NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Help me remove tree sap from my front bumper and hood!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Pratik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help me remove tree sap from my front bumper and hood!

Go out to my car this morning and find a bunch of tree sap on it. What a pain in the ***. Its still early but I tried claybaring it off. Got most of it removed but some lingering spots remain.

Doing some research online I see that "denatured" alcohol works well on tree sap and should remove it all. Found that information here for what its worth:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/horetasapbu.html

Question is what the heck is denatured? There's diff. types of alcohol (ispropryl, ethyl). Which one do I need to make my bumper look new again??
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Benj

Ugh I don't read well. you did try to clay bar it.

That sucks. Haven't had to deal with tree sap yet. Had bug droppings or something on my car the other day. Had to clay bar it off. Sucks your clay bar is not taking it out.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
GEE35FX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bug and Tar remover work good. It is for tree sap also. You can usually buy it at most auto stores. Just make sure it is safe for clear coats.
I have used it on my G with no problem, after my wife left the G parked under a tree .
Old 08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Pratik

Is there any specific brand that you tried I should look at?

This is my own fault (at least I think so) that I tried and park in the shade at work since its been 100+ everytime I get into the car. I can't even touch my momo **** since its chrome when I start to drive.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM
SaltiDawg

Originally Posted by pratik97
Question is what the heck is denatured? There's diff. types of alcohol (ispropryl, ethyl). Which one do I need to make my bumper look new again??
Denatured Alcohol is simply Ethyl Alcohol - any hardware store. Poison.

I'd keep Clay Baring with mild detergent.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:20 PM
GEE35FX

Is there any specific brand that you tried I should look at?

This is my own fault (at least I think so) that I tried and park in the shade at work since its been 100+ everytime I get into the car. I can't even touch my momo **** since its chrome when I start to drive.
I think most brands will work ok. I checked what I bought for removing the tree sap and it is:
"Turtle Wax Spray Bug & Tar & Tree Sap Remover"
It removed the sap okay. I just sprayed each spot lightly and wiped it down after a few seconds with the car in the shade. I then washed the car and re-Zainoed. Like new again .
Old 08-06-2005, 08:27 AM
brian2004

If the tree sap is soft ,scape off with your nail.Then use spray nine rub in with your finger.I t will break the sap down .Then wax man.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 AM
mbq62

I removed tree sap from my car and arjunz's car with clay bar.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Pratik

Lek, I tried the claybar. Just didnt work. Maybe it had settled in there on the hood. Went out and got some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover as somoene suggested. Almost got rid of everything except one spot where I really have to scrub hard on it.

At Pep Boys they have a bug and tar scrub spounge - not sure if its worth getting it but since it was so hot outside and outside after 10 minutes I was soaked in sweat I figured I'd try sometime in the evening or the next time I was to remove all the sap off. Hopefully it'll come off.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:09 AM
GEE35FX

Lek, I tried the claybar. Just didnt work. Maybe it had settled in there on the hood. Went out and got some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover as somoene suggested. Almost got rid of everything except one spot where I really have to scrub hard on it.

At Pep Boys they have a bug and tar scrub spounge - not sure if its worth getting it but since it was so hot outside and outside after 10 minutes I was soaked in sweat I figured I'd try sometime in the evening or the next time I was to remove all the sap off. Hopefully it'll come off.
Be Careful , Don't scrub too hard on trouble spots. I had a couple of bad spots and I overdid it with the scrubbing on one spot, had very minor scratches after, thank goodness I could buff it out okay after.
If you have a stuborn sap spot just reapply the sap remover and let it sit for a minute then try removing it again with clean cotton cloth (make sure the car is in the shade). Repeat this process until the sap is gone. Do not rub hard. I got the best success this way.
Good luck.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
ashadiow

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Bug and Tar remover work good. It is for tree sap also. You can usually buy it at most auto stores. Just make sure it is safe for clear coats.
I have used it on my G with no problem, after my wife left the G parked under a tree .
YEP WORKS GREAT!