Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 AM
N8finiti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down New owner with some questions

So I'm the proud new owner of an 09 g37xS with nav, bluetooth, and I think the premium package. I think it's a great car, but there are some serious issues I have with it.

First off, I already ordered and installed the workaround from the nanny system that doesn't allow you to do anything when you're moving. In the words of my wife, apparently Infiniti assumes none of its patrons could possibly have friends that can work the GPS or change settings while driving. Massive frustration with this, but I'm learning to cope.

Secondly, is EVERYBODY's auto transmission as sh**ty as mine? The transmission is so indecisive on gear changes that I finally just took it to the dealer to do an update on everything (Nav, trans, engine, everything). Yet I still find myself putting it in manual mode and shifting it myself. Is there something wrong with my trans, or is this just what they do?

Thirdly, is there any way to upgrade to the newer nav system that allows stuff like BT streaming and a USB port? I don't have an Apple device (not that it matters, since they changed the port config yet again) and would like to have the ability to use the car's controls on my Droid.

I appreciate any help you can give!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
The nanny system, as you put it, is there to save your life lest you take your eyes off the road too long fiddling with the system that may be deadly at highway speeds. True, it means a passenger cannot work the GPS either. Although the car’s system knows if someone is occupying the passenger seat (for air bag purposes) theoretically allowing them to work the nav, the safety premise assumes that a driver, from time to time, could not resists the urge to do it himself if the system so allowed, so it doesn’t.

Also note that any discussion on nav “workarounds” is against this forum’s rules.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I wrote up a DIY about adding a bluetooth receiver to the line in ports in the center console storage. It works for streaming bluetooth fine and preserves the phone/bluetooth function built into the sound system. The only caveat is the only way to control the music playing on the phone is via the phone. Not a big problem for me though.

I have an 09 X coupe and had issues with my transmission similar to what you describe. I explained what was going on to my service manager and mentioned the TSB. They applied a firmware update to my transmission and it seems to behave much better now.

David

David
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
N8finiti

Originally Posted by YellowJacket
I wrote up a DIY about adding a bluetooth receiver to the line in ports in the center console storage. It works for streaming bluetooth fine and preserves the phone/bluetooth function built into the sound system. The only caveat is the only way to control the music playing on the phone is via the phone. Not a big problem for me though.

I have an 09 X coupe and had issues with my transmission similar to what you describe. I explained what was going on to my service manager and mentioned the TSB. They applied a firmware update to my transmission and it seems to behave much better now.

David

David
Yeah, I went in and paid to have them do all of the updates. It shifted smoother, but there's still a massive delay before it reacts. Maybe I'll go to the dealership and ask to drive a similar model for comparison.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM
N8finiti

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Chekov
The nanny system, as you put it, is there to save your life lest you take your eyes off the road too long fiddling with the system that may be deadly at highway speeds. True, it means a passenger cannot work the GPS either. Although the car’s system knows if someone is occupying the passenger seat (for air bag purposes) theoretically allowing them to work the nav, the safety premise assumes that a driver, from time to time, could not resists the urge to do it himself if the system so allowed, so it doesn’t.

Also note that any discussion on nav “workarounds” is against this forum’s rules.
So it naturally assumes that everybody has ADHD and can't resist tinkering when they see something shiny. If you've bought a car, it's safe to assume you're an adult. So what's the justification of not being able to use seat memory unless you're in park? You can still adjust the seat, you just have to take more time and be distracted longer doing it.

And it's good to know that this forum is every bit as willing to treat you like a child as the car is. Just means I need to find a new forum and maybe a new car.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
What you may not understand that not every car driver is an adult. Young, irresponsible drivers are everywhere. That’s why insurance rates are so high for younger drivers. Certainly Nissan is aware of this and does not want to share their liability with such drivers. In the long run having to pay out millions of dollars in liability claims in our litigious society would only add to the MSRP. In that regard we are saving money on our next Infiniti and perhaps a few lives in general. If you think about it, that may include yours.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Irresponsible drivers come in all age categories -- insurance rates are high for older drivers too. Some shouldn't even be driving any more.

People turn in front of you because they can. Run you off the road because they don't care. If folks actually had to earn their license, drivers would be more respective of others.

In my world, everyone would drive a MT, no cup holders, cell phone jammers while vehicle is in motion, be forced to adhere to strict following distance, etc etc.