Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New to the forum, potential G37 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:37 AM
sbdunn1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum, potential G37 owner

Greetings! I'm currently in the market to replace my ageing but still reliable '96 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme. At any rate, I'm looking at a '12-'13 g37. I'm unsure whether I want the sedan or coupe, mostly dependant on what the insurance guy feels about my purchase. I'm already getting hit for being 22 and wanting this type of car. But man it's it incredible from the little I've looked at it! (But I'm sure y'all didn't need any convincing of that!)

Now that I can dispense with the formalities, I'm looking for a CPO g37 so that I can at least maintain the factory warranty while in college. That being said, is there anything that I should "worry about/look for" in this generation of G? I know some have said that the pre-'12s had some issues, just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered before I dive headfirst into the realm of higher car insurance and a car payment.

Thanks for any and all advice in advance!
Old 07-04-2015, 09:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Welcome to the site. Should be a quite a boost going from a mid 90s Cutlass to a current G, just be careful until you get used to it

If you plan on using the back seat for more than groceries often I'd go w/ the sedan. If it's just you and another in the car for a huge majority of the time than the coupe would get the nod. Both cars are virtually equal in performance and the sedan might be slightly cheaper to insure but YMMV.

You should be able to get an extended elite warranty on a non-CPO car through your Infiniti dealer but not 100% sure on that

I would look for the S model for whatever G you decide to get. All 6 speed manual transmissions are S models but the automatics it's sold as a Journey with sport package. The S package gets you big brakes, bigger wheels w/ summer tires, thigh bolstered seats, limited slip diff, paddle shifters in the automatics, aluminum pedals, different bumper, and a cool red S on the trunk.
HTHs and G/L w/ your search
Brad
Old 07-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I'd suspect insurance might be slightly cheaper on a 4 dr. Depending how tall you are, the back seats may be just as useless in a sedan as they are in a 4dr. I'm 6' and have the seat a fair ways back. A small child could sit back there comfortably, but no adult.

The decision is ultimately very much a personal preference.

This is not the car to get unless you're commuting to college. If you're living on campus your vehicle will sit 90% of the time or more. Not good for the vehicle or your wallet as it depreciates even more. If your cutlas is in decent shape, hold on to it until you graduate.