Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

FI G37x or trade for a 335xi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Mobius118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FI G37x or trade for a 335xi?

Hello all,

I suppose this is a rather awkward first post, but here it goes anyways. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has some buyer’s remorse over their car, and it is a real shame. I do love my G, but the biggest and most everpresent issue I have with the car is that it just does not perform as advertised. I have a G37xS 2009 sedan, and the quoted quarter mile time for the car is 13.9 @ 100.5 (@102 for the coupe, even though it’s heavier). Only once, on a 48F day with the heater blasting did I ever trap 100 mph in my car. Stock the best I got was 14.3 @ 98 mph. After adding Berk HFC’s, Stillen Gen 3’s, Tanabe Exhaust, and Uprev, I finally managed 13.97 @ 99.9 mph. Adding onto that an Exhaust Depot Y-pipe, TopSpeed Pro-1 catback, and grounding kit, I managed a 13.77 @ 100.1 mph. This weekend, I ran at Byron Dragway and managed a best of 14.36 @ 96 mph. The only changes I made were stickier rubber, M370 manifold, and updated tune. Sure, the weather might have been less than ideal, but having a best of 13.8 @ 100 with the heater blasting on a cold day is a severe disappointment. Especially after spending over $2500 on mods to the car. I do realize that the G37x is not a quarter mile car, but even so I’ve seen members on here run low 13’s with much fewer modifications. Also, I’ve on two occasions received a 2011/2012 x sedan as a loaner, and it absolutely blows the doors off mine in terms of acceleration. I’m not sure if this could be my high mileage (80k), a transmission issue, or just sheer bad luck. This being said, I’m strongly considering trading in for a BMW 335i. Unfortunately, my car is valued at about $16k on a trade-in. I bought it just over a year ago with 41k for $26k. For that difference, I could easily get a Stillen supercharger and the associated warranty, however I drive to work 100 miles a day round trip; so the 3yr/36k Stillen warranty would be gone in a year, well before the car is paid off. The 335i comes FI from the factory, so the inherent reliability in the N54 motor is higher when subjected to boost vs the VQ37, irrespective of the HPFP issues with the N54. Basically, I’m in the dilemma of whether to get a 335 (which in AWD form, mildly tuned, can cut a 1.7 sec 60ft and run low 13s all day), or to shell out and FI my as yet not-paid-off G37 in the hopes that I’ll have similar performance numbers with the Stillen (haven’t really seen any X times on here from members with the supercharger). I do want a reliable DD, but I do also track the car twice a year or so and even though the suspension setup on my G is pretty nice for a 4000 lbs car in the twisties, the straightline performance is extremely disappointing, especially when compared with a stock 2011 x sedan.

Does anybody have any thoughts or guidance on this matter? I know this is sort of a weird way to introduce myself to the community, but I am really torn as I don’t see too much potential in my particular car. Thanks in advance!

