NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

The NBA Playoffs Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:22 PM
arjunz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratik
Dude you're missing the point with Dallas. He had talent all around him with the Mavs. Dirk, Jamison (at the time), Finley, the team was loaded. Nash didnt need to score.

But he starts winning MVP's with the Suns. You're right, Kobe does get double and tripled team but he's always been a me-first kind of guy. Shaq would agree.

You couldnt have possibly told me you'd think Suns would win their division or even win 50+ games without Amare. That is all to Nash's credit. As I said, Raja Bell is a journeyman and he's not THAT good. Look at his numbers before he came to the Suns. Nash makes him look good. As far as Diaw playing a PF (same story as Bell, wasnt good before he came to the Suns), Nash runs the break better than anyone. Kicks out and feeds in the ball to the post. Kobe gets covered good but shoots a ton. I can bet you that Kobe's teammmates dont like to play with him on the floor. Meanwhile, Nash's love him and it shows with over 10 assists a game. Thats MVP.

+1111
Old 04-27-2006, 06:29 PM
papagz

people saying Kobe doesnt make those around him better??? can we check the stats for the last two games??
Old 04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Pratik

Originally Posted by papagz
people saying Kobe doesnt make those around him better??? can we check the stats for the last two games??
Can we check the stats for the whole season?? Right.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:52 PM
papagz

he is the most valuable player in the league tho. his team would be nothing without him. he has now made his teammates better. he has been a teacher to them. now take nash away, still a solid team... he is the best player in the nba and that is who deserves it. the best and most valuable player in the league
Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 PM
jiggalam

I agree Kobe is one of the best players. Does he deserve it? Yes. Is he important to his team? Def yes. But I still think Nash has had a better year. So I think he deserves it more. How has Kobe helped teach his team? By showing them how to be aggressive, score alot on a whole bunch of shots, shoot free throws, or try and take over games at the end? Because none of the other Lakers do any of that.

Besides before Odom came to the Lakers he was always the big dog on the team and was always considered to be one of the most versatile players that was supposed to be an all star. Now he's just an underachieving player that even admitted sometimes he just stands around so he can watch Kobe play. How is that being valuable? Nash not only leads the league in assists, only person in double digits, but the Suns are the leading assist team too. He's proven if you run he'll get you the ball. So my arguement is pretty much Nash causes everyone to play better and as a team, while Kobe sometimes dominates so much his team just watches him. So Nash should def get it.

Like I said before though I'd like Kobe to win over Nash, because he already won it, but the case for Nash is too strong and he should get it. On top of that, considering Nash won it last year with great stats, his stats have only improved this year. How can you deny him the award when he's done nothing but get better?
Old 04-28-2006, 02:44 AM
terryw

One other reason Id pick Kobe is because, being a life long fan of basketball and being a player my self. I know just how hard it is to play on both ends of the floor. When you have to exert energy to guard an opposing player, it takes more energy to play D than to score. Kobe is one of the best on the ball defender, and he always gets back on D vs fast breaks.

Thats why I love players like Jordan and Kobe and Artez, because they not only score, they play D. It takes a special player to be able to excel at both ends of the floor like that. Its hard to even fathom how Kobe manages to score 35 a night, most of the times taking it in strong, and play physical defense every posession shutting down the opposing teams best wing player.

I love to watch Nash and hes exciting fast breaks and throughing oops all day to Marrion. I just cant pick someone that dosnt play D to be the MVP of the league.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:48 AM
nightrider

^^^100% with u!!!

Kobe has accomplished soo much this year..best player in the league.. but too bad the nba already announced nash as MVP.. People will be thinking twice who should be the MVP after KOBE/lakers and beat NASH/suns in the playoffs.

MICHAEL JORDAN versus KOBE BRYANT who would you choose to shoot the game winner?

BOTH in their prime.. ill make a thread with poll...

