NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

RB26DETT swap into G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Jeff92se

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit confused on how the following statements about drift suspensions below are geared toward perfect balance and increased handling in areas other than this very narrow "sport" segment. ie... take a drift car out to an road racing track and see how it would perform. Or even on the street vs a well prepared tracked car.

The suspension in a drift car tends to have very high spring and damper rates. Sway bars are upgraded, particularly on the rear. Caster is often increased to improve the car's controllability during a slide. Most cars use an integrated coilover/shock (MacPherson strut) combination. This type of suspension allows the ride height to be adjusted independently of the suspension travel. There is no perfect height setting or spring/shock combo for any car, but each driver will have their own personal preference. Many suspension manufacturers offer suspension tuned specifically for drifting, allowing many people to enter the sport competitively.

Bushings can be upgraded with urethane parts. Most Nissan vehicles have a floating rear subframe which is usually fixed in position with billet aluminium or urethane "drift pineapples", to prevent the frame moving during drift.

One suspension tuning method, still popular in Japan, is known as "Demon Camber" (Japanese: 鬼カム, Oni-kamu). It involves setting the suspension with extreme negative camber in the front to reduce slide. Negative camber on the rear would only induce understeer, making the car more difficult to drift. The front of the car having better grip and less tendency to slide, it is easier to swing the rear of the car around to get a good drift angle. However stability, grip, and overall ability to control the car are compromised. It has thus fallen out of favor as a serious performance-minded suspension setup. However, many cars built for show (such as those driven by bōsōzoku) still use this style of suspension setup for its aggressive look. A few degrees of toe-out on the rear wheels[possibly incorrect toe-out in rear is never done; it's unsafe] in some vehicles (leading edges angled outward) can improve turn-in, and make setting up a drift a little easier.
Generally drifting consumes tires rapidly and multiple sets may be necessary for a single professional event.

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
wrong wrong wrong wrong. drift cars need to be perfectly balanced. Weight and suspension are everything to them. They do everything to minimize the weight and maximize ballance. show me one competitive drift car that has this swap (there is none). Calvin wan has the vq twin turboed, and chris has a gm v8 swapped in. Maybe a few guys that are still underground are doing this, but for drifting the lighter vq is ideal. A supercharged ls2 would be heavier than a turboed rb (which is capable of way over 1000 hp not like the stupid sp chevy v8).

not trying to start the import vs. domestic wars again jeff lol
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by Nismo G
We all know that a cast aluminum block is going to be lighter than an iron block, that is a no brainer. How much does the VQ weigh? If he is going to fvck up the weight by putting a different engine in it anyways then what does it matter? Unless the LS2 weighs the exact same as the VQ then the weight is going to be screwed anyways so what does it matter...?
Because he can get the same HP W/O the weight and packaging penalty. I don't see a problem in that? Why take a XXX lb penalty when you don't have to??

You see the question isn't LS2 VS V6. Although he might do well against a VQ w/ TT and intercoolers vs na LS2. Power might be approximately the same.

The question is LS2 vs RB26DETT all dressed.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Mase4g63

The weight of the engine is focking overrated. The power you will make out of the motor will even out with the weight.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
terryw

omg Drama on the NGC board, and Lek is not involved?!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
terryw

jon already have a light weight drift car.. a FC
Old 04-09-2007, 10:01 PM
JONFLIP29

WHOA WHOA WHOA...how did this stir up!? ok let me state this, Hell no i would never put an america motor in my G. second, i know this swap would be alot more than going FI on my VQ but i'm all about being different and haven't something not everybody else has. third, i don't give a shyt about how much more the RB is than the VQ, this is NOT my track car, my drift car or my drag car. so let cut all the technical bullshyt b/c it doesn't apply to me when it comes to trying to build a perfect balanced drift car or whatever. like terry said, i do have my drift car which a 1987 RX7 turbo. and for further information, the G35 done by JE performance cost around 40k to do but other mods were done. the RB swap at its cheapest will be around 15k by JE. i spoke with James Evans today about it and him being the expert at it, he thinks its a great swap to do. we're talking about a better motor here, not some heavy *** system in my trunk.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Nismo G

