Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Thoughts and Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM
SamC961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts and Concerns

Whats good fellas,

Just a little bit of my situation. I have a 09 Subaru STi fully built with a GT35r. Thing is a beast. Just recently the motor went out due to oil starvation, so as a result a rod went out. I have a friend with an 08 G37 wanting to trade. I know nothing about Infinitis... It is a 2008 G37 fuly equiped with everything from the dealership. It also has a Stillen supercharger kit, that been on the car for about a year. I think he said it's around 7psi right now. It has a salvage title, which kind of sucks, but the car looks like nothing every happened. It's a sick ride no doubt.

I just had some questions about the G. How reliable is it with the supercharger kit? He has parts to return it to stock, but I would like to keep the supercharger. It also has a Greddy true dual exhaust with some TSW wheels. He also wants to add some Axis Wheels that are 20x10 all the way around. Would those fit the car without any problem? And I just want to know alittle more about the car with a supercharger... should I keep it on there or take it off? Just some opinions would really help.. thanks fellas. This will also be my first RWD car so I want to drift a little but any insight on that would be greatly appreciated as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You will definitely miss the raw-ness of the Suby when moving to a G37. Search for Stillen Supercharger there's a ton to read about it
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
SamC961

I've done. Couple of searches. Not exacltly what I'm looking for. I'll keep searching though.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
It is not that Sam means to put you off or not answer your question... there is simply so much to consider when considering the Stillen Supercharger specifically... if it were an easy answer, everyone would chime in and give it to you but the Stillen has had a long line of interesting issues associated with it... most of which have been able to be corrected with a custom tune so I would start by finding out where it was tuned and how. He has been running with it on for a year so there maybe can be some good signs in that but again finding out more specifics of his kit is a must. Running at 7 PSI gives you insite to where it was tuned at, but find out what it is putting down and what the maintenance has been on it.

Researching is really going to help you come to a better conclusion though and lots of reading should be completed before making this decision. Here are a few threads to start but do not let any stand out warnings turn you off completely, the people who have had issues are usually the loudest so keep that in mind. There are plenty of people running this kit with little to no issues currently.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...e-fi-ship.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ercharger.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...questions.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...rn-key-sc.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...m-install.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ouncement.html

Some of the info is dated but it still is an idea... Forum member dal1307 currently has it and has for a while with success... PMing him might help and if Weiboy718 feels up to going through his experience for the 1000th time, he would be a good person to listen to as well.

Please search more than just this and good luck with your decisions and I hope it all works out for you... unfortunately if this were a different S/C kit (GTMs) you would prolly just hear a lot of "yes, buy it" it is not as clear cut with Stillen but it still can be a good kit.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ what you just said is 100% spot on. No need for me to troll around here .
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Nnn7

Chi-city, what wheels are those on that coupe in the photo?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM
SamC961

Thanks for the insight. I ended up doing to trade. I want to make it back to stock though. Is there any post out there with a list of parts I need in order to make it stock again from the stillen supercharger? I have a stock manifold, and intakes. Anything else?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Weiboy718

Here's a few things I remember.

Uprev cable to flash your car back to stock
Coolant overflow tank (you will need to make new tabs since the 2 10mm bolt holes been cut off)
Injectors
Intakes
Rewire your MAF sensor harness
New belt
There's also a pulley you'll need but I forgot which one.

Ill update you more if I can remember.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
LakeShow

Welcome. G and Subi two different animals.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 AM
GRG37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome, why not rebuilt the motor on the sti, unless you had a built up motor already, witch i know that costs some money.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 PM
SamC961

I did already have a built motor lol. I had over 14k worth of money in there. I just cannot keep up wi it. I have an 08 g now. It suits me a lot better. Personality wise. I have a stillen SC on there along WiH an oil cooler. My main concern right now is returning it back to NA. I don't want any forced induction again. I want it back to stock with full bolt ons. I plan on going to the dealership today to get a list of parts I need to get the SC off.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by SamC961
I did already have a built motor lol. I had over 14k worth of money in there. I just cannot keep up wi it. I have an 08 g now. It suits me a lot better. Personality wise. I have a stillen SC on there along WiH an oil cooler. My main concern right now is returning it back to NA. I don't want any forced induction again. I want it back to stock with full bolt ons. I plan on going to the dealership today to get a list of parts I need to get the SC off.
first thing first is you need to ask your friend to give you the Stillen S/C's installation manual. that will tell you what's been installed on your car and what you might need.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 PM
hotdawwgman
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So I can better understand, why do you want to get rid of the SC Sam?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
GRG37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SamC961

Dude that sucks been down that path, got rid off my sti and now drive g37 supercharged with no problems.