Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Need advice on the mods for my g37s coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on the mods for my g37s coupe

For last 10 years I have owned 17 cars namely Mercedeses SL500. I don't say to brag about it but I am confessing how stupid I was paying all this money for the inferior product. After a thorough test of a new G37s coupe I fell in love with the car and my fling with the Mercedes is OVER. I've owned it for 2 days now and I feel like a young boy, excited with my new toy- a feeling that I've lost for a decade or so. I've made a super deal with Coast Infiniti in Sarasota on a fully loaded sports version automatic[ sorry] coupe in Amethyst Silver. I am generally pleased with everything on the car but I would like to tweak it up a little as not to go to the extent of any major tuning. After examining hundreds of pictures and reading the testimonials I thought I would like to do the following: 1. Change the breather pipes with same length[ short] tuned version. 2. Change the mufflers with a high quality free blowing setup. 3. Change the FRONT only springs to lower the front about 1.5 inch without replacing any other suspension parts. 4. Change the brake pads so they grab more aggressively.5. Change the program[ chip] to get more horsepower. I don't intend to mess with the car and put it out of balance with the multitude of different parts and starting a domino effect with no end. Please advise on the above components and which of them work seamlessly with the factory setup and would not void the factory warranty on the car. Looking forward to getting your opinion, Greg.

Last edited by Greg Lecewicz; 01-29-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM
thunder1175

1. Any messing with the computer will void warrenty. Other mods you listed should not affect warranty.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Warranty issues

Originally Posted by thunder1175
1. Any messing with the computer will void warrenty. Other mods you listed should not affect warranty.
Thank you very much.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new toy!

I'd recommend getting the set of Eibachs springs to maintain the balance. If you're interested in only muffler upgrades and no a full cat-back exhaust, you may want to look into Tanabe Medallion Touring.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
G37HKS

Hey dude welcome to the forum..

Go to stillen website..STILLEN : Precision Performance Components for Your Car or Truck

You will find what u need
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
I don't intend to mess with the car and put it out of balance with the multitude of different parts and starting a domino effect with no end.
this post already started the domino effect ... congrats on the new car!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Tanabe looks and sounds super.

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Congrats on the new toy!

I'd recommend getting the set of Eibachs springs to maintain the balance. If you're interested in only muffler upgrades and no a full cat-back exhaust, you may want to look into Tanabe Medallion Touring.
Thank you. I did look it up. Looks like a great quality, double walled tip muffler. On top of that I will be able to listen to my favorite songs by Placido Domingo while street racing some overpriced MB crap. I also found out Tanabe makes some chassis braces which a lot of people so neglect but they make the car feeling " solid" and add some color to the undercarriage.

Last edited by Greg Lecewicz; 02-03-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Thank you. I did contemplate the Gen 3 intakes but after a few sleepless nights reading the blogs I am pretty sure they would not make any sense in my case rather than changing the sound a little. I am still researching but looks like I will like my stock boxes with the hi flow filters. If you are not into hi mods people say changing the intakes makes no significant difference. As soon as I will break my car in I will have the dyno test to create a base point to compare the changes to.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Congrats on the new toy!

Thank you again, great sound, I will go for this!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Thank you. Greetings from Sarasota.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 AM
ucla bruin

Np. I saw the Stillen Gen 3 came up, here's another choice, one that I decided to go with:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...-dyno-fun.html

I also have the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. Another crowd favorite for handling.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Greg Lecewicz

ucla bruin you almost made me go for gen 3 but answer this:

Np. I saw the Stillen Gen 3 came up, here's another choice, one that I decided to go with:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...-dyno-fun.html

I also have the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. Another crowd favorite for handling.
Ok, I've read it, watched the video, examined the dyno printout a few days ago, looks great too. I think I like the black finish better than chrome. It looks like it is a solid product with a good close-to-the factory fit. And this is what I'm looking for.
QUESTION OF PRACTICALITY: How do you get to the air filters? Do you have to remove the bumper every time you want to clean the filters or can you get to them from the top to replace? If not maybe we can talk K&N to redesign the filters and maybe somebody would make a quick release top cover?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Getting into the mods on my g37 coupe.

Originally Posted by terrycs
this post already started the domino effect ... congrats on the new car!
It is absolutely fantastic people like this car so much. I think there are some different approaches to the treatment of the car. We are all fascinated with the products available but looks like some people would go with any product there is, overload the car neglecting some vital aspects affecting either the performance or the looks. It is fine with me because those guys are pioneers of progress and they do the experimental work for the rest of us and suffer the problems associated with the actions. Very few I think would achieve 100% satisfaction without worrying about the various components to be up to date with the rest of the beefed up stuff. This is what I call a domino effect. I am skeptical and not too quick to stick this double turbo inside my baby. I love a challenge of taking a really good factory product and improve its performance or the looks. I think we should periodically look at the proven tuning products and summarize the benefits of those products installed on your car as a package. This way we will come up with certain levels of tuning. We will define the packages of products giving us exact gains over the factory specs. We will outline the benefits of each package and describe the dangers and problems associated with the change. I suggest natural 3 step system: Basic, Advance and Racing mods. Once we define the tuning categories we will work within each category to refine it and push the envelope even farther, improving the horsepower, the durability and a functionality of the components. I am so curious to get some response on this subject. I hope I did formulate myself correctly, peace, Greg
Old 02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is absolutely fantastic people like this car so much. I think there are some different approaches to the treatment of the car. We are all fascinated with the products available but looks like some people would go with any product there is, overload the car neglecting some vital aspects affecting either the performance or the looks. It is fine with me because those guys are pioneers of progress and they do the experimental work for the rest of us and suffer the problems associated with the actions. Very few I think would achieve 100% satisfaction without worrying about the various components to be up to date with the rest of the beefed up stuff. This is what I call a domino effect. I am skeptical and not too quick to stick this double turbo inside my baby. I love a challenge of taking a really good factory product and improve its performance or the looks. I think we should periodically look at the proven tuning products and summarize the benefits of those products installed on your car as a package. This way we will come up with certain levels of tuning. We will define the packages of products giving us exact gains over the factory specs. We will outline the benefits of each package and describe the dangers and problems associated with the change. I suggest natural 3 step system: Basic, Advance and Racing mods. Once we define the tuning categories we will work within each category to refine it and push the envelope even farther, improving the horsepower, the durability and a functionality of the components. I am so curious to get some response on this subject. I hope I did formulate myself correctly, peace, Greg
Have you searched at all? There are people who have gobs of dyno sheets for exactly what you just said. Some people who did just intakes, then some people who did intakes and exhaust, then some people who did intake exhaust and hfc's or tp's, then some people who did headers, intakes, exhaust and hfc's or tp's. Then on top of that a bunch of people with twin turbo's..

Within all of these threads they spoke about the tuning, problems, benefits etc..

Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
ucla bruin

Ok, I've read it, watched the video, examined the dyno printout a few days ago, looks great too. I think I like the black finish better than chrome. It looks like it is a solid product with a good close-to-the factory fit. And this is what I'm looking for.
QUESTION OF PRACTICALITY: How do you get to the air filters? Do you have to remove the bumper every time you want to clean the filters or can you get to them from the top to replace? If not maybe we can talk K&N to redesign the filters and maybe somebody would make a quick release top cover?
You are right. You'd would have to either gain access from removing the bumper or from the bottom of the car. If you do your own oil change and/or can jack up the car, the bottom may be an easier choice. I've removed my bumper plenty of times and it's actually not as daunting as people think. Besides, how often are you going to clean your filters anyway

Quick Reply: Need advice on the mods for my g37s coupe