NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Mrev 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:36 AM
LEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ i think he's gonna do lee's headers this Sunday. Saturday is probably available.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
ratm68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEK
^^ i think he's gonna do lee's headers this Sunday. Saturday is probably available.

it's $100 for springs right? Sat's bad for me, is he able to do a weekday? like after hrs or something? Let me know, was going to wait for my g/f's brother in law, but he been busy so might just have him throw em on.

~Khoa
Old 05-08-2006, 10:50 AM
LEK

Originally Posted by ratm68
it's $100 for springs right? Sat's bad for me, is he able to do a weekday? like after hrs or something? Let me know, was going to wait for my g/f's brother in law, but he been busy so might just have him throw em on.

~Khoa
well.... Then he might be able to do it real early on Sunday before Lee's header install. And yes its $100 for springs only. He doesn't do weeknights... he did my cats on a weeknight but I doubt he'll do it. Let me pm you his # and you can talk to him.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:13 PM
wnt1bd

Originally Posted by G-Tofu
^^^time will tell ..... I don't want to bash any product, but it doesn't look right to me after using the MREV+.....my car felt like shesh after 6RPM...even though 1st & 2nd gear has lots of tqs
I still don't understand why you would take it off your car when you only lose power in the final 800-1000rpm's? I tried to explain this a while ago.....you may have lost some power up top, but when you are driving under normal circumstances you are getting more power. When you are racing from a dead stop with MREV you will pull harder to the point at which you lose power, at that point shift !!! You will go faster-faster because you are in the meaty point of your rpm band. It is a little difficult to explain, but the power you lose up top will only hurt you if you are racing someone at 60mph in 4th gear and running from there. Most races and driving is done in the 3000-6000 rpm band. I guess the only other factor I have is I ran at Capital many times without MREV and ran a consitant 14.0-14.1 at 99-100mph. After MREV install I took it out and ran a 13.92 @ 102.?? mph. I ran 2 other times that day and ran a 14.0? @101.?? and a 14.0? @ 102.?? I also dynoed before I did MREV and that was posted. Now I have installed my HKS and my Crawford's and I picked my top end back up.....just ask Jesus....sorry bro I had to put that out there.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
terryw

yeah tofu when you raced that M3, you should shift early instead of going to redline and you would have end up a lot faster. its not about how high an engine can rev, its about staying in the powerband
Old 05-08-2006, 02:35 PM
G-Tofu

Thanks Devon,

I did try to shift around 6.2 rpm when i raced with my buddy 350z and I did not even come close ......so i decided to shift it at 7.0 rmp and we were both dead even up to 110 then i started to pull slowly.... so i tried the new set up....by getting headers + 1/2" spacer, cuz headers will give you good mid range hps and 1/2 spacer + REVUP lower collector will help me at top..... I will retune my car and see if there is any difference in hp/tq numbers........I always want to take advantage of 7.1rmp .....btw, most of my race was from the roll (40-60mph)....

Originally Posted by wnt1bd
I still don't understand why you would take it off your car when you only lose power in the final 800-1000rpm's? I tried to explain this a while ago.....you may have lost some power up top, but when you are driving under normal circumstances you are getting more power. When you are racing from a dead stop with MREV you will pull harder to the point at which you lose power, at that point shift !!! You will go faster-faster because you are in the meaty point of your rpm band. It is a little difficult to explain, but the power you lose up top will only hurt you if you are racing someone at 60mph in 4th gear and running from there. Most races and driving is done in the 3000-6000 rpm band. I guess the only other factor I have is I ran at Capital many times without MREV and ran a consitant 14.0-14.1 at 99-100mph. After MREV install I took it out and ran a 13.92 @ 102.?? mph. I ran 2 other times that day and ran a 14.0? @101.?? and a 14.0? @ 102.?? I also dynoed before I did MREV and that was posted. Now I have installed my HKS and my Crawford's and I picked my top end back up.....just ask Jesus....sorry bro I had to put that out there.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:26 PM
wnt1bd

Hmmmm......I want to race your buddies 350z.....I pull on most Z's right out the box...then run them to death all the way through.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
G-Tofu

^^^ this Z is very quick for some reason.......may be, i am still new with stick shift heh.... definately you may want to check him out....... we had it on video though ....
Old 05-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Jee_35

devon can drive.. :P
Old 05-14-2006, 05:00 PM
nmanti

Originally Posted by G-Tofu
don't jump on it too quick guys. I had my MREV+ installed but then I took it off.....cuz the car lost trememdous power at top end (after 6.2rmp the hp graph went straight down)....I felt losing some tq at low end, but top end my car is moving faster now...
What condition is your MREV+ in? I may be intersted in taking it off your hands.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:28 PM
yacoub

Originally Posted by wnt1bd
I still don't understand why you would take it off your car when you only lose power in the final 800-1000rpm's?
exactly!

To make the point easier, let's simplify the situation:

Say +5% over the first 90% of the rev range, versus -5% over the last 10% = gains during 90% of your acceleration. When combined with shifting a little earlier to avoid the 10% where you lose some, you should be gaining performance in general by a good amount.

The area in blue is much greater than the area in purple. Plus since the area in purple is just at the top of the range in this example, it can even be avoided/cut off by simply shifting at the point where the green line intersects the orange one.

On the actual graph (http://kahn.bol.ucla.edu/revupdyno.gif) we can see that the ideal thing in that setup is to shift around 6100rpm, although that does seem a bit low... not sure where that drops the revs to in the next gear (though that partially depends on how quickly one shifts or if you shift w/o letting up on the gas, etc). Either way, it IS intersting to note that the ONLY place it loses is at the top of the rev range - after 6k rpms. Everywhere else it's either the same or gaining performance, if those graphs are accurate.

Last edited by yacoub; 05-14-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Hydrazine
Journeyman

The image you linked above is MREV2 without the plenum spacer.

MREV2 with 5/16" Iso Thermal spacer is what you really want.

The image below is using both together and compared to baseline. There is no contest between which curve is better than the other.
The MREV2/spacer combo are the two lines on top. The other three lower on the scale are stock baseline.

EDIT: BTW that was a cool illustration you made with the power curves.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-14-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Hydrazine
Journeyman

Originally Posted by yacoub
e
The area in blue is much greater than the area in purple.
It is also interesting to note that cars are not sold by area under the power curve. They are sold to the masses based on peak HP ratings.

I think what Nissan did with the REVUP plenum was optimize the marketing/advertising numbers rather than optimize area under the curve.

It makes good sense if only from a magazine advertising point of view.