NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Washed Car..got streaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:53 AM
stylez09
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washed Car..got streaks

My car has been quite filthy and dirty since I havent washed it in a few weeks and I just made a recent trip down 95 to Richmond. I figured I'd wash it real quick last just to get the grime and bugs off the top layer. Usually I would take 2-3 hours to wash the car but I just went over the car once with soap. After drying the car I noticed random streaks (kinda like ones you would see on your window after using windex) around the car..kinda annoying. They are clearly visible at certain angles. I was wondering if i got them because I washed the car too fast, not enough soap, not enough rinsing? Anyways, have any of you all had the same problem and if so what is the best way to remedy this. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:58 AM
pdjafari

I would look to see if towels you dried with had some dirt in them. Did you notice the streaks while you washed or only after drying?? The sponge you used could also have deposited the debris/dirt onto the vehicle and you mightve just smeared them in. I would try to run my finger over them to see if they come off then just grab a clean/new sponge and some dawn and rewash the car once again. When washing, just make sure to rinse the sponge very well to remove dirt you have washed off and not to reapply washed off dirt on other parts of the car. Also try to do the most noticeable body panels first (hood, doors, front fender, rear quarter panel) and leave the lower side skirts/splash guards for last. Another possiblity is the car still has some soap on it that hasnt been rinsed off. Usually this type of streak is sticky to the touch and will simply wipe away w/ water.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Pratik

Aren't streaks mostly caused by bad drying towels? How are you drying the towel? I've recently started using the Absorber towel and I like it. After trying all these different chamois, even the mr. clean auto dry solution the Absorber seems to work the best.

I'd have a problem with streaks before if I washed the car in plain sunlight too (which is kinda obvious) but now if I am to wash the car during sunset, dusk time it seems to dry very well.

Another tip I would suggest also is to wash different parts of the car at a time and take your time and clean it that way.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
stylez09
Registered Member

I use the absorber to dry my car, I think there might be excess soap on the car since after drying, the absorber felt very oily (from soap i assume). I think I put well over the amount of soap in the water bucket, that might be the problem. I do wash the sponge and hand mitt before applying soap on the car and I also washed the differenct sections.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM
mbq62

Originally Posted by stylez09
I use the absorber to dry my car, I think there might be excess soap on the car since after drying, the absorber felt very oily (from soap i assume). I think I put well over the amount of soap in the water bucket, that might be the problem. I do wash the sponge and hand mitt before applying soap on the car and I also washed the differenct sections.
Are you using the same absorber that you used for washing to dry the car as well?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Byrnie

use chamois not towels to dry the car.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
stylez09
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mbq62
Are you using the same absorber that you used for washing to dry the car as well?
I only use the absorber to dry the car.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
mbq62

Originally Posted by stylez09
I only use the absorber to dry the car.
That's really weird. The only time that ever happened was with my friend's evo he dried it with his old absorber and it left oil streaks. I would think it needs to be replaced. If not you can actually wash the absorber in the washing machine with non bleach detergent and it should be like new. Or you didn't wash off the soap???