NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

RB26DETT swap into G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by panda007
terryw said it best... theoretically, drifting can be the quickest around a corner, but reproducing the exact same perfect drift for one corner is far less probable than gripping and shooting for the best acceleration line. race cars can accelerate at a blink of an eye... why drift if the expensive *** tires can grip the road like my paws onto a perfect pair of boobies?

that being said, i was researching onto the rb series engines and swaps into 240sx's and the amount of trouble to go through an immaculate swap is a LOT more than i expected. need to consider fabricating crossmembers for transmission and engine, fabricating a rear differential, modifying oil pan to clear sways, modifying transmission to convert to RWD... lots of factors here for a complete swap. not to mention, will need a stand-alone engine management for necessary sensors and tuning to our gas octane ratings. sure... you'll have a unique swap and probably make gobs of power... but with a heavy engine with hard to find parts stateside, will it be worth it?
It's not too difficult. I've had friend who made the swap with rb35detts in his s14 in his garage. It's a completely sick swap, but the weight disadvantage is not worth the extra power.

Yeah, and drifting even though it has been portrayed by corporate america as something else, it is the quickest way around the corner, but there are sooo many disadvantages to using it in a racing or even off road environment that you would probably be better off just using grip techniques, unless you are super skilled or if your car is dramatically underpowered compared to your competition. Drifting is all about car control. If you can drift you can use grip driving, and be more accurate with it than most other drivers.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:47 PM
OsakaDM

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
It's not too difficult. I've had friend who made the swap with rb35detts in his s14 in his garage. It's a completely sick swap, but the weight disadvantage is not worth the extra power.

Yeah, and drifting even though it has been portrayed by corporate america as something else, it is the quickest way around the corner, but there are sooo many disadvantages to using it in a racing or even off road environment that you would probably be better off just using grip techniques, unless you are super skilled or if your car is dramatically underpowered compared to your competition. Drifting is all about car control. If you can drift you can use grip driving, and be more accurate with it than most other drivers.
You meant RB25DETT? I know with the rb26dett, when you swap into the 240sx, you need to get the Skyline GT-s tranny which is RWD 5 speed. I did think about doing that but to save the pain and all the unforseen problems with the wiring, I got the SR instead. Still plenty power and fun to drive. Plus that parts at so much easier to find. RB26DET is not a GTR without the AWD. Just my opinion. Plus I am always a silvia guy.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:57 PM
zackt69

I'm about to swap an rb25det into my s13... it's really not too big of a deal if you plan everything out. There will be some extra cost, and it's not as easy as putting in the sr20, but the stock power and power potential of the rb25 is worth the extra time and cost in my opinion. Now the rb26dett requires much more fabrication, and as mentioned above you need the rwd tranny from the rb25det (not to mention a few other parts as well).

Anyway, back on topic... I think if I had a choice between putting an rb series motor in the G35, or building up and putting a twin turbo on the VQ - I would stick with the VQ. The uniqueness of the RB in the G35 is not worth the cost and time... but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Jeff92se

Doubtful since they already have a 500 hp z06 out chief and there has been no talks about a more powerful vette that I have heard. Definitely the corvette tuners will have more powerful ones but then again, people will have more powerful gt-r's than stock.
Wrong.

I kinda speak the language and have obviously been in this scene for years longer than you.
And that matters to me in what way? I've been into imports since I fixed up my first Datsun 510 20 years ago.

Point blank you are wrong, so it's your fault for the confusion "NIMROD" or fanboy.
Point blank, you didn't know any better. Even if I did say OHV.

Cracks on *** fords are always warranted. VQ 4 cylinder? lol. Yeah, there have been oil consuming problems with a few, and what has nissan done about it (they've replaced the complete engines completely unlike what ford and gm do).
There are TONS of VQ and QR motors going up in *****. The VQ powered maxima and altimas are having problems too. Nissan is not exactly standing by all of them. You don't see a recall being issued do you? For YEARS, Nissan was stating 1qt per 1k miles is "normal". You think that's normal?

