NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Aftermarket Intake Owners, READ!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 03:19 PM
pdjafari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Intake Owners, READ!!

Hey guys,

I know we got a lot of new members/user's in our forums w/ 05's that may not be familiar w/ some of the past issues that came up with 03s and 04s they may not be aware of. One of the most crucial is how aftermarket intakes are known to rub against our paper thin AC line enough to open the pressurized line. The repair cost for this line is around $700-1000 from what I recall. A few members early on in 03-04 realized this and found some fixes or workarounds to prevent this issue. Greg and myself already implemented these fixes during our intake installs. Basically this is something I would DEF. do if I purchased the Injen, NISMO, or the JWT popcharger. Those w/ just a Z/tube need not worry. If you pop your hood and look at your stock intake you will see the MAF sensor which plugs into the intake near the front of the car. This area of the intake is also where your AC line sits...a thin metal pressurized line w/ a black cap towards the front/driver side portion of the hood and goes way below down into the engine bay. Basically, you can go to home depot/lowe's purchase some 1/2 or 1/4 inch fuel line (thick a$$ rubber) split it down the side and run that fuel line over your stock AC line. Fuel lines are tested and VERY durable as they are assuming your using them to carrying gasoline but honestly ANY type of flexible tough tubing will do!! In addition to the fuel line i went the extra step and threw on some wire loom over the fuel line. (kinda like when pratik double's up b4 he heads to 14th ). Anyways, just thought I'd let our newer members KNOW to WATCH OUT and make sure to perform this fix during your intake install and DO NOT let this go for even a day before its taken care of!! Sorry about the long post!!

BTW i dont think this was an issue w/ the Stillen intake in addition to some others...but rule of thumb, if you dont have more than 1/4 '' clearance...cover your tube!!

here's the link from the thread from a year ago!!

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...rmarket+intake

Last edited by pdjafari; 05-31-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
wanalaugh74

Originally Posted by pdjafari
Hey guys,

I know we got a lot of new members/user's in our forums w/ 05's that may not be familiar w/ some of the past issues that came up with 03s and 04s they may not be aware of. One of the most crucial is how aftermarket intakes are known to rub against our paper thin AC line enough to open the pressurized line. The repair cost for this line is around $700-1000 from what I recall. A few members early on in 03-04 realized this and found some fixes or workarounds to prevent this issue. Greg and myself already implemented these fixes during our intake installs. Basically this is something I would DEF. do if I purchased the Injen, NISMO, or the JWT popcharger. Those w/ just a Z/tube need not worry. If you pop your hood and look at your stock intake you will see the MAF sensor which plugs into the intake near the front of the car. This area of the intake is also where you AC line sits...a thin metal pressurized line w/ a black cap towards the front/driver side portion of the hood and goes way below down into the engine bay. Basically, you can go to home depot/lowe's purchase some 1/2 or 1/4 inch fuel line (thick a$$ rubber) split it down the side and run that fuel line over your stock AC line. Fuel lines are tested and VERY durable as they are assuming your using them to carrying gasoline but honestly ANY type of flexible tough tubing will do!! In addition to the fuel line i went the extra step and threw on some wire loom over the fuel line. (kinda like when pratik double's up b4 he heads to 14th ). Anyways, just thought I'd let our newer members KNOW to WATCH OUT and make sure to perform this fix during your intake install and DO NOT let this go for even a day before its taken care of!! Sorry about the long post!!

BTW i dont think this was an issue w/ the Stillen intake in addition to some others...but rule of thumb, if you dont have more than 1/4 '' clearance...cover your tube!!
How do you know if it is leaking? Will it only leak if you turn on your AC? or will it leak something eventhough you haven't turned on your AC? I only ask b/c when I was installing my Z Tube, I had to nudge and adjust several rubber hoses and don't know if I was near that one.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM
pdjafari

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
How do you know if it is leaking? Will it only leak if you turn on your AC? or will it leak something eventhough you haven't turned on your AC? I only ask b/c when I was installing my Z Tube, I had to nudge and adjust several rubber hoses and don't know if I was near that one.
the user's who had this issue first noticed that their AC wasnt quite as cold as it should be. Then they small a small pin sized hole in the AC line where it rubbed against the intake and/or MAF sensor area. If you look under your hood you will see one of the many screw type clamps which holds together our intake sitting literally right on top of our AC line. Stock intake gives proper clearance as does the Stillen (from what I recall). However the NISMO/Injen/JWT popcharger are all causes for concern!! Just take a look at your AC line, even a small scratch can eventually lead to loss of pressure in the AC system.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:34 PM
pdjafari

hey wanalaugh74...were you at tysons mall on sunday or monday??!?!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:09 PM
wanalaugh74

Nope.. sorry not me.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
G35zkyline

thermostat question...

speaking of hi flow intakes, do any of you know if by changing the thermostat will ensure a more accurate air/fuel mixture or is this just for turbo/supercharged engines?http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=263
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 AM
mbq62

Another issue is that when traveling at high speeds and dumping it in neutral the car cuts off.... I've heard many stories about that.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:16 AM
pdjafari

Lek good point. Thats an issue that came up w/ some cold air intake systems like the NISMO/Injen.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Pratik

How about worrying about if rain or water gets into the intake or has that problem been corrected since? Heard about that one before.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Byrnie

I saw an AEM bypass valve on www.grubbsperformance.com that said it's supposed to protect against rain so I guess you could install that on your car.

Puria you're sure this doesn't apply to '05 owners?

~Ry
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 AM
pdjafari

From what I've read on this site in regards to CAI's (Injen/NISMO/AEM) the latter 2 come w/ a water diverter valve as pratik mentioned. However in order for you engine to suck in enough water for their to be any sort of damage you'd have to submerge the intake about 3-6''?? Dont quote me on the number's but I know I have read on this site and on my350z that it does have to be submerged pretty far in order for water to actually be sucked up in the IM. so basically the chances of this are close to none unless you drive through huge pools and puddles!! But if this is the case even the water diverter wont help you out!!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 AM
pdjafari

Im not gonna say it wont or will affect the 05s, I havent seen the engine bay on an 05 to see if the AC line was repositioned or havent read/heard about this issue w/ any 05s.

But I do know that wnt1bd in our region has the NISMO and I dont think he has wrapped his AC line and only time will tell if/when there is a problem I guess. But I think the AC line has NOT been moved from what I remember on his ride. Regardless of whether its an 05 or not, id still wrap the line if its anywhere near the MAF/intake area and there's potential for it to touch. Better safe than sorry IMO.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Gmoney4

Puria you are such a nice guy. You should think about a career change, maybe become a technical writer for g35 parts & labor. I think you could make bank.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Byrnie

good point and great post man, and devon does have an '05 so I hope he reads this, I'll go ahead and pm him the link to this thread.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 AM
mbq62

Originally Posted by pdjafari
From what I've read on this site in regards to CAI's (Injen/NISMO/AEM) the latter 2 come w/ a water diverter valve as pratik mentioned. However in order for you engine to suck in enough water for their to be any sort of damage you'd have to submerge the intake about 3-6''?? Dont quote me on the number's but I know I have read on this site and on my350z that it does have to be submerged pretty far in order for water to actually be sucked up in the IM. so basically the chances of this are close to none unless you drive through huge pools and puddles!! But if this is the case even the water diverter wont help you out!!

Anytime it rains there can be huge pools and puddles of water. It's kinda hard to avoid.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intake Owners, READ!!