NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

RB26DETT swap into G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Mase4g63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
yeah, your wrong again. Drifting is only now about show. It started out on the track, auto-x, and the touge in order to beat faster cars with usually underpowered ones.

Are you on crack? What makes you think a drifting around the track is faster? Different class buddy. Drifting is judge by points which was won by sam h. with the Mopar Viper for 2006. While the world record holder for time attack belongs to the Cyber Evo with under a minute. Drifting is SHOW!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
terryw

I think the confusion here comes from the definition of drifting...
its important to note that drifting is both

a driving technique
and a sport

according to some dude on wikipedia

Modern drifting started out as a racing technique popular in the All Japan Touring Car Championship races over 30 years ago. Motorcycling legend turned driver, Kunimitsu Takahashi, was the foremost creator of drifting techniques in the 1970s. He was famous for hitting the apex (the point where the car is closest to the inside of a turn) at high speed and then drifting through the corner, preserving a high exit speed. This earned him several championships and a legion of fans who enjoyed the spectacle of burning tires.

The bias ply racing tires of the 1960s-1980s lent themselves to driving styles with a high slip angle. As professional racers in Japan drove this way, so did the street racers.

It has to be the right situation/tire and right type of corner where drifting is the fastest way around a corner or corners. Today's racing tires are not optimal for drifting. Another huge draw back that prevents it from used too much is that it degrades the tire immensely thus often times making it not worth while. I think its not done in F1 because of the immense grip of the F1 tires and the cars' relative light weight making it very difficult to execute.

as a sport drifting around a track is by no means the fastest way around a corner. in fact driving sideways on the straights is retarded in a time attack.
Even in Initial D, they only drift around corners....
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Jeff92se

So basicly Drifto has been useless since the 70s really has no legitimate place in racing for the last 30+ years. Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
kraqcommando

well if he got an ls2 wouldent it be much harder for after market upgrades?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 AM
pdjafari

^^I dunno about aftermarket, but it would be pretty redneck if he put an LS2 in a JDM car
Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 AM
terryw

Originally Posted by kraqcommando
hes already said multiple times that hes not interested in doing that. but modding potential for NA LS2 is actually very high, intake, exhaust, pulley etc gets you a lot of power.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Jeff92se

You kidding me?!?! Cams, headers, ecu reprograms, intake manifolds, TBs, peformance rockers, heads, etc etc etc.... And these mods actually make power

Originally Posted by kraqcommando
Old 04-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Jeff92se

yeah soooo redneck. As redneck as a LS2 FD RX7 making 400 na hp while still retaining a 50/50 weight dist.

Yeah, give me that redneck mobile any day of the week.
Originally Posted by pdjafari
^^I dunno about aftermarket, but it would be pretty redneck if he put an LS2 in a JDM car

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-11-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
pdjafari

Old 04-11-2007, 02:19 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by pdjafari
jeff's solution to any thing is always drop a chevy engine. What can we say, he's quite the vette fanboy.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
imandresing22
is way gangster..

Originally Posted by terryw
drifting is never the fastest way around a track... this was said by the drift king, Tsuchya him self. its about being in control of an out of control car...its more of a beautiful artistic performance than racing.
Exactly!.. Tsuchiya said himself that it was never a tactic to get the best track lap times. It's a form of art, that's why they're judged by angle, entry speed, longevity of holding it sideways, amt. of smoke, connecting of turns.. yada yada. Check out some of the original Option videos, or Best motoring. He says it almost at the beginning of every competition. Gripping is how you get the best times.. not drifting.
yeah so you adjust the suspension settings to match the track and what you are doing. The same general rules for setting up a car in road racing apply in drifting. It's not very complicated. Drifting didn't and shouldn't today be just about the show and slide. It should be about carrying speed through a corner to increase lap times. This is why it was developed, and how it should have stayed (IMA). Yeah, the current cars, when setup suspension wise for a drift event wouldn't be able to match the track times of a track prepped car, but once the car is matched for the given event, the drift cars should be able to compete pretty easily.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Jeff92se

I thought you would chime in with a lame crack vs some facts against my data.

And you are yet again wrong. If FORD had an all aluminum SOHV v8 making 350-400hp na, then I'd be proposing THAT for a swap. Nissan and Lexus do make relatively smallish aluminum V8s but they don't have the ease of swap nor the aftermarket support.

And since both the LS1 and LS2 are NOT exclusive to the Corvette, then it's quite clear I'm not a "vette fanboy". Not that would be the worst thing to be a fan of. Since Nissan has NOTHING in it's arsenal to touch a Z06

But now I suppose you will start replying to this thread vs addressing the others that have clarified your fundamental misconceptions about "drifto".

jeff's solution to any thing is always drop a chevy engine. What can we say, he's quite the vette fanboy.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:27 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I thought you would chime in with a lame crack vs some facts against my data.

And you are yet again wrong. If FORD had an all aluminum SOHV v8 making 350-400hp na, then I'd be proposing THAT for a swap. Nissan and Lexus do make relatively smallish aluminum V8s but they don't have the ease of swap nor the aftermarket support.

And since both the LS1 and LS2 are NOT exclusive to the Corvette, then it's quite clear I'm not a "vette fanboy". Not that would be the worst thing to be a fan of. Since Nissan has NOTHING in it's arsenal to touch a Z06

But now I suppose you will start replying to this thread vs addressing the others that have clarified your fundamental misconceptions about "drifto".
come early next year the gt-r will be out, which will spank your little vette fanboy. One just because you know nothing about drifting "dorifuto" in japanese big guy, doesn't mean others are wrong. You have been clearly wrong throughout this entire thread chief.

p.s. SOHV? lol Didn't you mean SOHC (which is anchient technology). Sorry I don't follow fok f.o.r.d.s. (fix or repair daily)
Old 04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by imandresing22
Exactly!.. Tsuchiya said himself that it was never a tactic to get the best track lap times. It's a form of art, that's why they're judged by angle, entry speed, longevity of holding it sideways, amt. of smoke, connecting of turns.. yada yada. Check out some of the original Option videos, or Best motoring. He says it almost at the beginning of every competition. Gripping is how you get the best times.. not drifting.
No he doesn't. I bought most of them when they first came out. Drifting now adays is an art form. In the past it was harked as a racing technique. Of course this technique is only one of many in the racer's arsenal (yes drifting is super hard on everything on the car, which is why you can't use it too much). Gripping for the most part is how you get the best lap times, but a mix of both grip and drift can give minimize your times even further.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Jeff92se

Name ONE form of racing other than Rally, that proves drifting is benefical! ONE!

Gripping for the most part is how you get the best lap times, but a mix of both grip and drift can give minimize your times even further.

Quick Reply: RB26DETT swap into G35