Exactly which current Ford motors are having problems??? Your crack on fords just shows your ignorance. True enthusiasts aren't blinded by brand. They give respect where it's due and criticize where is warranted. No matter which brand or make. I grew up on Nissans. But that doesn't mean I automatically bow down and declare Nissan god of cars. Face it, Nissan has put out some TURDS on their own. Do you even know what ford is doing in other countries? It's hilarious that you think the RB I-6 series is the god of all engines when Ford in Australia has their own turbo straight six powering the Falcon. lol. Ford of Europe has had their Cosworth (yes the same company that's working with Nissan on the new VQ engines) power turbo 4/6 cylinders that would give any Nissan engine a run for their money. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-17-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Mase4g63

The Z06 SS is the upgrade version of the C6 Z06...supercharged.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 PM
terryw

the Z06 uses the LS7 engine, 7.0 liter NA OHV small block V8, while the blue devil/ss/Z07 whatever they are going to call it, uses a supercharged version of the LS2 which is the 6.0L engine in the regular corvette, so its more of a upgraded version of the regular vette as opposed to the z06

Last edited by terryw; 04-17-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Jeff92se

Good info. If they SC the LS7, it would be lights out for everyone

Originally Posted by terryw
the Z06 uses the LS7 engine, 7.0 liter NA OHV small block V8, while the blue devil/ss/Z07 whatever they are going to call it, uses a supercharged version of the LS2 which is the 6.0L engine in the regular corvette, so its more of a upgraded version of the regular vette as opposed to the z06
Old 04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Good info. If they SC the LS7, it would be lights out for everyone
fanboy!!!!!! Can't tell you how many broken c5's I've seen at the auto-x's. I can only imagine how "wonderful" the c6's are. What's the compression on the ls7? It's kinda hard to imagine they would SP the ls7 but gm has done stupider things in the past. Not that I really care, I just hate the incessant vette worshiping by you middle age guys. Way to fill the stereotype lol. I still want to see a guy from this forum perform this swap.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:12 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by OsakaDM
You meant RB25DETT? I know with the rb26dett, when you swap into the 240sx, you need to get the Skyline GT-s tranny which is RWD 5 speed. I did think about doing that but to save the pain and all the unforseen problems with the wiring, I got the SR instead. Still plenty power and fun to drive. Plus that parts at so much easier to find. RB26DET is not a GTR without the AWD. Just my opinion. Plus I am always a silvia guy.
yeah it was the 25 not the 26. woooops typo. It's a really tight fit in the S14.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Jeff92se

Um if they SC the LS7, they would certianly lower the CR. Just like they are doing with the new GT-R motor. duh

You know what I hate? The adolescent worshipping of the RB engine that's been discontinued YEARS ago. It's heavy and long. Gee what a great idea for a swap!

I like what I like. Doesn't matter who ELSE likes it. I like the SR20DET. So what does that make me? I like the FJ20DET. I like the 12A turbo. I like classic hemis. I like the SC DOHC Northstar engine. You even know what these engines are?

Yeah, 500hp out of a compact all almuminum V8. Gee how stupid of them. Just like the numerous oil consuming VQ35s??

Fanboy. What a joke.

fanboy!!!!!! Can't tell you how many broken c5's I've seen at the auto-x's. I can only imagine how "wonderful" the c6's are. What's the compression on the ls7? It's kinda hard to imagine they would SP the ls7 but gm has done stupider things in the past. Not that I really care, I just hate the incessant vette worshiping by you middle age guys. Way to fill the stereotype lol. I still want to see a guy from this forum perform this swap.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
shibal_z

Interesting... My boy is scoping out for a S13 convertible to do his JDM frontend and RB26DETT swap. I think he's been stalking JE Import Performance to do the work with the swap, rewiring, and probably all of his other mods.

If anyone knows where my boy can get a S13 convertible on the cheap with no salvage title, PM me.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Jeff92se

I'd much rather see a VQ30DET swap than a RB swap. But you know? That's just me talking. Roughly the same "stockish" hp. Aro 280hp or so. The VQ30 weighs in at about 320-ish for a na version. A RB is what? 550-700lbs? Funk dat.

Originally Posted by shibal_z
Interesting... My boy is scoping out for a S13 convertible to do his JDM frontend and RB26DETT swap. I think he's been stalking JE Import Performance to do the work with the swap, rewiring, and probably all of his other mods.

If anyone knows where my boy can get a S13 convertible on the cheap with no salvage title, PM me.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Um if they SC the LS7, they would certianly lower the CR. Just like they are doing with the new GT-R motor. duh
I'm assuming they would do that, but it still sounds reeeaaallllyyy dumb since the thing is already 500 hp and compete directly with the viper (which I would take over the little vette anyday). There's no way GM would do that.