Originally Posted by JONFLIP29
WHOA WHOA WHOA...how did this stir up!? ok let me state this, Hell no i would never put an america motor in my G. second, i know this swap would be alot more than going FI on my VQ but i'm all about being different and haven't something not everybody else has. third, i don't give a shyt about how much more the RB is than the VQ, this is NOT my track car, my drift car or my drag car. so let cut all the technical bullshyt b/c it doesn't apply to me when it comes to trying to build a perfect balanced drift car or whatever. like terry said, i do have my drift car which a 1987 RX7 turbo. and for further information, the G35 done by JE performance cost around 40k to do but other mods were done. the RB swap at its cheapest will be around 15k by JE. i spoke with James Evans today about it and him being the expert at it, he thinks its a great swap to do. we're talking about a better motor here, not some heavy *** system in my trunk.
Thank you god!!!!!!! Jeff see all your bullsh!t was for nothing. It seems as though my assumptions were correct.

-Sean
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'm a bit confused on how the following statements about drift suspensions below are geared toward perfect balance and increased handling in areas other than this very narrow "sport" segment. ie... take a drift car out to an road racing track and see how it would perform. Or even on the street vs a well prepared tracked car.
yeah so you adjust the suspension settings to match the track and what you are doing. The same general rules for setting up a car in road racing apply in drifting. It's not very complicated. Drifting didn't and shouldn't today be just about the show and slide. It should be about carrying speed through a corner to increase lap times. This is why it was developed, and how it should have stayed (IMA). Yeah, the current cars, when setup suspension wise for a drift event wouldn't be able to match the track times of a track prepped car, but once the car is matched for the given event, the drift cars should be able to compete pretty easily.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Is this 15k with a stock rb? I hope not. It would be pretty pointless to swap in a heavier motor that only puts out as much power as the vq. I wouldn't swap in a rb with less than 500 hp in all candor.

p.s. FC's rule!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 PM
JONFLIP29

yeah so you adjust the suspension settings to match the track and what you are doing. The same general rules for setting up a car in road racing apply in drifting. It's not very complicated. Drifting didn't and shouldn't today be just about the show and slide. It should be about carrying speed through a corner to increase lap times. This is why it was developed, and how it should have stayed (IMA). Yeah, the current cars, when setup suspension wise for a drift event wouldn't be able to match the track times of a track prepped car, but once the car is matched for the given event, the drift cars should be able to compete pretty easily.

very so true! found that out the hard way by putting my rear end of the RX7 into the wall. after adjustments were made, it made it a lot easier to slide the car and control it.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
eemon10

Originally Posted by eemon10
how much would all this cost,total??...and what kind of numbers would u be running
????
Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
JONFLIP29

Is this 15k with a stock rb? I hope not. It would be pretty pointless to swap in a heavier motor that only puts out as much power as the vq. I wouldn't swap in a rb with less than 500 hp in all candor.

p.s. FC's rule!!!
this is a RB with around 350-380 hp.

p.s. FC's do rule! lol i love that car.

Originally Posted by eemon10
????
and for further information, the G35 done by JE performance cost around 40k to do but other mods were done. the RB swap at its cheapest will be around 15k by JE.

Last edited by JONFLIP29; 04-09-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Jeff92se

Your assumptions about is intentions yes. The reason he agrees with you is because he doesn't have any illusions about what he's trying to accomplish. Which is fine. It's his car and he clearly knows the pros/cons of such a swap.

Jon, best of luck with the swap.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
Thank you god!!!!!!! Jeff see all your bullsh!t was for nothing. It seems as though my assumptions were correct.

-Sean

Last edited by Jeff92se; 04-09-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Jeff92se

I think in general, most road racking suspension setups don't include dialing in massive oversteer and massive neg camber in the front to faciliate rear sliding. Suspensions for road tracking DO include tendencies toward over/understeer depending on the track. But they would almost never include setups like the article I posted. I think power sliding has it's place in some forms of racing like Rally. But I've never seen a nascar, F1, SCCA or European type racing feature sliding around a corner being the fastest way around a track.

IMHO, once you "prep" a drift car to a track, you've essentially taken all the specific things that allowed the car to drift away. It's no longer a drift car.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
terryw

drifting is never the fastest way around a track... this was said by the drift king, Tsuchya him self. its about being in control of an out of control car...its more of a beautiful artistic performance than racing.

Quick Reply: RB26DETT swap into G35