Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

First mod: LED interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 AM
valau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First mod: LED interior lighting

Hey guys! I just did my first mod: installed a full set of interior white LED's from Diode Dynamics (other than the glovebox. I'll figure that one out when I have more time). The map lights are a little hard on the eyes for me, but I think the overall look is worth it. Door lights are finally matching the lit up Infiniti logo, which is awesome, and the license plate lights just look awesome. All 11 bulbs took just under an hour to install for me.

The headlights are beginning to look a bit yellow in comparison now... maybe I'll replace them next.

Let me know what you guys think!
Attached Thumbnails First mod: LED interior lighting-photo-may-15-9-58-07-pm.jpg   First mod: LED interior lighting-photo-may-15-11-37-57-pm.jpg   First mod: LED interior lighting-photo-may-15-11-38-09-pm.jpg  
Old 05-16-2013, 11:01 AM
terpdx
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks nice! I just received a full interior + license plate set from DD yesterday and am planning on installing them over the weekend. I went with a Stage I (except for the vanity, which they only offered at Stage II) since I'm looking more for a nice color match than brightness.

Question - What did you use to pop off all of the light covers, and did they pop off w/o a problem?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM
phxflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did mine last weekend, LOVE the difference. I went Stage 1 as well, not sure why anyone would want, or could handle, any brighter!

terpdx - I used my smallest flat head screwdriver and wrapped a piece of duct tape over the end to prevent scratching. Didn't have a single issue with it. However, next time, I think I'd find a piece of plastic the same size as the screwdriver to be even safer.

valau - Did you do the City Lights also? Makes a big difference. Also, if you follow the excellent DIY here on the forums the glove box is not as scary as it seems. A little time consuming but not bad.

phxflyboy
Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Looks awesome! Thanks for posting. Remember, you have 90 days to exchange at no cost, if you want to swap out the maps for warm white or something slightly less bright.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 PM
DPNx714

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Looking good!

I just did all my lights yesterday and skipped the glove box too.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 PM
MyBeast

Luks gr8....
I did mine a month ago....blue LEDs
My interior Luks soo much better, next led strips in the frnt floor :P
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM
phxflyboy

Originally Posted by DPNx714
Looking good!

I just did all my lights yesterday and skipped the glove box too.
Awww, come on, you GOTTA do the glove box! Seriously, it's way easier than it looks. Just follow the guide here on the forums. You'll be glad you did, much brighter and easier to see things in there.

phxflyboy
Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 AM
valau

Originally Posted by phxflyboy
I did mine last weekend, LOVE the difference. I went Stage 1 as well, not sure why anyone would want, or could handle, any brighter!

terpdx - I used my smallest flat head screwdriver and wrapped a piece of duct tape over the end to prevent scratching. Didn't have a single issue with it. However, next time, I think I'd find a piece of plastic the same size as the screwdriver to be even safer.

valau - Did you do the City Lights also? Makes a big difference. Also, if you follow the excellent DIY here on the forums the glove box is not as scary as it seems. A little time consuming but not bad.

phxflyboy
Will do the glovebox light when I have a bit more time and a driveway to work in.

As for the city lights, I've seen them around on a bunch of websites, but don't really know what they are. Will read up and definitely look into it!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 AM
phxflyboy

Originally Posted by valau
Will do the glovebox light when I have a bit more time and a driveway to work in.

As for the city lights, I've seen them around on a bunch of websites, but don't really know what they are. Will read up and definitely look into it!
"City Lights" are just Infiniti's name for parking lights. They're the small lights between the headlights. They are yellowish in stock form and look much better as LED's.

phxflyboy
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 AM
terpdx
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did all of my interior lights last weekend and, at first, thought that I couple of them didn't work until I realized that the lights have +/- sides to them. It would be nice if someone mentioned that along the way. Once I figured that out, replacing the lights wasn't difficult at all and the interior/license plate looks great now!

Of course, that applies to everything except for the glove box. Are you kidding me with that thing!? That has to be some kind of sick practical joke on behalf of the designers. Everyone says it's not difficult, but I took a look through the instructions elsewhere on this site and it looks like a PITA to me. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:13 AM
valau

Thanks for the info phx. Not a huge fan of the stock yellow 'city lights,' but I don't know if I hate it enough to bother changing the bulbs. If I do though, I'll probably change everything (turn signal lights and fogs) as well so that the entire headlight looks nice and white.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM
phxflyboy

Originally Posted by terpdx
I did all of my interior lights last weekend and, at first, thought that I couple of them didn't work until I realized that the lights have +/- sides to them. It would be nice if someone mentioned that along the way.
Every DIY I've read and the Diode Dynamics instructions specifically mention the polarity of the bulbs. And I'm glad I read them, I believe that of all the bulbs I replaced, I had 3 of them in the correct way on the first try! And the glove box IS kind of a PITA but if you just follow the DIY you'll get it done with no problem.

phxflyboy
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
phxflyboy

Originally Posted by valau
Thanks for the info phx. Not a huge fan of the stock yellow 'city lights,' but I don't know if I hate it enough to bother changing the bulbs. If I do though, I'll probably change everything (turn signal lights and fogs) as well so that the entire headlight looks nice and white.
Seriously, give it a go. It really isn't all that tough. You just need to remove the air intakes and then it's a breeze. And the air intakes come off very easily, and that's coming from someone who does NOT work on their engine. Just follow the DIY posted here and you'll see how easy it is. Probably won't take more than 20 minutes. You'll be glad you did them.

phxflyboy
Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by terpdx
I did all of my interior lights last weekend and, at first, thought that I couple of them didn't work until I realized that the lights have +/- sides to them. It would be nice if someone mentioned that along the way
It says on the packaging of each bulb and in the instructions that came with the order.

It's pretty funny, our testing guys plug each and every bulb in to test it, and they say they're having good or bad days based on how lucky they get with polarity. It's just part of working with LEDs!

Paul