NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Reckless Ticket+Herndon=F@ck

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:44 AM
pdjafari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reckless Ticket+Herndon=F@ck

So I got my first ticket last nite on dranesville road heading towards Rte 7 right near Herndon High School. About 100 feet before I passed the cop (slowed down to around 45) I saw one of those signs which posts the speed of passing cars in the opposite direction. Now from my past experiences commuting to and from GMU these signs are actually able to post speeds of cars going in the opposite direction (as I was last nite). I passed this sign going faster than 45mph..maybe 50. 100 feet later I spotted the 5-0 and slowed to 45ish. After I passed I didnt know what the speed limit was in the area and thought the cop wasnt going to bother until 3 minutes later when I saw flashing lights up on my ***. In my opinion he used this stupid speed posting sign to clock me because I had slowed down after seeing the sign.

Anyways, he got out took 1 look at me and I could tell that look meant 'young driver (25 yrs old)+nice car+attractive girl in the car ()=im jealous so you get a ticket'. He said I was doing 52 in a 25 asked for license/registration. Walked away came back 15 min later w/ a ticket asked me to sign and if I had any questions. I could tell he was the type who did not wanna hear **** or even cut me any sort of break even when I blurted out last minute that I have a prior clean record. So now I have a freaking reckless ticket 52 in 25 and a August 24th court date....

Any Ideas guys???

I dont wanna pay for a damn lawyer...b/c I feel I can prob. get it reduced b/c of my previous clean record, therefore the effort and $$ Id put into a lawyer I feel would be pointless b/c a lawyer would just do the same. Just wanna get an idea from those of you who have faced a similar situation!!

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:58 AM
mbq62

I'd get a lawyer. Better in the long run.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Byrnie

I would too, a good one too. Sometimes you can plea bargain before the case for community service and get your record expunged or just get off in court due to your past record. Sorry to hear that puria.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 AM
vlm7

The judge will definitely advise you to get a lwayer because reckless in VA is potentially punishable by jail time. That said, I represented myself "pro se". though I didn't do the best job, I got the fine reduced. I would have been better off if I'd taken driving school before appearing. The judge and I didn't take the case too seriously and we were practically joking about how fast new cars are these days. That said, I woulda probably faired better if I didn't fall into his trap and make light of the situation and instead remained somber and conciliatory.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Pratik

Damn man sorry to hear. How about those ticket websites? People that have used them swear by them. I think that may be your way to go. If I have some time I'll do a search on them for you and give you some websites to look at.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Byrnie

also if you do traffic school do it in person and not the online one (looking better, the online one will make you look lazy).
Old 06-09-2005, 09:21 AM
pdjafari

Guys,

I know a RD ticket is actually considered a misdemeanor and if the cop wanted to could arrest you right then/there and impound your vehicle (although this rarely ever happens). As far as getting your getting your fine reduced Vik, how much lower was it reduced by if you dont mind me asking?? I am feeling the urge to go in alone and plead that I have driven in NoVA for 10 years (since 16) and have never received any sort of infraction and come up w/ some sort of sob story and make sure to mention there was/is no excuse for speeding etc.

From people I have talked to thus far, 75% say to get a lawyer, and of those 75% 50% actually had an RD and had an attorney. The other 25% actually didnt and got the charge/fine reduced. All in all its really out of our hands, things we cant control are : judge, his attitude that morning/day, and our luck. The cost of an attorney is $500-1k in some cases which really isnt something I wanna dish out.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!! I will definitely take that traffic school class 'in person' but I think I also remember from high school drivers Ed. that for every so many years of driving w/o a ticket you get like +1 point...its good to know what your driving record looks like at a time like this!!

Last edited by pdjafari; 06-09-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:23 AM
patton

Oh yeah don't forget the most important thing......................

DON'T DRIVE 50 IN A 25 ZONE!!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 AM
vlm7

$1000 -> $250... If I was picked up again w/in 6 months, I'd have to pay the commuted $750. With respect to the charge, when I asked that it be reduced from RD to Improper, the Judge asked the state trooper how fast I was going, and the Judge said that for how much I was going over, he really couldn't reduce the charge. He certainly has the discretionary authority, but I guess his limited mercy was manifest in the commuted fine, and not in a reduced charge.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

Originally Posted by patton
Oh yeah don't forget the most important thing......................

DON'T DRIVE 50 IN A 25 ZONE!!

really, what help is this adding here...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 AM
pdjafari

Originally Posted by clokwork
really, what help is this adding here...

Seriously!! As if after receiving a damn RD ticket I dont already know that!! Take him out for me John...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Pratik

We could take care of this if he were local
Old 06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Byrnie

BAD BOYS FOR LIFE :P (sorry saw bad boys the other day). Please don't post obvious stuff Patton, especially when someone is freaking out about a serious ticket, thanks .
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Espresso

I would seek a professional opinion on this one. Reckless is one thing but going double the speed limit can't go over well with any judge. Pay $500-1k for professional help is a lot better than getting your license suspended for 6 months or even a year. I had a roommate in college who got his license suspended for 6 months and your life begins to suck without a license.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
vlm7

While I was waiting my turn on the docket, the judge threw 2 guys in jail and suspended a couple licenses. Serious stuff. I was relieved when the judge and I struck up a more amicable tone. While my result was less than ideal, it was also far from the worst that could have occurred.