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97042

Last edited by nightrider; 04-28-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:51 AM
papagz

^^ thats one of the hardest questions...depends on what year MJ vs what year kobe
Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 AM
terryw

Originally Posted by Pratik
Dude you are really reaching with your comparisons of teammates. This statement alone makes you lose credability:

'Diaw is pretty much the same player as Odom except hes 6-11'

Think again. You're comparing Boris Diaw to Lamar Odom??? Lets see Diaw go to any other team and play well. Not a chance.

And you forget one big thing. Kobe's got Phil Jackson - the greatest coach of all time. Still no Nash.
I dont remember Odom ever making the all star team, not with the clippers. and i dont remember him making it with the heat but he could have in that year they made the playoffs before they got Shaq, im not sure.

lets see their stats.

Odom 14.8 points, 5.5 assists 9.2 rebounds
Diaw 13.3 points, 6.2 assists, 6.9 rebounds

Odom is slightly better, but they are not much different. Odom only average about 1 point more per game... Both skilled based type of players that plays an inside finess game. Both can handle the rock and are capable of running/initiating offense and being the point of attack in the high and low post. Diaw had a lot of triple doubles this season and routinely dropped 20+ points in games. Given their stats, and considering that Odom is the 2nd option for the Lakers Offense while Diaw is at best the 3rd option and got about 100 less shot attempts this season. How are they not comparable?

He was this skilled from the begining. I was keeping an eye on him since NBAdraft.net had scouting reports on him. ATL used him wrong by making him play point guard because he had sick handles and passes well. But he being as tall as he is, had problems guarding opposing point guards that smaller and quicker. And He wasnt fast enough to penetrate when guarded by guards that were much quicker than him. He didnt have a scorer mentality by trying to shoot over people every possession, thats not what point guards are supposed to do. Once he went to Pheonix they used him as a 4, and he florished playing the same type of game that Odom and Antwan Walker plays.

You can say all you want that Nash is responsible for him becoming what he is this season. I know that its the position change that really gave him a chance to play from the high and low block where hes much quicker and outskills the bigmen in the NBA. I know of course Nash contributed in making him better. Nash is not responsible for turning him from a bum to one of the best point forwards in the league. He was playing out of position.

If Nash makes everyone better and their stats falls if they goto another team.
Why is Joe Johnson doing better in ATL, and why is Dirk still playing like the same Dirk in Dallas? Diaw havnt been traded yet, so how can you say theres no chance he will play well on another team? I definetly wont give Nash all the credit for what Diaw has become.

Last edited by terryw; 04-28-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Pratik

Dude again you're still missing the point. Look at Diaw's numbers before this year. Its no secret he just came to the Suns and was automatically good. Even if playing out of position.

If Suns had Amare there would be no doubt Suns would win this series and probably won 60+ games too. I'm still thinking the Suns will pull it out though.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:39 PM
terryw

thats what happens when you play out of position... pointguard and powerforward is 2 compeletely different positions. its true that he became a lot better with the suns, but that dosnt mean hes still a bum and not comparable to Odom. Nor does it mean that its all Nash that made him this good, or that he would be sorry if he goto another team. Hes stats and his game and his skill set is more comparable to Odom than most players in the league.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 PM
jiggalam

I dunno I guess and can't completely agee or disagree with either of you. I wouldn't say Nash is completely responsilble for Diaw's development, but I can guarentee he didn't hurt it either. I mean even if Diaw was playing out of position in ATL, talent is talent. If he was that good they would have found something for him to do, not ride the bench on a crappy team and be used as a trade throw in. I don't think Diaw would be as good as Odom if he was on the Lakers. Put Odom on the Suns and he would be a MIP candidate no doubt too. Which goes back to the Nash for MVP thing. His style of play makes everyone around him better and try harder.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
terryw

thats what often happens though, sometimes coaches just dosnt use a player correctly or dont give them play time. ben wallace, bobby simmons, gerald wallace, steven hunter, deshawn stephenson are a couple that comes to mind.
I can tell Diaw is going to be good no matter where he goes.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:05 PM
papagz

big game tonight...whos going!!!??!!?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:14 AM
nightrider

LAL beat SUNS!!!

LAL-2
SUNS1

and did you guys see the kings spurs game?

Quick Reply: The NBA Playoffs Thread