Martin
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobius118
Hello all,

I suppose this is a rather awkward first post, but here it goes anyways. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has some buyer’s remorse over their car, and it is a real shame. I do love my G, but the biggest and most everpresent issue I have with the car is that it just does not perform as advertised. I have a G37xS 2009 sedan, and the quoted quarter mile time for the car is 13.9 @ 100.5 (@102 for the coupe, even though it’s heavier). Only once, on a 48F day with the heater blasting did I ever trap 100 mph in my car. Stock the best I got was 14.3 @ 98 mph. After adding Berk HFC’s, Stillen Gen 3’s, Tanabe Exhaust, and Uprev, I finally managed 13.97 @ 99.9 mph. Adding onto that an Exhaust Depot Y-pipe, TopSpeed Pro-1 catback, and grounding kit, I managed a 13.77 @ 100.1 mph. This weekend, I ran at Byron Dragway and managed a best of 14.36 @ 96 mph. The only changes I made were stickier rubber, M370 manifold, and updated tune. Sure, the weather might have been less than ideal, but having a best of 13.8 @ 100 with the heater blasting on a cold day is a severe disappointment. Especially after spending over $2500 on mods to the car. I do realize that the G37x is not a quarter mile car, but even so I’ve seen members on here run low 13’s with much fewer modifications. Also, I’ve on two occasions received a 2011/2012 x sedan as a loaner, and it absolutely blows the doors off mine in terms of acceleration. I’m not sure if this could be my high mileage (80k), a transmission issue, or just sheer bad luck. This being said, I’m strongly considering trading in for a BMW 335i. Unfortunately, my car is valued at about $16k on a trade-in. I bought it just over a year ago with 41k for $26k. For that difference, I could easily get a Stillen supercharger and the associated warranty, however I drive to work 100 miles a day round trip; so the 3yr/36k Stillen warranty would be gone in a year, well before the car is paid off. The 335i comes FI from the factory, so the inherent reliability in the N54 motor is higher when subjected to boost vs the VQ37, irrespective of the HPFP issues with the N54. Basically, I’m in the dilemma of whether to get a 335 (which in AWD form, mildly tuned, can cut a 1.7 sec 60ft and run low 13s all day), or to shell out and FI my as yet not-paid-off G37 in the hopes that I’ll have similar performance numbers with the Stillen (haven’t really seen any X times on here from members with the supercharger). I do want a reliable DD, but I do also track the car twice a year or so and even though the suspension setup on my G is pretty nice for a 4000 lbs car in the twisties, the straightline performance is extremely disappointing, especially when compared with a stock 2011 x sedan.

Does anybody have any thoughts or guidance on this matter? I know this is sort of a weird way to introduce myself to the community, but I am really torn as I don’t see too much potential in my particular car. Thanks in advance!

Martin
Welcome to the site Martin. Too bad your G is not meeting your expectations, sounds like you've been plunking quite a bit of coin into it too
Probably should have got a more drag worthy car from the start, something like a 5.0 Mustang would sh*t-n-git, although it comes up short in the near luxury dept. that Infinitis do pretty well.
Not sure what else to say, might wait a bit and look into the new Mercedes
CLA 45 AMG coming out in Sept, that's bad as$ out of the box. At any rate, quite a quandry, good luck w/ your journey.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if money is no object for you then go for the 335i. I really wanted a 335i took it for a test drive and the response of the throttle owns the G anyday. I was going to pull the trigger on one but I saw the sticker price at 58k, and I looked at my notes and the G was for 43k... Yes the bimmer trumps the G is most aspects of the car, but not 15k more...
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Mobius118

Thanks guys! The G is great at highways speeds and I love the sounds of that VQ, but the BMW (especially the XI from a dig) just has this gut-wrenching wave of torque. BMW also seems to fuss less if they found out you're taking your car on the track, although compared with the G a similarly priced 3-series is spartan at best. Money isn't too much of an object, as eitherway the car would be used: I've only been out of college and in the real world for two years. For used prices, the cars are similar, but I would much more trust my G at 80k than anything German.

And blnewt, I was thinking of a 5.0, but just something about the American muscle and midwest roads/weather didn't seem like the most livable combination. Though the G drinks as much as a 5.0 would. The worst is just how much fun I had with my two loaners; you'd think a full tune and full bolt on's would get me a good 25 whp and maybe a half second off the 1320. With sways and staggered tires, I had a blast running the road course at the Milwaukee Mile; but that's not a very "everyday" situation. I can't say I'd feel too great putting more money in the suspension if I can't get stock-like straight line performance to begin with.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Drove a 135i last year and that was a blast, very strong launch and they respond better to tunes than the VQ, if you just want a 2 seater w/ a kiddie back seat that might be an option. The 135i's tend to get better reviews than the current 335s since I think the 135s have kept a few of the older mechanics of the previous gen 335 that were generally better received.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Ralphie_S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have owned both cars. I would honestly prefer the G37 over the 335xi. The overall build quality of the BMW is second to none, but the G37 gains the reliability nod with the high pressure fuel pump issues in the 335. This was however recalled by BMW and they will service it up to 125K miles (dont quote me). Gas mileage is pretty similar between the two cars. The real difference is the cost of the parts. BMW parts tend to cost a bit more, this holds true over the entire ownership of car.

my verdict:
performance/handling/braking BMW > G37

Reliability/Styling/ G37> BMW
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobius118
Hello all,

Martin

Cliff notes??
Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Mobius118

Haha, sorry.

