NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Insane squeal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 05:55 PM
nmanti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Insane squeal!!!

I've been hearing this load squeal (mainly when I turn the steering wheel to the left). I thought it was coming from the front driver's side brakes, so I took them apart cleaned and greased the metal surfaces; but the problem is still there.
I was reading another thread and someone said that they similar symptoms and it turned out to be the rear diff needed to be lubed.
Anyone in the area ever had this problem? If so what'd you do? How much was it?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
pdjafari

hmm, sounds to me like you got a loose belt!! does it only happen when you turn the wheel left, or does it happen when you turn the wheel all the way left and/or all the way right??? it really does sound like a loose power steering belt to me!! check your belts man, if they give..chances are they need to be tightened!!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:51 PM
spendgy

Also verify that your power steering fluid is at recommended level.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:44 AM
nmanti

Power steering fluid level is good. I guess it could be a belt, but it "appears" to come more from the side of the car.
It started off only when I would turn the wheel to the left, not it does it on occassion even I'm going straight.
I can drive for about 20min before the sound starts; after it starts the "slightest" turn to the left will set it off. Some time if the wheel is all the way to the left it stops, but I think thats tied more to my speed at the time.
It really only kicks in above 15-20mph (it's still present at highway speeds).

This is another thread I've been referencing. Squeal when not braking.

Last edited by nmanti; 09-10-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:47 PM
pdjafari

hmm, bro this could be your brakes. If you get a squeal when not braking...it could be your pads are worn. When was the last time you replaced your front brakes?? I say this since you mention the noise comes from the side of the car, and when you 'slightly' turn the wheel. I had a similar prob. when my brakes were starting to wear, the slightest turn would double the level of sound from the screeching. Check your pads, you MIGHT be able to catch a look through your rims, w/o having to take them off...but thats pretty tough w/ the 18s....Id recommend taking off your left front tire, checking out how much you have remaining!! And dont let Infiniti charge you 100+ to change em!! I paid $60 for non brembo HAWK HPS pads which are 100x better than stock OEM pads and changed them in 30 minutes!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
nmanti

Yea I was thinking about changing the pads. I took them off last weekend, and they look fine. I didn't measure but the wear indicator at about 1/3 the pad thickness. They only have 9,600 miles on them.
I even added some brake grease, just incase they were rubbing; doesn't appear to have helped.
I was looking at mu and HAWK for my next set when the time comes.