Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Former Infiniti owner coming back...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Sarcastik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Former Infiniti owner coming back... (BAY AREA)

I owned a 1996 J30 back in the day which I loved, but then I ended up selling it and didn't own a car for a while (owned a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636 instead) then I purchased a 2005 Mustang which I still love, but being that I'm 31 I think its time for something a little more "luxury" and adult.

I wanted something Japanese and reliable and good looking. I was deciding between the IS250 and G37, but the G beat it just on being a newer more modern looking car. My only problem is my wife already has one. I think its going to be a little weird only owning two cars and they are both G37s, but at the end of the day its what I want so I'm not going to let that hold me back.

I came to this forum because I HATE stock cars (with a passion) and I really need a lot help figuring out where I want to take this BEFORE I purchase the car because that will help determine which color and options I will be looking for. I want something that turns heads and stands out as much as my Mustang.

Also if anyone here has 22s on there car or a custom HU please let me know because I would like to know your experiences with these to not often done modifications.

Also, I am currently living in san leandro, ca and I was curious if there were any car clubs or meet up or whatever in my area, or just even individuals who take pride in their car. I am going to need all the resources I can get when I finally start putting this thing together so It would help to know/meet the right folks nearby...

Attached are some pics of my old infiniti my current car, and my wife's car....
Attached Thumbnails Former Infiniti owner coming back...-rj8i0cauvodagcqq2nnqvkdxwbq1.jpg   Former Infiniti owner coming back...-dmkohyw7pderotkvgwhg2xw2x4yb.jpg   Former Infiniti owner coming back...-dsc01105s.jpg   Former Infiniti owner coming back...-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Sarcastik; 07-17-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: adding location
Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't see the problem with 2 G's. I have a black 08 coupe and my wife has a Black 09 Sedan.

Lots of threads where you can see various mods, take plenty of time and browse the G photo forums. Also, you'll get absolutely no love for putting 22's on a G. Just letting you know that is NOT a popular mod around here. It will turn heads alright, but probably not in the way that you want.

Best of luck.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
GenomeTuning
Former Sponsor

22"s... talk about heavy. probably will lift your car too. you can get a smaller size and lower it and it will look like 22s?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Sarcastik

The more I think about it I am seriously considering 20s. Let the record state it has nothing to do with speed though. I like my cars slow, good looking and reliable. If they made the G25 in a coupe then that would be the car I would get no question. I'm looking to spend 25k on this car (before mods) and I would rather get an 09 G25 coupe (if such a thing existed) with lower miles than pay the same price for a faster G37 with higher milage. I never go over 80 mph anyway and I'm not into speed unless I'm on my Ninja.

Anyhoo, the reason I am considering 20s is because I'm scared about running tires that thin and potholes and stuff. My 20s now feel like such a rough ride, but the 22s look soooo good. I swear the only reason I even wanted 22s is because of this site. I ran accross this pic someone posted and feel in love with the look:

Plus with rims that big you don't have to lower it because the well is already filled. I'm scared to lower it because bags are unreliable and keeping you car low all the time makes speedbumps and driveways a nightmare. Alas, I still don't know what I want and this car will likely be purchased at the end of July. I like the white with chrome lip, but am also considering gold/bronze with chrome lip or black with gold/chrome lip. Decisions, decisions, anyway I'm glad to be on this site now so hopefully I can find someone with a really nice G and completely copy their car...lol. (please forgive me ahead of time...lol)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Why do you hate stock cars (with a passion)?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
no love for the 22s.....LINK
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Sarcastik

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Why do you hate stock cars (with a passion)?
Its just a condition I have. I always tease my wife because she spent 43k on 2008 G37S and just drove it stock. To me thats a lot of money to spend on a car that looks like every other car on the road. When you drive a common car like a G I think tasteful improvements make the car stand out in a sea of of infinitis best (and some would say only) selling product. Let's face it we all love Infiniti, but the G is their bread and butter. The M just doesn't look as good and considering that it costs more (and thats a problem) and the rest of their "cars" are trucks...lol.

Originally Posted by Mike24
no love for the 22s.....LINK
Yah I saw this. I figured it was '08 and people we're ready for it yet...lol. In '08 even MORE people didn't agree with 20s on a G so I figured it would have died down by now...guess not.

