NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

PS2/Xbox suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:34 PM
pdjafari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2/Xbox suggestions

Ok guys,

I know we got some gamers on here. I will be putting a Digital Wheelz screen in my car (soon hopefully!) and wanted some ideas. I basically want to have the ability to play DVD's and video games, a rear view camera and a PAC AAI-NIS or whatever to use my Ipod with the stock speakers rather than use my tape adapter. I have most everything figured out, just want to know what you guys think. The PS2 slim WILL fit in our lower glove box and will play DVDs (hopefully burned DVDs DVD-r and DVD+r too!!). The xbox has a hard drive, plays DVDs (hopefully DVDs and DVD-r/+r).

The advantage with the XBOX is the built in harddrive allows movies/games/songs to be saved onto it to avoid having to switch the media. The downside of the xbox is it

#1. WILL NOT fit in the glove box and wiring will have to be done to the trunk, where it will rest.
#2. More $$ alternative to the PS2 b/c i have no games or controllers for it
#3. In order to take advantage of the hard drive aspect which is an advantage, I would have to MOD the xbox to save to its hard drive or purchase a used already MODED XBOX. For those who dont know, a modded Xbox basically can play copied XBOX games and allows you to copy games and movies to its hard drive.

Now I know you all are thinking 'who plays ps2/xbox in their cars?'. well i cant agree with you more, but figure $100-120 for a mobile DVD player...and $150 for a ps2/xbox...well you get the drift...

so let me know what you guys think...either the ps2 route, or the xbox route....

I currently have a PS2 and it plays DVD-r/+r however it is the larger older PS2 and will NOT fit in the glove box!!

Last edited by pdjafari; 09-27-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Pratik

Hey, if you go the XBox route, i'd purchase a modded xbox from someone on Hardforums.com - People are always selling their modded xbox's for cheap on that site - you can get some great deals. There's some much ish on that site it moves pretty fast. Just post up you wanted a modded xbox and I bet you'll get a ton of responses.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:55 PM
nmanti

I also know of a "soft" way to mod the X-Box, if you go that way. It does requires the usb adapator, but there is no internal h/w mods.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:58 PM
pdjafari

lol Dhej, what you mean by 'soft'?!?! lool, PM me if u dont wanna go into details here...

Is it true the Xbox is running on Linux?? How crazy is it that a microsoft device would run on a linux OS?!? lol...

Last edited by pdjafari; 09-27-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Pratik

Hey I would like to knowt hose details. PM me too
Old 09-27-2005, 01:10 PM
pdjafari

Lastly, anyone know where I can get a cheap PS2 slim or xbox, or modded xbox?!?! I'd prefer new just so i know it works!!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:21 PM
nmanti

Just in case more people come in and are interested....

I'll need to look up the details, its been about a year since I saw them last.

But there is a usb adaptor that comes with one of the Final Fantasy games. You can plug it into your computer, download this unlocking program to it, then hook it up to the xbox, load it, and vuala.
I believe that after that first step you can burn OS and things to disc and install them.

The sites that I need to visit to find the details I can't go to from work, but I'll try to post something this evening.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Pratik

Dehj, i heard about this. How about posting the sites here so I can do my own research at work

Puria, I mentioned HardForums or even Anandtech forums you'll be able to find plenty in the For Sale/Trade forum. Have a look.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
terryw

pm me too, i have a ps2 thats softmodded, id buy an xbox if i dont have to put a chip in it
Old 09-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Pratik

You could always get the Matrix Xtender chip if I remember right. The one where you dont have to solder anything, its just plug on top and play.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:36 PM
slikster818

x box brakes down to much.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:44 PM
wnt1bd

Originally Posted by slikster818
x box brakes down to much.
Funny you should say that....i'm on my 3rd PS2 and still my first Xbox with the huge controllers.

I would go with the slim PS2 for the car though...the Xbox is to big.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 PM
GeeMan

Try craigslist. There's always someone selling their box there. Modded ones too.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:52 PM
nmanti

Originally Posted by pratik97
Dehj, i heard about this. How about posting the sites here so I can do my own research at work
Hmmm. I'm trying to recall the name of a couple. I have them bookmarked at home.
I think one was a box.sk site. You should be able to access the parent page from http://box.sk
NOTE: going to this page may spawn illicit images on your screen. NOT recommended for use at work.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Pratik

Here you guys go for the soft mod:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=215055

The website prob. has all the info you need on all modding questions.

Quick Reply: PS2/Xbox suggestions