Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Help with changing lanes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
limegreen25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with changing lanes

Hi everyone

I am a new driver and I need the advice of expert drivers with merging onto highway and changing lanes.
I learned from a driving school that the proper steps for changing lanes are (1)check rearview and sideview mirror; (2) signal; (3) shoulder check; (4) carefully move into the intended lane.

But on a road with more than 3 lanes I need to check the traffic in 2 or 3 lanes over driving at the same speed as me to make sure nobody is coming into the same spot. I kept asking my driving instructor about this a couple of times but all he said was just do a shoulder check and I don't need worry too much about the traffic in 2 or 3 lanes over.

My question is am I supposed to check 2 or 3 lanes over after I check my sideview mirror or after I do a shoulder check?
And I can use the same technique when merging onto a freeway, aren't I?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
...just put your blinker on and look over your shoulder. with peripheral vision you should be able to see the entire road. If it looks like someone's too close then hit the gas and go in front of them

and please for the love of God don't be one of the people who slows down on highway on-ramps and wait for a spot to go...they are made so you can accelerate to highway speed and merge at speed
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 PM
LSUtigerME

The way you're doing it is correct. You should always be aware of traffic around you. If at all possible, you should not change lanes when someone is directly beside you. Wait until they fully pass, or you do and are clear their car. If I must change with someone two lanes over, I do my normal checking, signal early, and watch for their signals, movement, and for the driver to go through his checks. If you see him intending to get over, let him pass.

^ It is used for accelerating up to speed, not surpassing the freeway speed. You should never change position by more than 2 vehicles forward or backward.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So wait, you are a newbie driver and you get a G37??!!

Anyway, lane changing comes with experience. 5 years ago I thought I was good, then I went to and drove in NY. I had to le-learn everything. Now I own streets of Tokyo

Long story short, you have to be aware what goes around you, not just visually, you have to read the situation, and almost predict who is going where. Do not hesitate, and don't slow down for no reason. Better to accelerate out of trouble then to break.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 AM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

Also, make sure you do this - Adjust Your Car Mirrors to Fully Cover Your Blind Spots - Cars - Lifehacker

Remember when dealing with moving targets (like cars on the road) you need to adjust to where they will end up, not where they are. This requires developing traffic sense, which is basically predicting their speed, reactions of other drivers, what's going on in the corner of your eye, and learning to recognize the idiots who don't know how to drive.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by ExtraCrispy
^ I tried this after reading that article a while back and it really does make a big difference. It takes a little getting used to (because you can no longer see the sides/rear corners of your car) but it actually lets you see more of the lanes next to you, which is more important.

To the OP's OQ, I would say that you do need to be aware of what's over in those other lanes, but don't obsess on it. The basic procedure you described is correct. All I'd add is that you should be doing the mirror and shoulder checks more than once during that maneuver. Also, as soon as you have a view of the freeway from the onramp (or even before), try to gauge what cars are likely to be around you by the time you get to the merge point. It can be a little hairy at first but you'll get used to it soon enough. Good luck, drive safe!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more thing to add to the excellent advice of those above: even if your mirror and shoulder check give the impression that you can change more than one lane at one time, don't do that. Change one lane, then do your checks again, re-signal and change one lane again. I see these idiots that must think that swooping from the inside all the way over to the left lane is a sign of driving skill. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

My question is am I supposed to check 2 or 3 lanes over after I check my sideview mirror or after I do a shoulder check?
And I can use the same technique when merging onto a freeway, aren't I?

Thanks.[/quote]
Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 AM
ptaban

Merging is not a science. Its like asking "should I shift my weight to the left if I feel I'm falling to the right when riding a bike?" ... dude, just get out there and DRIVE. If it's any comfort, you can just keep your speed, close your eyes and merge. Let the other drivers decide how to react.