Thanks for being so welcoming everyone. I am really loving this site. I have been going into the G37 picture threads and downloading the pics of everyone car that I like trying to decide which color and wheel combination I'm going to go with. Wish me luck! Glad to be here!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by Sarcastik
Its just a condition I have. I always tease my wife because she spent 43k on 2008 G37S and just drove it stock. To me thats a lot of money to spend on a car that looks like every other car on the road. When you drive a common car like a G I think tasteful improvements make the car stand out in a sea of of infinitis best (and some would say only) selling product.
I gotcha...

I just thought it was kind of ironic that you want to modify your car so it stands out over an OEM-looking G, yet you go on to say that you are going to "completely copy" someone else's car...

Originally Posted by Sarcastik
I'm glad to be on this site now so hopefully I can find someone with a really nice G and completely copy their car...lol. (please forgive me ahead of time...lol)
Just my $.02., but my advice would be to look around. Of course, other cars are going to influence your decisions in regards to how you modify your car. That is what forums do. It happens all the time here with different modifications. People see someone else's ride and then they decide to take that direction with their own. I think in the end, you should do what you like. You are the one who will be driving it. You are the one who has to look at it every day. If strangers on the internet don't approve of the modification decisions you've made in regards to your car, are you really going to lose sleep? Everyone has opinions, but when it comes to your car, yours should be the only one that matters.

If you want to put 22" wheels on your ride, more power to you... I guess.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Sarcastik

I completely agree. My index fingers hurt from scrolling the pic threads. I finished the sedan pic thread and I'm on page 24 of 74 of the the coupe thread. I don't mind "stealing" someone else car (as ironic as that sounds) because at least I know there will be hundreds of people with a "similar car" insteads 10s of thousands of people with an identical one. My wife has a Blue G37s now and we see at least 1 blue 1 everytime we're out. I'm sure that # would triple if it was a stock black coupe.

In the end it is my decision, but I like to see whats out there because sometimes an idea in my ahead won't translate on the car as well. I've seen tons of cars where I can see what look the person was attempting to do with their car, but in execution it didn't look so hot so its nice to see someone who did the same thing already so you can really decide if you like it or not...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you want to put 22" wheels on your ride, more power to you... I guess.
I am thoroughly disappointed with you for encouraging such behavior. You. Of all people. I hereby rescind my nomination of Bill for President 2012. Now look what you've made me do! I hope you're happy now.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Just to let you know, I and many others will ask for a perma ban if you decide to disgrace the G with 22 inch wheels. I see you are doing your research so that's good to know. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I am thoroughly disappointed with you for encouraging such behavior. You. Of all people. I hereby rescind my nomination of Bill for President 2012. Now look what you've made me do! I hope you're happy now.
... Come on, man. Did you happen to notice the italicized "I guess" and sarcastic emoticon at the end of that statement? You know I am far from a supporter of 22" wheels on a G37, but as long as people don't use knock-off and replica parts (or support companies that make money off those hack companies), I encourage them to modify their car however they want.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
You know I am far from a supporter of 22" wheels on a G37, but as long as people don't use knock-off and replica parts (or support companies that make money off those hack companies), I encourage them to modify their car however they want.

I disagree dude. Just to be clear, I am not a fan of replica parts but I would much rather someone use them before making the G look like a monster truck with 22 inch wheels. Now, if someone were to buy 22 inch knockoffs and throw them on a G then I think our collective heads would explode.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
I disagree dude. Just to be clear, I am not a fan of replica parts but I would much rather someone use them before making the G look like a monster truck with 22 inch wheels. Now, if someone were to buy 22 inch knockoffs and throw them on a G then I think our collective heads would explode.
My main issue with replicas and knock-offs is not how they look. (Most people wouldn't be able to tell they're looking at a fake. At least with aero...) My problem with those parts is how buying them affects the industry. A conversation for another thread...

Believe me, I do NOT want to see a G on 22" wheels. I do not approve. But if this guy wants to put them on his car, he should be able to. It's his choice. It's not my car. I'm not paying the bill. My basic point was that I would rather see someone making his car his own than see someone supporting a company that has stolen a design.

Another G on 22" wheels: JDMphasis: Dub Deuces?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Sarcastik

What about 21 inch rims? I heard somewhere that they are pain because they are less common so tires cost more or something, but if you guys give me your permission then it might be an acceptable compromise? *crossing fingers*

Quick Reply: Former Infiniti owner coming back...