Also drove a G37x and liked that, coming from an AWD subaru. However, AWD isn't a hard-and-fast requirement - I don't use AWD all that often. I've needed it maybe 3 times on trips to Tahoe in 11 years, and even then, our FWD Grand Caravan would probably have been just fine. G37x's almost seem cheaper here than a regular G37 sedan.

I saw that some adjustment to the air in the bolsters in the sport seats is possible, and some have modded the seats. That's still an outside consideration, but generally, looking for a model with NON-sport seats.

I'm wondering, how much of the sport package is relatively easily obtainable (outside of the seats) without too much hacking/hassle. I believe the sports package consists of:
a) LSD
b) paddle shifters (auto)
c) sport seats
d) bigger wheels
e) faster rack
f) bigger brakes
g) sport suspension

Anything I missed? From reading up, I think that b), d) and f) are relatively easy to do (just $$) for both G37 and G37x if the car is prewired for shifters - any way to know? Is it easy to check (such as when test-driving/buying the car)? I know it may be not be as fast as the shifter (my LGT has a similar transmission to the G35 5AT, so I'm quite familiar with the shift lag, etc), but I like the paddles just for fun..

G37x:
For AWD, I think the LSD isn't as needed as much, although I wouldn't mind. Does the G37x come with the faster rack? I was unclear about this. Also, do aftermarket suspension options exist? Can the factory sport suspension be swapped in? I believe a coupe rear sway (or aftermarket) is recommended. G37xs is just an appearance package, right? So, bigger tires and what? Paddles? Anything that's not easy to add later?

G37 (non-x): can the LSD be swapped in? Not cheap, I'm sure. What about rack? Is the sport suspension a direct fit? Is it worth it, or just easier to get aftermarket suspension? I currently have Konis on my LGT, but have had Bilstein PSS9s before ('94 Corrado VR6), etc..

That is, how close can I get to a sport version WITHOUT the tiny sport seats, starting from a non-sports model?

Also, it seems that the sound system is just like the one in my Legacy - integrated into everything - and really hard to replace? But, wiring the head unit into aftermarket amp + speakers works ok? How hard is it to get AT the speakers to replace them? Anything else I need to know about the stereo/nav? Does the backup camera come standard with or without nav? Do all Nav systems come with the 10-speaker Bose? Any combinations to prefer or avoid? What kind of CD/DVD/mp3 options are supported with the various sytems? I had to swap my 6-disc CD player for an '06 CD player to get mp3 support in my Legacy. I see some of the units are hard-drive based - are those upgradable/replaceable? Hard drives go bad... Can I put in an SSD? Can I use DVDs with mp3s (as data) on them? I don't NEED nav - I have an Android phone if I need it. But, I also don't dislike built-in nav.

There are a bunch of '12 and '13 G37/G37x examples available for around $21-24k, CPO and not, with 25-38k miles.. That's sort of my sweet spot.

Any other suggestions? What's the largest wheel/tire size that can be fitted without any mods?

Thanks for any help. Sorry for so many questions.
fd
Welcome to the site, must have missed this thread

Looks like you've done plenty pf research and preparation, kudos for that

I'd look around and see if you can find a G37S RWD, and it sounds like an AT is fine so that should be easier to find compared to the 6MT S model. The seats can be modified, and since it sounds like you won't be sitting in the passenger seat you'd just need to tweak one seat., or maybe you'd get used to it over time.
That would be the best plan IMO to get the most boxes checked off your list, especially the LS differential and the quicker steering ratio.

As far as biggest wheels/tires, if you do lower your G on coilovers or springs the bigger 19 & 20" wheels look proper, on a stock height I'd stick to 18s.

The suspension and exhaust mods have more options w/ the RWD and if you want a staggered wheel/tire set the AWD has very tight front to rear diameter variance so that's an issue to consider as well.

I'd try searching for a RWD S model and spread your search wide enough that you can find on at your price point. Our site FS classifieds have some nice rides too.

If you just can't get used to that seat I'm sure you could find someone that would trade there non S seats for yours mush easier than trying to add all those S parts to a non S G.
G/L in your search and shoot me a PM if you want to discuss particulars.
Brad