Basically disappointed with my G37 in terms of straightline "umph" and looking for something faster. I can take out some money to supercharge the G, or I can cut my losses and trade for a 335i, which while not as reliable and cheap to maintain will respond better to tunes (ie. might have to worry about G37x tranny and awd damage with FI).

From what I see, the best supercharged G37 performance is about 400 whp and low 13's in the quarter mile, which is similar to a 335i with JB4.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Mobius118

And Ralphie, I completely agree with you about the G37 styling > BMW.

I test drove a 335xi coupe on my way back from work and while it had the 2door sex appeal, the interior was rather bland, and the 17-inch wheels (with runflats) were a bit pathetic. It definitely had all of the torque the Infiniti is lacking, at least until Nissan implements direct injection a la Hyundai.

I will give the nod to the G37 for the 7AT, however. I curse the transmission lag, but the Bimmer has an absolutely infuriating "kickdown" feature which, even in manual mode, will downshift a couple gears if the gas is pressed down all the way. It also will not hold the car at redline. Once in awhile it can be fun to bounce off the rev limiter : )
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the gut wrenching torque on the bimmer is how they set the torque curve. I believe specs said the torque on the bimmer arrives near idle, versus the G the torque arrives around 6k? But hats off to bimmer they know how to make engines, only thing I worry about is how much service will cost, especially on a pre-owned bimmer.
A 5.0 stang does sound awesome, but are you really going to drag everyday?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum Martin.

If you are concerned with reliability and are using this car as a daily commuter with high miles, why the hell do you care about a few tenths of 1/4 mile time? Sounds like you need to build yourself a second car as a track car and leave your daily driver alone if you're worried about long term dependability. You can buy an old civic dirt cheap and mod it dirt cheap to make it an 11 second car.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I believe stillen makes a kit which they will warranty, don't they? I had a dealer mention it to me of all things
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the Forums Martin,

Have you seen the BMW 4 Series yet?

BMW 4 Series Coupé : Information

I'll take one in black please, yes, thank you.

Nick C.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Welcome to the Forums Martin,

Have you seen the BMW 4 Series yet?

BMW 4 Series Coupé : Information

I'll take one in black please, yes, thank you.

Nick C.
Sign me up! Nice!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Mobius118

That 4 series is nice, but for sure out of my price range, at least for a couple of years.

Black Betty, funny you mentioned the Civic, since somebody wants to trade a B16a EF hatch for my 132k mile 99 Subaru Forester. I'm probably going to take him up on his offer, since that would be a car that I wouldn't worry about beating up on the track. Sometimes though, it's nice to be able to have that kind of power in a DD, and be able to once in awhile take something "nicer" to the track.

The ideal car though, is one that's as close to stock as possible with the desired performance out of the box (or with mild bolt-ons). I figured with about 350hp a bolt-on G37 would work, I'm just not getting the thrill I expected of it. I had a Cobb Stage 1 Legacy GT as my previous vehicle that ran high 13's all day long, and my friends' 05 G35 6MT with I/H/E was a 13.6 @ 104. I suppose I just got used to that level of straight line performance and was looking for it in my new ride. It's the 0-60 and 0-100 that gets used more as a DD, whereas a light and agile car like a Golf, Civic, or Miata has more use on track.

Quick Reply: FI G37x or trade for a 335xi?