NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas
View Poll Results: Which broadband provider do you use?
Verizon DSL
14.04%
Cox High Speed Internet
15.79%
Comcast
28.07%
Other
42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

What high speed internet connection do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:49 PM
truplay8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use adelphia, problems occasionaly
Old 10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
SaltiDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbq62
Is this different from the regular DSL? How do I find out more info about it?
Yes, it is entirely different. No copper wires involved outside your home. A device is installed on the outside of your home where the phone line comes in. This device does three things. 1) It takes your inside telephones' copper wire signal and converts that audio to fiber optic pulsed light and vice versa. 2) It takes the Internet incoming and outgoing and encodes/decodes the fiber optic & Cat5e wire data to/from your router. and 3) It will convert incoming fiber optic TV signals to Cable Co-ax signals for viewing in the house. (Not yet available locally.)

Fios is available for $35 per month for 5 meg down and 2 Meg up. (Also available at a two higher rates for more $.) These speeds are NOT dependent on your neighbors' usage and is faster that Dsl.

Installation is free and was done professionally and correctly in my case. I did purchase a wireless router and a USB wireless adapter from them.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Jee_35

Thumbs up

I use Comcast Cable. Service is great, and no problems with the internet. I run DC++ 24/7 and it works just fine. Price is a lil high, but Comcast > Verizon IMO...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Pathis

Comcast here currently, waiting on Fios to be available in my neighborhood. Theyve already laid down the conduit and ran the fiber, just waiting on fiber testing and having it run to a PoP. Cant wait to get it, plus I get it cheaper using my employee discount.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:58 AM
terryw

Originally Posted by SaltiDawg
We just got Verizon's Fios fiber optic for Internet and also telephone - TV should be available likely next year. The installation was professional and trouble free - they don't leave until it's up and running. We got a wireless router and have lit up the house. It is fast! 5Mb down, 2Mb up. $35 month for the Internet.
that sounds great, i think its time to upgrade
Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 PM
pdjafari

Yes, it is entirely different. No copper wires involved outside your home. A device is installed on the outside of your home where the phone line comes in. This device does three things. 1) It takes your inside telephones' copper wire signal and converts that audio to fiber optic pulsed light and vice versa. 2) It takes the Internet incoming and outgoing and encodes/decodes the fiber optic & Cat5e wire data to/from your router. and 3) It will convert incoming fiber optic TV signals to Cable Co-ax signals for viewing in the house. (Not yet available locally.)

Fios is available for $35 per month for 5 meg down and 2 Meg up. (Also available at a two higher rates for more $.) These speeds are NOT dependent on your neighbors' usage and is faster that Dsl.

Installation is free and was done professionally and correctly in my case. I did purchase a wireless router and a USB wireless adapter from them.
being a systems admin i suppose i should know this ....but i'll ask anywayz lol. do you know if fiber requires upgrading your existing hardware as in hub/router or ethernet cards?? id hate to have to replace my wireless router and cards...??
Old 10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Pratik

You shouldnt have to upgrade any hardware.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:50 AM
SaltiDawg

Originally Posted by Pratik
You shouldnt have to upgrade any hardware.
The router has firmware unique to Fios.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Pratik

The router has firmware unique to Fios.
While that may be true, it wouldnt require a hardware change. Linksys probably has firmware on their site if thats the kind of router you have. I'd suppose the big companies would be a lot more accomodating as far as any new software releases go then a generic cheapo free after rebate router you can get at best buy.

I do know for fios ppoe is required but i think currently its running on open ppoe? Requires user/pass authentication on use?

Salti, you may not know much about computers however you may want to google some things regarding Verizon's own firmware they use if that is what you put on. Have heard their proprietary build isn't as good - I'd stick to the router's latest one if you can.

Last edited by Pratik; 10-21-2005 at 08:39 AM.