Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

'09 G37 coupe owner - I got questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 PM
G37fantasma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 G37 coupe owner - I got questions

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site, I currently drive a 2009 G37 coupe that has not been modified at all since it was purchased. I've been surfing around and looking for threads that might answer my questions but I haven't been able to find them.

*disclaimer* I'm a total newb when it comes to cars. I love my g37 and I want to improve it but I'm not exactly sure where to start.

Mileage: ~30k miles

Car history: I purchased this car brand new, and the only maintenance that has been done on it has been oil changes from the dealer (with the maintenance plan, so probably cheap oil).

- I need new tires: Dealer or elsewhere?

- Infiniti recommends a 30k tune up, there's one that runs at 259.99 and another one that is a lot pricier than that. How necessary are these, should I be doing these at my dealer or are there better options?

- Modding: I haven't even tinted my windows. Frankly I don't know where to start. I am more interested in aesthetics than performance at this point in time. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:13 PM
In xS

I saw a sign at my local Infiniti dealer saying that their tires are competatively priced, so I would at least compare their price when shopping.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For new tires, you could hit up Neal@Tirerack on the forums -- he's the tirerack.com rep around these parts. I've purchased tires from tirerack in the past and had a good experience with them, as well as the tires. Do you know what kind of tires you'll be looking to put on your car? All-season, summer, winter, etc? There are a few threads on here about different tire setups people are looking into. Also, when you get a better idea of what kind of tires you'll be looking to run, call up your dealer and ask about prices of some specific brands you're interested in and see how they measure up.

As for where to start on mods, depends on what you're looking to accomplish. Some people prefer to start with performance mods (engine intake, change out their gears, upgrade their clutch if they've got a manual trans., etc.) while others might like to start with suspension / handling mods (lowering the car, sway bars, suspension-stiffening mods like a strut-tower bar, etc.) Finally, there's the aesthetic portion of modding (body kits, cat-back exhaust, rims, tints, etc.) I'd guess you fall into the last category, in which case you've got a lot of options. Pick something to start with and then do some research and see what's out there. As you've got questions, search around the forums, as there's tons of helpful information that's already been posted. If you still can't find an answer to your questions, feel free to ask. In my short experience here, people on here are generally very helpful and knowledgeable, so ask away.

My personal modding experience started with a paddle shifter install on my 7AT X Coupe, followed up by illuminated kickplates and a swaybar upgrade. All of the above weren't terribly expensive and the swaybars especially have made a significant impact of the handling of my G. I'd highly recommend it. If you drive an automatic, the paddles can also be fun and are not terribly difficult to install if you're pretty handy.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful and welcome to the forums!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:03 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
tires: tirerack or discount tire direct

modding: start with tints and a drop
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
G37fantasma

Thanks for the responses.

I'll be doing some more research, the sway bar sounds like something I'd like to get pretty soon. I think the order of importance for me when it comes to modding is aesthetics/handling then performance.

So I'll probably be getting new tires, tints, and the sway bar in the near future. I live in North Carolina so I don't have to deal with ice/snow too much, but last year I do remember my car being pretty useless on a small amount of ice/snow.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
post pics!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
100% elsewhere for tires! welcome to the forums!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM
ohsogood

Originally Posted by G37fantasma

- Infiniti recommends a 30k tune up, there's one that runs at 259.99 and another one that is a lot pricier than that. How necessary are these, should I be doing these at my dealer or are there better options?
I believe my dealership didn't charge me for the full 30k service. I believe it's around $259 if everything on the list needs to be replaced. Honestly, I forgot what was changed out but I believe I only spent 30-50 bucks for a few things, not including the oil change.

Some of the other members on this forum skipped going to the dealer and just went to an auto body shop to get it done.

If your dealer is looking to charge you for the full $259, you might want to look elsewhere.
My 2 cents.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM
ohsogood

Also regarding tires, I'm sure you can find good deals online but might need to pay shipping for it.
I got my tires when the dealership had the buy 3, get 1 free deal so try to find something like that.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
davv1215

Like _ant_ said, tints and drop. That's pretty standard stuff. Not too expensive and makes your car look so much better. I've never done sways, but I think I want to add that to my list (the rear of my car feels a bit mushy around hard turns).
Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by ohsogood
Also regarding tires, I'm sure you can find good deals online but might need to pay shipping for it.
I got my tires when the dealership had the buy 3, get 1 free deal so try to find something like that.
even with THOSE deals, its STILL cheaper ot order online for rubber. most companies will throw in shipping since they get it for dirt cheap w/ all the shipments they do and are under contract.

I order my tires from a reputable dealer I actually found on ebay. They're an actual distributor out of FL. All their shipping is FREE
Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 PM
G37fantasma

Thanks guys! Awesome stuff.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:00 PM
G37fantasma

Regarding dropping my car, does scraping the bottom become a common problem or is it pretty easy to avoid if you're a good driver.