NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Aftermarket Intake Owners, READ!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 AM
mbq62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdjafari
Im not gonna say it wont or will affect the 05s, I havent seen the engine bay on an 05 to see if the AC line was repositioned or havent read/heard about this issue w/ any 05s.

But I do know that wnt1bd in our region has the NISMO and I dont think he has wrapped his AC line and only time will tell if/when there is a problem I guess. But I think the AC line has NOT been moved from what I remember on his ride. Regardless of whether its an 05 or not, id still wrap the line if its anywhere near the MAF/intake area and there's potential for it to touch. Better safe than sorry IMO.
Devon did wrap the line. I saw it.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
pdjafari

Lek,

when it rains around here the deepest pool/puddle on the ground is maybe 3-6'' deep on average. thats not nearly high enough to cause a problem w/ a CAI. Although the CAI sits low in the fender, its at least 1 foot off of the ground meaning youd have to drive into a puddle deeper or as deep as a foot if not more to submerge the filter head about 3-6''. Now we do get some downpours around here, but I doubt anybody is stupid enough to ever drive through a lake (not puddle) that covers the entire roadway!! That aside, how many people on our forums, hell on any auto forums do you know that have ingested water into their IM and damaged their engine?? Now I know there are stories here/there or members here/there who HAVE had this happen...but its like winning the lottery...one in a million, you have a better chance of being killed in an accident...alot of good a CAI will do on a totalled car!!!

Last edited by pdjafari; 06-01-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:21 AM
mbq62

Lek,

when it rains around here the deepest pool/puddle on the ground is maybe 3-6'' deep on average. thats not nearly high enough to cause a problem w/ a CAI. Although the CAI sits low in the fender, its at least 1 foot off of the ground meaning youd have to drive into a puddle deeper or as deep as a foot if not more to submerge the filter head about 3-6''. Now we do get some downpours around here, but I doubt anybody is stupid enough to ever drive through a lake (not puddle) that covers the entire roadway!! That aside, how many people on our forums, hell on any auto forums do you know that have ingested water into their IM and damaged their engine?? Now I know there are stories here/there or members here/there who HAVE had this happen...but its like winning the lottery...one in a million, you have a better chance of being killed in an accident...alot of good a CAI will do on a totalled car!!!

I'll have to disagree with you. It can happen. Depending on the speed you are traveling they way you hit the puddle and how much water splashes up. I know that sometimes when I hit a puddle it splashes a good 4-5ft. into the air.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Pratik

While your theory is correct about having the intake submerged in 3-6" in reality I dont believe it needs to be submerged that much in order for things to go wrong? You know more about this than I do I'm sure however I've still heard stories of problems just in a regular thunderstorm - no driving in puddles or any of that. Now I'm sure this problem has been addressed and corrected with the bypass valve though now you say right? What about the others that have an old style intake without it?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
mbq62

The question is how much water does the engine need to hydrolock?? If you need like a lot of water then of course it wouldn't be possible. But if just a cup or water or less can hydrolock your engine then it's very possible. Thats like having bird poo on your car while you are driving. Whats the chances of that? I'm sure it's some low percentage but it still happens.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Pratik

Originally Posted by mbq62
Thats like having bird poo on your car while you are driving. Whats the chances of that? I'm sure it's some low percentage but it still happens.
Happened to me during our first meet. I dont think the Hooters girl were feelin a big splash on the windshield and hood...

Oh wait a sec, I take that last statement back!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:29 AM
pdjafari

I was referring to pretty serious engine damage from hydrolocking. regardless its not good to get any water in, but people who have a CAI know thats part of the risk associated, which is why i didnt get a CAI and opted for the JWT. but if i did have a CAI, i would DEF be more careful in rainy weather and wouldnt go driving so that water splashes 4-6 feet in the air!!

http://www.g35driver.com/forums/show...t=hydrolocking

a recent thread on hydrolocking...although numerous exist on the subject on this forum....

Last edited by pdjafari; 06-01-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Byrnie

I was referring to pretty serious engine damage from hydrolocking. regardless its not good to get any water in, but people who have a CAI know thats part of the risk associated, which is why i didnt get a CAI and opted for the JWT. but if i did have a CAI, i would DEF be more careful in rainy weather and wouldnt go driving so that water splashes 4-6 feet in the air!!

http://www.g35driver.com/forums/show...t=hydrolocking

a recent thread on hydrolocking...although numerous exist on the subject on this forum....
just trying to clarify here so the popcharger isn't a CAI? But the stillen is so I'm trying to figure out what the difference is, excuse my newbieness .
Old 06-01-2005, 05:36 PM
wnt1bd

Originally Posted by mbq62
Another issue is that when traveling at high speeds and dumping it in neutral the car cuts off.... I've heard many stories about that.
My Nismo hasn't had that problem at all. I have punched then thrown it to neutral on purpose when I read someone's post earlier. I think it's on the Injens.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 PM
wnt1bd

Damn I need to follow up better. Yea I put a piece of foam around my AC line. It's almost an inch away , but better safe then sorry. As for water getting in. It's not going to be an issue.There is a cover on the botom of your engine bay that prevent the majority of the water from enterting the engine area, along with the bypass valve, what are the chances that enough water will come up through the cover around into the filter , up the tube ,by the bypass valve then into the engine? Now when I wash my car that's another story. I am real careful about spraying water in the lower front grill for fear I may soak the filter. I does take quite a bit of water though to hydrlock an engine. On a side note , sorry I haven't been around to much lately ,i'm trying to make it Saturday, but it's my sons last soccer game of the season so I HAVE to be there. Maybe when it's done I can haul *** over.