Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Will likely be trading my 2006 STI for a G37X...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To the OP, I have the WRX so my experience is close to your STI, and now I also have a G37S. The G is a much bigger car, but there is not much more room. The center console and the stylish dash board taken lots of room in front. Try placing a lunch box on the passenger floor, there is barely any room. Rear seat is slightly larger then the Subaru but knee room is tight. The sport seats are too tight and there is no till adjustments which is uncomfortable. Performance is good and the mpg is comparable to my 2 litter but the G is a faster car. The auto transmission is excellence moving forward, but slowing down is annoying with the jerky/surging 2 to 1 down shift. Frankly, I bought the G because it is a better deal then the BMW, but you get what you paid for. Learned from my lesson, buy right, cry once.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey, but you get rear headrests in the G =p

If the sport seats are too tight, then STI seats would have been WAY too tight; WRX seats are not the same.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 PM
CodeG

STI seats are not way too tight, better but not that much narrower than the WRX seats. Infact one of the main complaints about the STI's is about lack of seat bolster support. On the other hand, the G sport seats are designed for people with 27 inch waist line. Not only that Infinity cheap out on seat adjustments only make matter worst.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Mike

I fit snug into a G's seat with the bolsters adjusted. You do know you can adjust them right? 16 way adjustment is plenty for most people...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
CodeG

Originally Posted by Mike
I fit snug into a G's seat with the bolsters adjusted. You do know you can adjust them right? 16 way adjustment is plenty for most people...
I sure know how to adjust the G's seat. Fitting into the bottom bolster on the G sport seat is like squeezing in an undersized plastic seat; after 30 minutes it became a torture device. I even cut off the metal bars in the bolster and it helps. But lacking seat till fore and aft is pure stupid on Infinity's part (and stupid me for buying the damn car! ) 16 way adjustment sound great until you find out that the one you need is not there!
I just want people to know so they don't make the mistake I did.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Mike

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by till.

My big complaint was that the lumbar support is too high to suit my back; I would have liked a vertical adjustment for lumbar support.

Also, the bolsters are meant to (attempt) to restrict all lateral movement; they're not meant to be comfortable. If they're too tight, I'm sure there are MANY members here without the sport package that would love to have sport seats. I can think of quite a few who would happily trade.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:29 PM
CodeG

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by till.

My big complaint was that the lumbar support is too high to suit my back; I would have liked a vertical adjustment for lumbar support.

Also, the bolsters are meant to (attempt) to restrict all lateral movement; they're not meant to be comfortable. If they're too tight, I'm sure there are MANY members here without the sport package that would love to have sport seats. I can think of quite a few who would happily trade.
My bad spelling! Seat adjustment with tilting mean the whole seat can be slopped forward or backward angle. Honda, Huyndai, Toyota, Mitsubishi all have it on much lower priced car. If the G have it, you can rock the whole seat to an angle for a more comfortable setting. Sport seat does not have to be uncomfortable. The kicker is if Infinity have brain , it would not have cost them any more money to make better seats. Sensible cushion materials, simple adjustment where it counts goes a long way, knowing their customer helps too.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Mike

You CAN tilt the seat... the "front" of the bar will adjust tilt angle, while the "rear" will adjust height. Push either the front or the rear of the long bar down, or pull up. If you push/pull the middle, it won't do anything...
Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
CodeG

You CAN tilt the seat... the "front" of the bar will adjust tilt angle, while the "rear" will adjust height. Push either the front or the rear of the long bar down, or pull up. If you push/pull the middle, it won't do anything...
The G only have front cushion lift while the rear is stationary; high and low adjustment is not angle adjustment.
Mike, go seat in an Accord or Genesis and you will see what I mean.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Mike

So... you want the rear of the seat high and the front low?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roninsoldier83
I'm really interested to see how the ATESSA-ETS AWD works in the snow compared to the Subaru. Technically the last "motor sport" I've taken part in was ice racing up at Georgetown Lake with a couple of buddies of mine that were driving Jeeps (TJ Rubicon & a JK). Which, I've become a fan of, as it seemed to be very easy on the car, as I was pretty much in 1st gear the entire time on every configuration they setup, I never really went full throttle (useless on a frozen/ice lake haha), and since the wheels would spin, it seemed pretty easy on the drivetrain.

Either way, when ice racing, horsepower was not a factor at all, traction is the name of the game, and with a fairly stiff suspension, I think my traction was fairly limited, as the car wanted to slide rather than grip. Surprisingly, the biggest problem I had was understeer around pivot cones they had setup. It was actually pretty close running against my buddies in their Wranglers haha. One of which was switching back to 2WD quickly around the pivot cones in order to help get the rear end out, as unless you were working the e-brake, the vehicles would just push to oblivion.

Either way, it was a lot of fun! Something I definitely look forward to doing again next year, hopefully in a G37x. Since the G37x's AWD is RWD bias, I'm actually thinking it should be a little faster than the Subaru, as the courses they setup seemed to favor cars that could get the rear end out easily. I suppose we'll see next year.
I traded my 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B for my 2009 G37X. The subie had 18 inch rims with Nokian snows. It was better than the G in the snow. It had more clearance. I have Blizzaks on the G, but I think the Nokians were better snow tires.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
CodeG

So... you want the rear of the seat high and the front low?
You want the seat cushion to be flat, so you can seat straight up. Each person have different sitting preferences, but if the seat have tilt adjustment you can adjust it's angle until you are comfortable. Unfortunately with the G37, the rear cushion of the seat is fixed and not very supportive. Infinity failed at their decision using these seats. I am not the only one, many people complained or will not buy their car because of the seat. I certainty can not recommend my car to my friend or family.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Mike

I do agree, the car is not for everyone. The seating position is rather aggressive for an entry level luxury car, bu the G does err a bit far on the sporting side compared to the rest of the segment.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM
roninsoldier83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pip
I traded my 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B for my 2009 G37X. The subie had 18 inch rims with Nokian snows. It was better than the G in the snow. It had more clearance. I have Blizzaks on the G, but I think the Nokians were better snow tires.
Interesting to hear. How far apart were they in the snow? Was the LGT Spec B just more confidence inspiring, or was there really more grip/less slip? I guess I'll see this winter.