Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New to Forum and to the G

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Nickflair04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Forum and to the G

Hey everyone! New to the forum and thought I would introduce myself. Picking up my nice new (to me, anyway) Liquid Platinum 2009 G37x after work today. I'm coming from a 2011 Juke which was totaled two weeks ago when I was hit by a driver failing to yield to traffic while making a left turn. I've always liked the looks of the G and would never be able to afford one new, so I took this opportunity to buy a used one on the cheap with the insurance settlement.

I'm a little anxious about it as it already has 77k miles on it. However, the Carfax came back clean, it looks very well maintained, the reliability reviews I've seen on the G are superb, and I do almost all of my own repairs short of a complete engine rebuild. I'm sure once I actually take it on a nice long drive, my anxiety will go away.

This forum has been a great source of answers to many questions I've had in researching the car to make my decision and seems to have some fantastic information on repairs and the like. Any words of advice to a soon to be new G owner?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Hey Nick,
Welcome to the site & congrats on your new ride, quite a power boost from your Juke
Sounds like you've already spent some time on the site, nice to hear you're not afraid to get under a car and twist some wrenches. I'd spend time in the DIY section as there's a lot you can do to the car on your own and save some green.
Have fun & enjoy your new G and the site!
Brad
Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Nickflair04

Picked up my G last night. Here are my first blush impressions:

Negatives

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first. Being a used car, I knew there would be some little repairs and replacements necessary, and most of them very minor. Driver's side floor mat has a hole in it and needs replaced, and the other mats could be replaced as well. The floor mat in the trunk is torn to shreds - it looks like a dog got loose in there and was digging at it. One of the hooks for the rear cargo net is missing, which is again a cheap fix. It has the usual flaking on the steering wheel trim and also a little flaking of the chrome on the shift ****, but those are easy fixes. It has a slight smoke smell, which I didn't notice on the test drive and I'm sure will fade with time. The brakes aren't as responsive as I had hoped, but to quote my wife, I "drive like a grandpa" most of the time and that shouldn't be a major issue.

The only real issue I have is that there are a few faint arc scratches on the windshield. They are virtually unnoticeable during the day, and I didn't notice at all until I was halfway home from the dealership. At first I thought it was a bug smear, but upon further inspection, it's a grouping of surface scratches. At night, the scratches become very noticeable and aggravating. I'm hoping that they don't get worse and cause me to have to replace the whole thing.

Finally, it doesn't have the nav system, Bluetooth, or ipod integration. I knew all of this buying it and none were deal breakers because they are easy enough to work around. I just couldn't find a G in my price range that had those three features. They would have been nice little bonuses.

Positives

Now for the good stuff. In general, it's very clean for a used car with just under 80K miles on it and has virtually no dings or body scratches that I can see. The underbody has some rust, but nothing unusual for a 5 year old car and looks at least as good, if not better, than my wife's 2009 Mazda 3.

I find it to be a very comfortable ride, especially in comparison with the Juke, and a much quieter one as well. I like the brushed aluminum interior trim and actually like the analog clock display - it's just a bit unique. The back seat seems to offer plenty of leg room. I really like that it allows me to set maintenance reminders. I've also never driven a vehicle with HIDs before, and they make night driving much better.

One unexpected love - the engine air filter design is fantastic and will be the most easily accessible air filters I have ever experienced changing. I'm hoping the other maintenance is just as simple, but I'm not holding my breath. Along the same lines, I like that there is no hood support rod in the way when working on the engine. Seems like it will make things much easier to get at without having to work around it.

The drive is great. It's like having my old Juke on the sports setting all the time, with twice the power!

I'm looking forward to taking it out on the highway this weekend and actually getting it up to speed. Also looking forward to testing our the AWD in the winter and hope it performs well in the snow.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
g37xforme

I also recently upgraded from a Juke to a G37X. I LOVE all the extra power, and the fact that it can fit two car seats in the back (that was my justification to the wife for the new ride), unlike the Juke. I also feel like an adult driving the G.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 PM
ModBargains.com
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome Nickflair04

Welcome
Congrats on the new ride.