Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

How do YOU downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 AM
lzzhang10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do YOU downshift?

This is for the 6MT owners out there.

G37 is my first manual car, over the months, I learned how to drive manual and gotten pretty smooth at it(upshifting mostly). One of the problem I have is downshifting swiftly.

What is your sequence when you downshift? here is what I do.
1. clutch+shift down in 1 movement
2. blip the throttle(usually spikes up by 1000+rpm)
3. wait for the rpm to drop down to the appropriate speed(obviously still at a higher point before downshifting), let go of clutch smoothly.

Although this is not slow(1-2 seconds), what do you speedshifter out there do to achieve <1 sec downshifts and still remain smooth?

Last edited by lzzhang10; 01-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
DmfG37sTT

Originally Posted by lzzhang10

G37 is my first manual car, over the months, I learned how to drive manual and gotten pretty smooth at it(upshifting mostly). One of the problem I have is downshifting swiftly.

2. blitz the throttle(usually spikes up by 1000+rpm)
3. wait for the rpm to drop down to the appropriate speed(obviously still at a higher point before downshifting), let go of clutch smoothly.

Although this is not slow(1-2 seconds), what do you speedshifter out there do to achieve <1 sec downshifts and still remain smooth?
Do you really need to downshift in less than a second on the street? Im not even sure you can speedshift and get it as smooth as I think your talking about. rev-matching is pretty much the only way I can think of for getting as smooth as downshift as possible. Obviously the better you are at it the smoother it will become. But as far as racing or tracking the car smooth really isnt in the picture
Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
lzzhang10

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Do you really need to downshift in less than a second on the street? Im not even sure you can speedshift and get it as smooth as I think your talking about. rev-matching is pretty much the only way I can think of for getting as smooth as downshift as possible. Obviously the better you are at it the smoother it will become. But as far as racing or tracking the car smooth really isnt in the picture
I am not trying to race the car.
Just trying to see if anyone has tips on shifting faster, at least similar to the automatics(possible?) haha .
Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
DmfG37sTT

I am not trying to race the car.
Just trying to see if anyone has tips on shifting faster, at least similar to the automatics(possible?) haha .
The faster you shift the more wear and tear your going to cause on the transmission. Rev-matching is the best way and it just takes time to get fast at it. Dont cause yourself to go to fast to cause the gears to grind and to miss gears.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rev matching is the only way without prematurely wearing out the car. The more you practice the quicker it will be but its never a race. Try to get it done within the required time and not have the passenger look like a bobble head.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
lzzhang10

Originally Posted by Tainui
Rev matching is the only way without prematurely wearing out the car. The more you practice the quicker it will be but its never a race. Try to get it done within the required time and not have the passenger look like a bobble head.
haha this is how i measure the smoothness of my driving
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. blitz the throttle(usually spikes up by 1000+rpm)

As you get better, you will be able to: clutch-in/shift/blip throttle/engage clutch in almost one fluid motion. If you're waiting for the RPM to drop down before you release the clutch, then you blipped the throttle too hard. If you're really good, you can blip the throttle and engage the clutch as the RPM is just about finished rising. This takes some practice, but it's awesome when you get the hang of it.

And keep in mind that rev-matching like that will actually preserve the life of your clutch and sychronizers because you're really pretty much taking them out of the equation when you down shift like that.

Last edited by MSCA; 01-14-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:07 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You have to remember what rpm each gear would be in that mph range, so you can blip the throttle perfectly and let go of the clutch sooner. Just got to learn the car.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
You have to remember what rpm each gear would be in that mph range, so you can blip the throttle perfectly and let go of the clutch sooner. Just got to learn the car.
Right, but once you get really good at it, you can do it by feel/sound alone. I don't even look at my speedometer or tachometer when I down shift.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The way you're doing it is called single clutching. A even better way to do it is to double clutch to reduce any possible wear on your synchros.

I usually do this in about a second:

-clutch in
-shift to neutral
-clutch out
-blip around 2k rpm (this really depends on gear, the lower the gear the higher you need to blip) <-- called the rev match
- clutch in
-shift to the lower gear and clutch out

A smooth shift depends on whether you can get the engine and transmission to be at the same speed during shifting.

Reason why double clutching is better is because when you blip while in neutral, the engine and transmission are still connected and it helps to match both of their speeds before you downshift. Single clutching on the other hand relies more on the clutch to match the speeds and produces some wear and tear to your clutch if you blip it wrong or you will produce wear on your synchros if you try to force it into gear too fast.

Last edited by Ken; 01-13-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
lzzhang10

Originally Posted by Ken
The way you're doing it is called single clutching. A even better way to do it is to double clutch to reduce any possible wear on your synchros.

I usually do this in about a little over a second:

-clutch in
-shift to neutral
-clutch out
-blip around 2k rpm (this really depends on gear, the lower the gear the higher you need to blip) <-- called the rev match
- clutch in
-shift to the lower gear

Reason why double clutching is better is because when you blip while in neutral, the engine and transmission are still connected and it helps to match both of their speeds before you downshift. Single clutching on the other hand relies more on the clutch to match the speeds and produces some wear and tear to your clutch if you blip it wrong or produce wear on your synchros if you try to force it into gear too fast.
Not to discredit your method but I read somewhere double clutching is unnecessary for synchronized transmission
Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to discredit your method but I read somewhere double clutching is unnecessary for synchronized transmission

+1, you're right.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
carz

im shocked no one has said this yet.....

........i just pull on my left paddle =D
Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes it's synchronized but you're missing the point. It's to prevent wearing down your synchros over time. Synchros are known to fail due to wear and use and they are not cheap to fix. It's up to you.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Ken
Yes it's synchronized but you're missing the point. It's to prevent wearing down your synchros over time. Synchros are known to fail due to wear and use and they are not cheap to fix. It's up to you.
You have it mixed up. Double clutching is useful when UPSHIFTING to the next higher gear, if you have worn synchros or you want to avoid any wear on them.

When downshifting, double clutching isn't necessary at all because you are increasing the revs to match the faster speed (higher RPM) from the lower gear that you are shifting into. In other words, if you blip the throttle perfectly, you won't use the synchros at all because the shaft speeds inside the transmission will be equal.

Quick Reply: How do YOU downshift?