You know what I hate? The adolescent worshipping of the RB engine that's been discontinued YEARS ago. It's heavy and long. Gee what a great idea for a swap!
I don't worship the motor and would never do that to my car. I would either turbo it or follow the q45 + TT swaps that two people on the forum are doing if I were to perform an engine swap. P.S. I'm 23 so I'm not exactly an adolescent grandpa.

I like what I like. Doesn't matter who ELSE likes it. I like the SR20DET. So what does that make me? I like the FJ20DET. I like the 12A turbo. I like classic hemis. I like the SC DOHC Northstar engine. You even know what these engines are?
yeah, which is fine but you will be harrassed if you keep telling people to swap in an american V8 into a japanese car. If you want an american V8 buy an american car.

Yeah, 500hp out of a compact all almuminum V8. Gee how stupid of them. Just like the numerous oil consuming VQ35s??

Fanboy. What a joke.
I don't know what you are talking about here since the ls7 is already 500 hp and we were talking about a sp one lol. Don't even get me started on how ****ty american cars are lol. And yes you are "fanboy vette" a.k.a. the vette fanboy forever now since you keep preaching to the GM crowd on a nissan board lol.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by JONFLIP29
Well being bored here at work on a saturday got me the thinking of something crazy to do. I've been researching a RB swap into my G35 instead of spending $7k for a twin turbo kit for my VQ35. And thats the kit only. RB26 twin turbo GTR full swap with a GTS tranny (rwd trans) cost about $4200 shipped. Then of course addition cost for installation b/c I don't think i'm down to do the swap myself. *Although it'd be cool if I did do it myself* JE Performance in B-more, which some of you may know the owner James Evans with that grey RB26TT S13, they can do the swap into the G35 with no problem. And i'd also keep the car emissions legal. Hmmm food for thought. What do you guys think? Good next step?
the new turbo magazine cover has a G with this swap and "JE" is written all over this car. Is this the same "JE" tuning shop that is in baltimore that keeps getting insanely good reviews?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Jeff92se

I'm assuming they would do that, but it still sounds reeeaaallllyyy dumb since the thing is already 500 hp and compete directly with the viper (which I would take over the little vette anyday). There's no way GM would do that.
They are already SCng the lower displacement motor so SC this one isn't hard. If the hp wars continue, I bet GM will consider this.

I don't worship the motor and would never do that to my car. I would either turbo it or follow the q45 + TT swaps that two people on the forum are doing if I were to perform an engine swap. P.S. I'm 23 so I'm not exactly an adolescent grandpa.
Laughable. I have no IDEA (or care for that matter) how old you are. You ACT like a little child. Drooling over the RB26DETT like eye candy. The only reason is because everyone else thinks it's the god's gift to the world. Please man, spare me

yeah, which is fine but you will be harrassed if you keep telling people to swap in an american V8 into a japanese car. If you want an american V8 buy an american car.
Harass all they want. IF THEY CAN BACK IT UP WITH LEGIMATE conversation as to why/why not. The origin of the engine is NOT a valid (or even remotely logical for that matter) argument. Engines and cars don't have FEELINGS. Nor do they care where the engine is from.

I don't know what you are talking about here since the ls7 is already 500 hp and we were talking about a sp one lol. Don't even get me started on how ****ty american cars are lol. And yes you are "fanboy vette" a.k.a. the vette fanboy forever now since you keep preaching to the GM crowd on a nissan board lol.
You just stated american engines/cars are sh1tty. Um 500hp out of a small v8 is sh1tty? Riiiight. GM LS series V8s have been praised by the automotive industry. If it's soooo bad, how come you can't come up with ANYTHING REMOTELY technical as to why???? Because you can't.
I don't even particually LIKE the Vette. It's a very nice car. It tears a new one in ANYTHING nissan has to offer. Who wait, I know what you are going to say. Nissan blind faith coming on folks! "wait until the GT-R comes!!! "just you wait!" LOL. Yes, the all might GT-R. With what? 450-500hp? Nice. GM has already been there and done that. Years ago and with pushrods and na power. They are already settting their target at 600+ hp now.

What I like is the LS series engine. I don't know how many times I've said this. Yet you "attempt" to call me fanboy. Gee, still can't come up with your own flame names BustedJustin?

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-26-2007 at 12:55 PM.