NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Lets talk some relays and circuits and some reverse camera suggestions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Pratik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets talk some relays and circuits and some reverse camera suggestions....

I've been looking for some answers on this subject anywhere I can get some. Basically what I want to do is wire my reverse camera to a composite input into my screen and wire it into my reverse lights. Not a problem at all to wire this as the screen automatically switches inputs when it recognizes signal from the camera.

BUT, what if I want to watch the camera just while regular driving and the power source of the reverse lights is off, how would this be done?

From my understanding is it can be pretty easily done with a Cheesebox (a device that'll take your composite into VGA) however thats around $75 and I dont need that. You can view the attached image on how that would work.

Can anyone help me out here?
If I'm thinking about this correctly, couldnt I just take some 12V power from the reverse lights to power a relay? Maked the powered position of the relay to be the camera feed and the default to be the carputer. This only works with composite feeds for the computer and camera which in turn would require me to have a tv tuner card with a compo input and would split that composite cable from the camera into my tv tuner card and the other one into the touchscreen? I think I may have one of those old tv tuner cards laying around anyways so it shouldnt be a problem.

Someone's gotta drop some electrical knowledge on me here.... Its been a while!
Attached Thumbnails Lets talk some relays and circuits and some reverse camera suggestions....-cheeseboxswitch2.gif  
Old 09-26-2005, 11:10 AM
god_of_cpu

All that you should have to do is take a switch powered by a constant 12v line and tie its output into the reverse light trigger for your camera in addition to the reverse light power and put a diode on the reverse light power line so power can't flow back into it.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:32 PM
pdjafari

Pratik, whatever you decide, I'd be happy to help you out install/wiring. I have spoken to Chuck and hope to have my housing by weeks end. I can pick up your screen anytime!! I have decided to go the xbox/ps2 route and also have a rear view camera like urself!! So whatever you decide to go with, I will try to replicate!! Cant wait to get my screen and housing!!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Pratik

Puria, we'll have to set something up. You'll run into the same situation I'm at now. I dont know though if your screen auto switches to the source?? I know the 7" TSV does but not sure about the V? Even then though I think you'd also need a relay to switch to the camera even while driving (assuming that you'd even want that feature) as opposed to just having it on while in reverse.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:47 PM
jester7500

If your TSV automatically switches to camera video when it senses the analog feed, then I don't see a need for converting it to VGA (using the cheesebox). Take a look at the diagram you provided again. All you'll need is that SPDT switch, wired exactly how it's shown. But instead, have it's output go to your camera. The SPDT switch will feed your camera either from the reverse lights or a constant 12V source. That SPDT switch will have 3 positions. When you leave the switch on the "reverse lights" position, the camera will only turn on when you're in reverse. When you want the camera view at any given time, just flip the switch to the "12V source" position. When you want to disable the camera completely, put the switch in the "off", or middle position.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Pratik

Yeah Jess. I had mentioned in my reply I dont need the cheesebox method exactly because of the reason you stated.

Do you know of a place to get the SPDT switch?

According to what you're saying however by "flipping the switch" I want to be able to have the reverse light method turn on AND view the camera while driving.

Wouldnt Chuck's solution be best then? I think thats the solution I thought of before posting which is wiring in parallel and placing a diode on the reverse light power.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:21 PM
wnt1bd

Hi!!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:31 PM
jester7500

You can pick up a SPDT, and other types of toggle switches from Marc Electronics in Beltsville. The ones I use for work are industrial grade, so they are not the prettiest, but they may have fancy ones.

So do you want the options to have the camera turn on only when in reverse, OR turn on ANYTIME?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:43 PM
pdjafari

I think he wants it to turn on BOTH when in reverse (automatically on when in reverse) and also be able to turn it on ANYTIME while driving/parked!!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Pratik

Yeah, what Puria said. Wiring in parallel seems to be the best bet.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:33 PM
jester7500

^^ Yeah, that's the exact solution I'm thinking about. The SPDT switch will have 3 pins: 2 inputs, and 1 output. YOU will have 3 choices with that switch:

1) power camera from the reverse lights
2) no power to the camera
2) power camera from a constant source

Let's say your switch is in position "1". Your camera will always be OFF until you put the car in reverse. Your camera will never get power unless your reverse lights get power.

Let's say your switch is in position "2". Your camera will never ever get power, because the circuit is open.

Let's say your switch is in position "3". Your camera will always be ON, no matter what gear your in.

If these are not the options you want, then I'm curious to see what your talking about.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:57 PM
pdjafari

Jess I think that about sums it up!! That's what i think Ghandi wants!! Verify that for us Pratik?!!??
Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Pratik

Jess, in your options 1,2,3. Im trying to do 1 and 3 at the same time. I want to be able to put the car in reverse and have it automaticlaly switch inputs on my screen (which it will do when it gets power) and then I'd also like to view my camera while regular driving (without the reverse lights on).

If the source has a constant 12V then when in reverse it wont switch automatically anyways.

Does that make sense - I wasn't sure if thats what you were trying to explain. Sorry its early.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 AM
jester7500

I get what you want. But maybe I'm missing some info regarding the reverse lights. Maybe you or someone can help clarify. When you put the car in reverse, is 12V going to the reverse lights? If so, then adding the SPDT switch will work.

How exactly are the reverse lights hooked up?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
jester7500

I did a search a couple of days ago and came upon a thread from the Toyota Sienna forums...lol. It confirmed that a SPDT switch is all you'll need.

Quick Reply: Lets talk some relays and circuits and some reverse camera suggestions....