Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Emergency Key/Fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 AM
shoeyg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Key/Fob

One thing I had with BMW was a spare plastic key I could store in my wallet God forbid I lost my other key. My question is does Infiniti make something similar for their cars? I am screwed if I lose the faub. I know they give an extra but was just curious as to what can be done in an emergency situation. Can you call the roadside assistance number and set up special permissions?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 AM
shoeyg37s

Emergency Key/Fob

New owner of 08 G37S - Nice 19's Love it!

One thing I had with BMW was a spare plastic key I could store in my wallet God forbid I lost my other key. My question is does Infiniti make something similar for their cars? I am screwed if I lose the fob. I know they give an extra but was just curious as to what can be done in an emergency situation. Can you call the roadside assistance number and set up special permissions?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure exactly, I do have a metal key from my old G35 and I know I got a plastic on for my Audi. Don't know why they decided not to provite em this time around.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have AAA, they can make key cutouts into your membership card...I know they did that for one of my older cars.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes, in my ’04 G35C Infiniti provided a flat key in a credit card size plastic sleeve that would operate the door locks and ignition. I liked the safety aspect as it fit nicely in my wallet. It would be great with keyless ignition if they provided a credit card size device that would do the same thing.

Whereas the new system is designed to not allow you to lock your fob in the car, if you’re away from home and actually lose the fob for a locked car, you’ve got a big problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a key hidden in each key fob to allow you to open the door and such but the car will not run without the fob that I am aware of. You have two key fobs so as long as you don't loss both you will be ok.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
how much does it cost to replace a key fob, just curious
Old 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
$100+ from the dealership. That includes matching them to your car and will require ALL I-keys to be present at the time.

Originally Posted by aliiin
how much does it cost to replace a key fob, just curious
Old 07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
shoeyg37s

Thanks for your replies

They are all very helpful. Hey Chasemyaccord is there any way AAA can do something for a 08 that requires some type of intelligence to start the ignition?

Ceckov - you hit the nail right on the head ...

Yes, in my ’04 G35C Infiniti provided a flat key in a credit card size plastic sleeve that would operate the door locks and ignition. I liked the safety aspect as it fit nicely in my wallet. It would be great with keyless ignition if they provided a credit card size device that would do the same thing.

Whereas the new system is designed to not allow you to lock your fob in the car, if you’re away from home and actually lose the fob for a locked car, you’ve got a big problem

Screwed major if you are out of town - that happened to me twice with the 323 and it was so reassuring knowin that I had a backup in my wallet. I would pay top dollar for that extra feature. I cannot believe in 08 that they have not created something...still do not get me wrong folks this car kicks serious ****!

I will call roadside assistance and let you all know what I find out!

Otherwise wearing deep pockets to ensure that fob does not go missing!

Thanks all,

Jeff