NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

funny video: world of warcraft player taking game too seriously

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:12 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how many characters in serenity died in their victory. Askin that hoping that it wasnt a total massacre heh.

Sad story though. Its tough to judge morally here. As stated before, its a freakin video game. It could have been some people lives though to play that video game and they hold it that dear. On the other hand, if a basketball player died and they held a memorial at the stadium for him, is someone gonna come crash that??

Its a tough call since this isnt a real life game so with all that being said, I do still smirk at the grim humor of taking out the whole attendance at the funeral.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 PM
allforthecash

Originally Posted by clokwork
I wonder how many characters in serenity died in their victory. Askin that hoping that it wasnt a total massacre heh.

Sad story though. Its tough to judge morally here. As stated before, its a freakin video game. It could have been some people lives though to play that video game and they hold it that dear. On the other hand, if a basketball player died and they held a memorial at the stadium for him, is someone gonna come crash that??

Its a tough call since this isnt a real life game so with all that being said, I do still smirk at the grim humor of taking out the whole attendance at the funeral.
very true and nicely put....
Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 PM
JDM 350GT

i have no idea rather i should laugh or cry.
i play WOW too...
gotta check WOW forums.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:13 PM
ChicagoX

Wasn't there a big brouhaha a couple of years ago about WOW? Something about suicide pacts through the game or the like?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
badtziscool

I personally don't think it's all that hard to morally judge this one. Many cultures (real ones) have their own ways of mourning the dead and deceased. For all of those who are of non buddhist faith, would you laugh at how a buddhist funeral is carried out? It may seem strange and weird, but you should have the common decency of being respectful by leaving the participants alone. You can laugh and point and poke fun and there would be nothing wrong with that, but you would definitely leave them alone.

Who's to say that WoW isn't a culture all its own? Yeah. I don't think its a good one or even a healthy one, but I'd like to see anyone argue that it's not. I mean, it's a place where people can meet and socialize. It's a place where there are unspoken rules, customs, and rituals. It's even a place where business can be conducted.

So in short, the funeral in WoW was indeed a funeral, by definition, and the funeral was held in place for a real life person. Because of that, they should have treated it as any old normal funeral you would see in real life.

It was funny to me for a little bit. Until I actually thought to myself that the funeral was actually for a real life person.

Anyways, kids will be kids and do stupid things. And that's what this was, a bunch of stupid kids being stupid and doing stupid things.

Last edited by badtziscool; 04-11-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:25 PM
terryw

all i know is, the people who planned the memrial are a bunch of idiots. they held it in a territory thats open to player vs player combat, they could have held it somewhere they can not be attacked... like in their home town... where its less travel for everyone... but no... they want to go in the wilds. i still laugh when i see them forming a line in a video game!!! lol

THEN they go on public forums and tells everyone about it. One of the post says "I hope someone dosnt come crash it".

Serenity Now pays their 15 bucks a month to play that game and they have the right to do whatever they want. what they did isnt against the player agreement.

Its terrible planning on the part of the memorial holders and excellent planing by Serenety Now. that attack takes some serious cordination

Last edited by terryw; 04-11-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
badtziscool

True that. They should have realized that they were going to do this in a place where there really are no rules.

I do agree that it was stupid on the part of the mourners to hold a memorial in a public virtual world. But I do also think that the Serenity kids did something pretty stupid themselves.

So it's just poor planning along with stupid kids.