Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

May ask "stupid" questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 AM
JustFiona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May ask "stupid" questions

I am doing lots of reading. My dream car is the G37X. Right now I am driving a Subaru Legacy 3R Limited, which is a great car, but I am shopping. My husband wants me to do lots of research before I change cars.....again. He wants me to have a car I will LOVE for a long time. I have looked into the Altima 3.5 coupe, but it still isn't the same. So I am looking for lots of answers. Lease, buy, real mileage, snow capabilities and more
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You're in luck, all the stupid questions have already been asked and answered over and over so you'll have a huge database to work with.

But seriously, search is your friend. Use the advanced search function to narrow down results rather than getting very broad answers. Look through all the info that's here because whatever questions you have they've probably been addressed before.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Its all personal preferance

If you like subaru get another subaru.. more speed get a wrx or an evo. Want luxury get a g37x. Tires are one of the major factors when it comes to all wheel drive in how a car handles in snow. Obviously programming and how it splits torque matter also. How often does it snow where you are.. how deep. Are the roads kept up when it does.. all this matters. My best advice. Pick 5 cars you really like and go and test drive them. Put child seats in and take them out. Check out space and see if it fits what you want. Then after you are set on 1 or 2 let your research pick the winner.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
JustFiona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a little insight. I love the inside and power of my Subaru, do not like the outside. Not sporty enough for me. My youngest is 18, so backseat size isn't a huge factor. I want sporty luxury. We have a F350 crewcab truck if we need "space" for hauling people around. Snow, that is a factor. I live in Spokane Wa. We have had snow at my house since Dec. The roads are not always kept totally clear, especially in my neighborhood. I have always driven a front wheel drive with all season tires ( never really used snow tires) and never had a problem with the road conditions.

Maybe this is my midlife crisis. I love the G37X coupe Just trying to be a little practical. I don't want to make a uneducated decision that will lead to negative equity, my husband would kill me. (not literally lol)
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The G37 is sport luxury. Looks much better than any Subie (inside and outside) and has better amentities. It has as much power as you are used to. The Altima is a very good car, no doubt. It's a little on the bland side to appeal to the masses. The G has more style. Rear seat in the coupe is very limited for full sized adults, decent in the sedan. It's not a supercar, it's not a boy racer like an STI, but it is very livable IMO. I've had mine since late 07 and still love it as much or more than I did then.

I can't speak to the AWD system, X models are rare here in Texas where we don't deal with snow. But there's plenty of threads discussing the AWD and I'm not aware of any big complaints with it. If you wait a few more months you could get the all new Q50x.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The X does quite well in the snow. With a good set of tires, you'll be able to tackle anything you would have in the Subi. Also, there's a big thread on people's average MPG I'd suggest taking a look at for answers. Personally, I get around 20 with a 60/40 city/highway mix. As BB said, just search around, everything you've stated you wanted to know more about has been answered before. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah, mine was a midlife crisis...#3. #1 was a sport bike and #2 was quitting my career of 25 years to go back to graduate school and become a PA. Finished school, got a great job and decided to retire the Honda Accord I have been driving for the last 10 years.

I can't compare my G37X to your Subaru but it is a huge step up from the Accord I owned...and liked a lot.

We do get some snow down here in Tennessee and the Accord handled fair in it with all season tires on it. It did get a little wiggly from time to time as our "snow" down here is a mix of slush, snow and ice... nothing like I used to drive in when I lived in Rhode Island.

Anyway, the G37X handled itself remarkably well the last two times we had snow here. No problems at all for me. Dry weahter driving is fun...very fun. The car rides great and is comfortable. I like everything about it.... well, except the increased cost of gas.
Most of my driving has been around town (70/30) and I have been getting 18 to 19mpg.

David