Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New 2011 G37 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnInNH
Your post got me to register here...

I too just got a gray 2011 G37 IPL AT with only 9500 miles. love the car.. but the seat, it's to narrow, and digs into my hip bones, and ribs. Seems others have this issue.. maybe a different year or aftermarket seat for the driver side?

I was also a little disappointed in the MPG. I usually get the high end of the reported MPG, not with the IPL, lucky to get 19. with my absolute best mpg driving i can milk 23.4 indicated. Will figure out the real mpg on the next few fill ups. I keep a fuel n repair/upkeep log book.

Sat Nav can not figure out where I live, yet my phone and stand alone GPS can.. an update maybe?

Besides those things its a very nice automobile. It's not a car. I have had my eye on the G37, corvette, and M3 for 1.5 years. I found the IPL for a stupid low price.. can try it on for size for a summer and may sell/get the same $ for it. No huge loss.

I missed a M3 I wanted by four hrs.. but felt it was for the better as the cost of ownership is so much less with the bullet proof G

This is the finest automobile I have ever owned. (or so I hope)

It handles well. Is plenty fast stock to get into serious trouble unlike a Miata or most 2-3 liter sedans.

I do need to get tires shortly.. Ouch!

With a few tweeks this may be a keeper. My AWD Impreza 2.2 L got at best 25 mpg so for a heavy 345 hp car this may not be all that bad. I may trade it at the end of the summer if I cannot resolve the seat width problem... cutting the wings off may work but not sure I want to devalue the car.. So am leaning aftermarket race seat.

love the sound, looks, feel, and power. At HALF the sticker price how could I pass it up?

Congrats and welcome John

The G37 IPL is not the car to buy if you're concerned with MPG. The other cars you mentioned are even worse. Those you mentioned you'll want to occasionally drive hard. Your MPG will plummet rather quickly. My brother in law has a new M3 and averages 16mpg's. Typically, M3 owners and corvette owners like to drive rather spirited. Why own a high performance car and putt around? The cost of ownership is nearly double that of a G.

Can't help with the Nav... Maybe an update will help

I'll agree the seat is somewhat narrow... But I like it. Have you adjusted the bolsters to accommodate your wide ****? An aftermarket "race seat" will be even more narrow in most cases. Those race seats aren't very comfortable for daily use, they're made stiff and the bolsters are even more unforgiving.

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 03-16-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 AM
JohnInNH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a couple of motorcycles, so today took a lady friend out for a 1 hr drive to kill an hr befor going out for dinner. I took one of my favorite routes following rivers in VT ... with a 50 MPH unless otherwise posted, so clipping along at 65 is not as horrid as it woud be for similar roads that MA posts at 35_40 and NH at 40-45.

Secondary roads kept my speed under 70 with most in the 45-60 range. My getting used to driving it has increased my confidence a lot so am hitting corners harder. Enjoying the car more n more as I put miles on her. the computer mpg is now up to 23.7 with 350 miles on the tank with an indicated 3/4 used. Most of my gas gauges the bottom goes fast so may be at 20 or less MPG. Will fill up tomorrow as i plan a drive on more favorite roads.

Living on top of a big hill and it having a lot of big hills on the highway here in Southern VT/NH the G, being so heavy, will suffer. I bet on the flat on a long full day trip it will turn 25 or so MPG.

I don't get how people feel the IPL is to stiff! The roads are bumpy this time of year as the ground is thawing. the IPL handled the back roads well. highway expansion joints make that tic-tack noise but it's not "spine jarring" as some reviews have reported.. I like a firm European suspension, not a soft boat cush mobile....

I'm still not pushing it as am afraid being so heavy once it starts to slide in a corner I'm toast with no recovery like in my Miata, which was very forgiving to driver error. I don't see me getting the G on the edge and sliding in the corners any time soon, if ever, (on purpose anyway.) I may do the exit ramp thing where you take it a few MPH faster each time till you hear the tires start to talk to you, or feel it start to slide...All tires are different, some talk while others just let go with little margine in between grip n none.

My radar detector saved me today... 50 feels like 35 after going 70+.. flashed and pointed ahead so I dropped from 60 to 40 as the State Trooper came around the corner in a 40 zone... Had I been in a vette I know I would have got the eye... but feel the G is a sleeper over the 370 Z, the gray helps too. A black Z is more noticed than our Infinity gray Dentist/lawyer cars are.. (IMHO) Has some of a Maxima look. The sedan woud have been more of a sleeper even and 250 lbs lighter too.

I noticed the golf bag instruction sticker on my trunk lid and LOL talk about stereo type profiling lol.. the sales person got a real kick out of it he had never seen a sticker like that either.

I absoutly love the sound. The two reviews I read both said the exhaust note was a bothersome drone on the highway. I feel that it is not loud or bothersome, just has a nice sound to it. At least I can hear the motor this way. They should try driving my Cummins turbo diesel if they want to hear a bothersome drone.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited by JohnInNH; 03-18-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 AM
chris5o4

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FerrerG37
Will do man, where are you located? I'm in MD.
Located in New Orleans haha
Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 PM
FerrerG37

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=JohnInNH;3601640]Your post got me to register here...

I too just got a gray 2011 G37 IPL AT with only 9500 miles. love the car.. but the seat, it's to narrow, and digs into my hip bones, and ribs. Seems others have this issue.. maybe a different year or aftermarket seat for the driver side?

I have not had an issue with the lumbar support, have you tried adjusting the electronic setting on the seat? I imagined you have, but use the search bar to see if other members on the forum has figured out a solution to the issue.

I was also a little disappointed in the MPG. I usually get the high end of the reported MPG, not with the IPL, lucky to get 19. with my absolute best mpg driving i can milk 23.4 indicated. Will figure out the real mpg on the next few fill ups. I keep a fuel n repair/upkeep log book.

Yea I average around 21 MPG but again it is really hard to drive this car conservatively, the engine loves to rev . I'm sure if you don't drive faster than 65 MPH on the highway and shift around 2500-3000 rpm, you can achieve around 26-27 mpg. As for the log, the car navigation system has an option where you can log and keep track of your MPG.

Sat Nav can not figure out where I live, yet my phone and stand alone GPS can.. an update maybe?

Yes the navigation maps are outdated, the link below you can purchase the newest maps discs for $249.
G Coupe - 2011 - Infiniti Navigation System X9 DVD Year 2012 -

Congrats on the new car, enjoy it . And i do agree its a luxury sport coupe with 345 hp and weights almost 4000 pounds so i think 21-25 mpg sounds about right. I was also looking at an S4 and 335i but went with the IPL due to how reliable and its low maintenance.

PLUS the stock exhaust sounds awesome .
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How was your experience in dealing with CarMax? I've been seeing some C63 AMGs on there and just a little hesitant to get a high performance vehicle with such a limited warranty.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
FerrerG37

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
How was your experience in dealing with CarMax? I've been seeing some C63 AMGs on there and just a little hesitant to get a high performance vehicle with such a limited warranty.
It was painless since you don't have to haggle the salesman and if you know what you want you can get out the door with a loan and plates in about 2 hours. I've had the car for about 2 months and have not had any issues. I would recommend Carmax they inspect their cars well and my IPL looked brand new no issues at all. If there is something that concerns you they will have their service center take a look at it and resolve the issue.